Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Wheatmaster
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,882
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

General Business management can be pretty much applied in any industry. My university offers a business minor and I think I can complete it along with my BSAE and still graduate on time (4 years). The question is, will it be worth it? I want to diversify my knowledge and not just end up another "engineer" in the architectural engineering/construction field. But will taking courses like Principles of Accounting, Marketing, etc really help me professional and personally (i.e. managing my own assets/liabilities)? Thanks
Wheatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Deeko
Lifer
 
Deeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 29,843
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Even if the degree is useless, the information isn't bad to know. I graduated with a BS in Comp Sci and a minor in business administration, some of the classes were useless (organizational behavior for instance), whereas business law, accounting, and econ were fairly interesting information. Might as well take those classes instead of general electives, ya know?
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Queasy
Moderator
Console Gaming
 
Queasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 31,796
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Yes, it will help you as long as you perform well in those classes. It will help you get a job and it will help you to be more than just an engineer.
__________________
Forza4 Game Night - Weds 9PM EST | XBL - Queasy1 | PSN - Queasy1

Writing Gigs: Examiner Console Gaming | Video Game Writers
Queasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
magomago
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 10,672
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

sure go for it xD I ended up starting that, but then dropped it in favor of another degree and another minor.

If anything, you get some "business logic" - something that often isn't taught in an engineering class --> but since engineering analysis is so much more difficult, business logic is easy as pie

All my Eng/ Comp Sci friends who are doing the Management/Business Minor here finds the classes ridiculously easy, and, on that rare occasion, interesting Its a great GPA booster no matter how you cut it out

edit:

alhtough wheatmaster...a LOT of engineers (atleast from who i seem to know) do this minor - and i know its the most popular minor in this school for engineers to take...so you won't necessarily be unique but you'll be another class of "another engineer" that is just a step above theo thers )
__________________
Heat 19-0-0
magomago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Wheatmaster
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,882
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: magomago
sure go for it xD I ended up starting that, but then dropped it in favor of another degree and another minor.

If anything, you get some "business logic" - something that often isn't taught in an engineering class --> but since engineering analysis is so much more difficult, business logic is easy as pie

All my Eng/ Comp Sci friends who are doing the Management/Business Minor here finds the classes ridiculously easy, and, on that rare occasion, interesting Its a great GPA booster no matter how you cut it out

edit:

alhtough wheatmaster...a LOT of engineers (atleast from who i seem to know) do this minor - and i know its the most popular minor in this school for engineers to take...so you won't necessarily be unique but you'll be another class of "another engineer" that is just a step above theo thers )
haha interesting. well the primary reason for me wanting to pursue these courses are for personal gain (i would like to learn to invest rather than just put some $ into a savings account and let inflation take over my gains on interest) along with some professional application.
Wheatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Deeko
Lifer
 
Deeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 29,843
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

If you do it, I highly recommend taking at least one, if not more, business law courses. Really interesting stuff. I took two, one on contract law, the other on business organizations/liabilities. Good stuff.
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Wheatmaster
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,882
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Deeko
If you do it, I highly recommend taking at least one, if not more, business law courses. Really interesting stuff. I took two, one on contract law, the other on business organizations/liabilities. Good stuff.
do you actually apply it anywhere or just good general knowledge to have?
Wheatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
MrBond
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 9,910
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

It will help if you ever decide to get your MBA too.
__________________
Choose, but choose wisely
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Wheatmaster
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,882
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: MrBond
It will help if you ever decide to get your MBA too.
Yeah I plan on pursuing for a MBA after a couple years of engineering experience along with getting my PE. I think the MBA/PE combo will be well worth it.
Wheatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
E equals MC2
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,677
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

It would look great for an engineer.

I was double major in management and marketing. The company I work for didn't give two craps that I double majored. I probably would've gotten in just with one major of either one.

You know that saying, ppl rarely work at places what they majored in college? That probably holds true in most cases.

As for you... if it's on the table, why not go for it and better your chances to stand out among other engineers? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
E equals MC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
Wheatmaster
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,882
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
It would look great for an engineer.

I was double major in management and marketing. The company I work for didn't give two craps that I double majored. I probably would've gotten in just with one major of either one.

You know that saying, ppl rarely work at places what they majored in college? That probably holds true in most cases.

As for you... if it's on the table, why not go for it and better your chances to stand out among other engineers? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Well I decided to take a course this quarter and see how it goes. I don't necessarily need to get the minor but I know gaining some general knowledge about management will be forever useful. Thanks
Wheatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Deeko
Lifer
 
Deeko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 29,843
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Wheatmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by: Deeko
If you do it, I highly recommend taking at least one, if not more, business law courses. Really interesting stuff. I took two, one on contract law, the other on business organizations/liabilities. Good stuff.
do you actually apply it anywhere or just good general knowledge to have?
I haven't really applied it to my job yet, but I've used it in the rest of my life. The liability knowledge alone is extremely helpful.
Deeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
AgaBoogaBoo
Lifer
 
AgaBoogaBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 26,096
Default Is a Business Minor worth the time?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Deeko
If you do it, I highly recommend taking at least one, if not more, business law courses. Really interesting stuff. I took two, one on contract law, the other on business organizations/liabilities. Good stuff.
I agree completely and strongly recommend business law courses as well.

I've taken just a few basic ones, and it's amazing how many things you can get yourself out of or help others with something basic like a store owner causing trouble. It's worth every second to be in those classes, and they'll probably introduce you to a few landmark cases that will be VERY interesting.

I can't recommend taking some basic law classes enough, it's a great way to be very well rounded in that aspect of business. It's part of playing that business game, especially with small businesses, try and use it to your advantage.
AgaBoogaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.