· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
novon
Diamond Member

Default Damn, CBN News is Racist.

Has anyone watched this fundamentalist Christian news program? I can't believe this crap is broadcasted on TV, talk about propaganda.
novon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
Murphyrulez
Golden Member

Yeah I know. I can't believe they actually let people actually say what they think. I mean, what is the world coming to? Next thing you know we will be having women baring their breasts in primetime with pasties on their nipples. Or shows devoted to promoting homosexuality.
Murphyrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:20 PM   #3
NikPreviousAcct
No Lifer

Propaganda is relative.

You consider it propaganda. People who agree with them look at what you're saying and consider your words propaganda. Get over it and turn the channel.

nik (is what you would call a "fundamentalist Christian")
NikPreviousAcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
gopunk
Lifer

what were they saying? sorry, i don't really watch any "christian" channels.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:25 PM   #5
BlueApple
Banned

Main Entry: pro·pa·gan·da
Pronunciation: "prä-p&-'gan-d&, "prO-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Congregatio de propaganda fide Congregation for propagating the faith, organization established by Pope Gregory XV died 1623
Date: 1718
1 capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions
2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #6
b0mbrman
Lifer

<< Main Entry: pro·pa·gan·da
Pronunciation: "pr&auml;-p&-'gan-d&, "prO-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Congregatio de propaganda fide Congregation for propagating the faith, organization established by Pope Gregory XV died 1623
Date: 1718
1 capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions
2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect
>>

Dang...then there's just propaganda everywhere
b0mbrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #7
Optimus
Diamond Member

While I (being religious myself) likely do NOT agree with them either, I'm not sure I'd be so quick to "shut them up".

Perhaps you can present some examples of specific things they have said and we can discuss whether they cross into hate-speach (the nature of which is a hot topic itself).

Or is this just flame-bait? Your original post, lacking examples, objectivity, and an invitation to open discussion, would lean towards that.
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #8
NikPreviousAcct
No Lifer

<< While I (being religious myself) likely do NOT agree with them either, I'm not sure I'd be so quick to "shut them up".

Perhaps you can present some examples of specific things they have said and we can discuss whether they cross into hate-speach (the nature of which is a hot topic itself).

Or is this just flame-bait? Your original post, lacking examples, objectivity, and an invitation to open discussion, would lean towards that.
>>

Optimus: yet again striking fear into the hearts of lamebrainers and flamebaits everywhere

Careful, Optimus... Novon's not going to have much of an arguement if you keep this up.

nik
Old 03-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #9
ScottyB
Diamond Member

I have to go poop. Oh, wait. That has no relavence either.
ScottyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:41 PM   #10
Nefrodite
Banned

what disturbs me is how they pretend they are a legitiimiate news organization when they painfully clearly are political and totally biased. its simply painful to watch. its like the kkk's interpretation of the news.

what disturbs me is that they get enough viewers or donations to havelasted until now....meaning that people out there do listen to that bullsh*t
Nefrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:42 PM   #11
areohbe
Banned

this has nothing to do with this thread, but has anyone else noticed the sudden surge of 'racism' threads that have sprung up since the Academy Awards?
areohbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:51 PM   #12
Optimus
Diamond Member

<< its like the kkk's interpretation of the news. >>

The KKK have clearly demonstrated that they are a hate group. Again, please provide examples of this CBN New's past instances of hate speach and we can discuss whether they actually ARE a hate group, or just a different, if unpleasant, point of view.

<< this has nothing to do with this thread, but has anyone else noticed the sudden surge of 'racism' threads that have sprung up since the Academy Awards? >>

There is actually an entire thread about just that here.

Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:52 PM   #13
Nocturnal
Lifer

<< Yeah I know. I can't believe they actually let people actually say what they think. I mean, what is the world coming to? Next thing you know we will be having women baring their breasts in primetime with pasties on their nipples. Or shows devoted to promoting homosexuality. >>

i believe mtv already promotes a lot of homosexuality :x
Old 03-27-2002, 04:53 PM   #14
NikPreviousAcct
No Lifer

<<

<< Yeah I know. I can't believe they actually let people actually say what they think. I mean, what is the world coming to? Next thing you know we will be having women baring their breasts in primetime with pasties on their nipples. Or shows devoted to promoting homosexuality. >>

i believe mtv already promotes a lot of homosexuality :x
>>

Yet another reason I don't watch it.

nik
Old 03-27-2002, 04:58 PM   #15
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

Well I did hear Pat Robertson and his clone (his son) spout BS about how Islam is a militant religion that has never known peace, preaches hate, and has no connection to Christianity or Judaism. The first is patently false and defamatory, the second true but only for a some Muslims, and the last just shows clear ignorance of history.

But then again I hear the same ignorance on the boards here.
BaliBabyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 04:59 PM   #16
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

And yes I still watch occasionally . . . Christian in remission.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:19 PM   #17
Maetryx
Diamond Member

<< what disturbs me is how they pretend they are a legitiimiate news organization when they painfully clearly are political and totally biased. >>

I would say the same of many, many media organizations. The mainstream media outlets are clearly left biased, yet they insist they are neutral and ubiased. Not to say that CBN is not biased.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:52 PM   #18
BlueApple
Banned

<< The mainstream media outlets are clearly left biased, yet they insist they are neutral and ubiased. >>

If all are left biased, wouldn't that make them all central since they have nothing to compare to?
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 05:55 PM   #19
Maetryx
Diamond Member

Perhaps the mainstream media is center or moderate biased then. But they are not neutral.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:56 PM   #20
todpod
Golden Member

At least you know what CBN's motives are unlike others who try and hide their bias.
todpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 05:57 PM   #21
SociallyChallenged
Elite

Those shows are pretty whacked out. They shame us Christians. They say they need more donations when they have MORE than enough. I think they should be put out of business. I'm pretty sure God doesn't want money received from doing something wrong, like deceiving people.

Am I right?
I am a doctor of physical therapy. Information I provide is based on subjective report alone. This frequently results in speculation and, as a result, may not always be accurate. Thus I am not liable for any action taken based on information provided.

Now offering physical therapy consultation services via Skype, e-mail, and phone. Please PM me for details.
SociallyChallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 05:57 PM   #22
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

You lost me there . . . if the mainstream media is moderate doesn't that make them relatively neutral ala not at the extremes or particularly tilted towards the extremes?
Old 03-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #23
Amused
Elite Member

As I read this entire thread I eagerly awaited the "racist" propaganda from CBN.

To my great dismay, it never appeared.

Look, I dislike CBN as it is pretty much 180 degrees from my personal beliefs. In fact, when I was a liberal atheist activist years ago, I used to watch the show just to see what they were up to. Not once did I see anything racist on it. I saw many, many irrational fear based things, but not racism.

If this is related to Islam, their dislike of Islam is not racist. It's just good business. Ford spends it's time slandering GM and vice versa. What do you expect one religion to do about a competing religion? Praise it? [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img] Muslims in the middle east are exactly the same way, only they are in power there which means it's even worse. Luckily, Robertson's credibility has been shot, and the Separation of church and state holds strong in our great country.

Perhaps a thread title change is in order?

Join Now!!!

Everything I post is, by default, NSFW. There's your warning! Now stop wasting your boss' money and get back to work!
Amused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:28 PM   #24
Nefrodite
Banned

well when i brought up the kkk it wasn't in a racist context more of a fear and paranoia+perception through their wonderful reality distortoiin field

and could these people look less stylish? They look @#% cultish with their church marm outfits and hair
Nefrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:31 PM   #25
BaliBabyDoc
Lifer

and could these people look less stylish? They look @#% cultish with their church marm outfits and hair

Stop defaming decent, God-loving cults by associating them with the 700Club/CBN . . .