· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-27-2002, 12:56 AM   #1
Cosmic_Horror
Golden Member

Default monitor has pink tint! :( is this fixable?

hi i have a 17" monitor that has suddenly a pink tint to it... check thru some things in the video options leads me to believe the green gun has died. I have no other monitor or video card to check this with but i am pretty sure it is the moniotr.
Is this fixable? this monitor is almost 5 years old and untill now has been excellent. Or am i better off just replacing it?
thanks for any comments...
Cosmic_Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 01:37 AM   #2
Cabana

This happened to me with an IBM monitor. I found that it would turn pink after a certain amount of use, which lead me to conclude that it was overheating. I opened it up and took off the big metal shield inside. This solved the problem, but now the monitor has to operate without a case. Also, the cover held the whole thing together so now the front has to be propped up. I don't really recommend this, but it's better than a pink monitor. Luckily it's an extra monitor I don't have to use much.
Cabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 02:31 AM   #3
gsethi
Diamond Member

Dont ever open your monitor and take off the shields. Each and every CRT radiates and those shields are there to protect us from Radiation. If you are operating your monitor w/o those shields, then you are getting exposed to Radiation (i would recommend a Doctor checkup for you) Also, pls tell me who you are so that i can stay about 1 mile away from you

as for the pink tint to your monitor, i had that once and thought my monitor was gone. Just when i was unplugging my monitor, i noticed that 2 of the pins (at the vga connector) were joined together. I separated them and straightened them and it was fine then. Monitor has been running excellent for 6+ years now.

If you disagree with me or think that I made a typographical error, then you are not thinking right. Think Again.
gsethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:58 AM   #4
Cosmic_Horror
Golden Member

thanks for the info guys... i have checked the pins on the cable and they seemed ok, and i have managed to find an old spare vga cable and still have a pink tint..

I know well enough not to open up the monitor,... even turned off they hold a huge amount of charge..

i do not think it is a heat problem as the room the computer is in doesn't get very hot... might have to see if i can vacuum any dust out of it etc...

thanks again guys...
Old 08-27-2002, 10:43 AM   #5
Cabana

Well like I said, I don't use it much at all, in fact I think I broke the damn thing moving it. Whoever designed it didn't do a good job as that shield causes it to overheat. Wooo radiation.
Cabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:03 AM   #6
Gosharkss

Quote:
Originally posted by: gsethi
Dont ever open your monitor and take off the shields. Each and every CRT radiates and those shields are there to protect us from Radiation. If you are operating your monitor w/o those shields, then you are getting exposed to Radiation (i would recommend a Doctor checkup for you) Also, pls tell me who you are so that i can stay about 1 mile away from you

as for the pink tint to your monitor, i had that once and thought my monitor was gone. Just when i was unplugging my monitor, i noticed that 2 of the pins (at the vga connector) were joined together. I separated them and straightened them and it was fine then. Monitor has been running excellent for 6+ years now.
If you are so concerned about radiation you should read THIS.
Gosharkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:20 AM   #7
EJ

I know you said you checked but just to be sure, was your monitor's color mode changed to 6500k or maybe less? That will give it a pink tint as well.

Might want to check your monitors color profile too. control panel -> display -> settings -> advanced -> color management (or something like this)

EJ
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 06:10 AM   #8
TheCorm
Diamond Member

I had this with a viewsonic once...came and went...bashing it usualy solved

I also encountered it with using certain colour management software such as 3deep so what EJ said is a good thing to check too.
TheCorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:30 AM   #9
Cosmic_Horror
Golden Member

my monitor is a veiwsonic P775 17" about 4 1/2 years old...

i have changed the colour temp to 9000K and it isn't as bad but still pink...

playign with the colour correction i can't get any green to change the colour of the screen (unlike blue and red which i can saturate the screen with)

thanks again for the tips...