· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-23-2002, 01:19 AM   #1
Tanner
Diamond Member

Default My Bank CHARGED ME for someone else's BAD CHECK!!!

I consider myself somewhat levelheaded and like to think that I've got a good head on my shoulders...but I almost LOST IT when I got THIS BS in the mail today!

My bank, FirstSUCKYstar, sent ME the bad check and informed me that I would be charged the $8.00 for the bad check!!!!

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!!!!!!! :disgust:
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:20 AM   #2
dude8604
Platinum Member

Well a good start would be to call them...maybe THE PLACE THAT SENT IT TO YOU MIGHT KNOW. << sorry about the caps...
Old 03-23-2002, 01:22 AM   #3
chuckieland
Diamond Member

it's the bank
there nothing you can do but complaint and bitch like crazy
chuckieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:23 AM   #4
Mangos

$8? Oh no.
Mangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:24 AM   #5
yakko
Lifer

Go talk to your bank not us.
yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:24 AM   #6
cressida
Platinum Member

it's not the 8 dollar fee that is the problem ... it just looks bad on your record
cressida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:28 AM   #7
Phil21
Golden Member

yeah, I always found this stupid as heck. I mean, wtf? Yeah guys.. I purposely deposited this check I knew was going to bounce on me..... Right.

Just a way to scam more money I guess.

The only thing you should be liable for in fees if a check bounces on you, are overdraft fees resulting from you being an idiot and using the funds before it's known if the check cleared or not. Otherwise I think the banks need to be regulated in this matter.

shrug.

-Phil
Phil21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:40 AM   #8
Tanner
Diamond Member

yeah I'd have to agree...if I went and started spending it before it even cleared...I'd have overdraft fees to contend with TOO...fortunately/unfortunately the bank requires minimums...so I think that I'll just going in tomorrow morning and make their Saturday have a BAAAAAAAAAAAD taste. I think that I'll enjoy the next few years of RENTING and not having to depend on a FRIGGIN' BANK! Then, later on...when I HAVE to, I'll get w/ a bank for a friggin loan! BLEH!

Ah well...U guys just about said it, go talk to the bank...I just wondered if any of you had had this experience w/ first SUCKY start before.

Thx.
Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:51 AM   #9
Kelvrick
Lifer

It happened to me too. I was charged 5 bucks but then I just accepted it.

<< it's not the 8 dollar fee that is the problem ... it just looks bad on your record >>

I didn't know it went on your record as anything. Would you care to explain further on this?

Trying hard not to troll. Don't make it hard on me.
Kelvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:53 AM   #10
cressida
Platinum Member

I'm not too familar about banks and stuff ... just my friend tells me, it affects your credit if the bank reports it or something he says.
cressida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:06 AM   #11
tcsenter
Lifer

<< SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS ISN'T HAPPENING >>

Welcome to the 20th century, banks have been doing that since like...1950 or something. It only reflects badly on the person who wrote the check. It is your job to now get the $8.00 from the person who wrote you the bogus check.
tcsenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:18 AM   #12
masterxfob
Diamond Member

well, you are allowed to charge the person that wrote you a bad check like $20 or something like that, even if you were only charged $8 for the bad check.

Old 03-23-2002, 03:23 AM   #13
BornStar
Diamond Member

Yeah, I don't understand why banks do this. I work in the IT department at a local bank and I found out about this policy so I questioned it. Apparently, yes, you're supposed to know better than to accept a check from somebody who you suspect doesn't have the money to clear it. My suggestion is to go after the person who wrote you the check.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:27 AM   #14
trulfe

another way to solve this if you feel that the check may be bad, would be to cash the check from the bank that they bank at if it is local and then bring the cash to your bank for deposit. It may be a hassle but will ensure that you get the money and dont get charged fees.
trulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:30 AM   #15
Pundit

I worked in a bank, so I know how it works. You deposit checks into your account. That check is a just a piece of paper until they collect the money from the bank of the guy who wrote it. If it comes back as NSF (non-sufficient funds), they deem you more likely to bounce a check in the future. So if you have a history of one or more bounced checks, they may decide to hold your future checks to make sure they don't incur a loss.

Furthermore, if you don't have much money in your account, or sufficient collateral to cover a check (terms, CDs, etc), they will almost certainly hold your checks. Some banks charge for an NSF. The one I worked at only charged business account clients. This charge you incurred was certainly stated when you opened your account. The onus is on you to know what charges are included in your account.

In your situation, I would hold the person who wrote the check responsible for the fee. Writing a check when there is no money in one's account is fraud here in Canada. However, if you go to your bank tomorrow and ask nicely, I'm sure they'll reverse it for you. Don't go in there angry. They probably face so many angry customers that they are immune to intimidation. Good luck
Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 03:31 AM   #16
Pundit

<< another way to solve this if you feel that the check may be bad, would be to cash the check from the bank that they bank at if it is local and then bring the cash to your bank for deposit. It may be a hassle but will ensure that you get the money and dont get charged fees. >>

Some banks won't cash a check for you unless you are a customer there.
Old 03-23-2002, 03:51 AM   #17
veryape
Platinum Member

<< $8? Oh no. >>

Hey, since $8.00 to you appears to be a drop in the bucket even when it's not your bill, why don't you pay it for him, asshole?
veryape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:08 AM   #18
rival
Diamond Member

i always thought banks charged both parties when a bad check tries to get past the system...hence why every store you go into has a '$25 bad check fee' sign on the register...

banks to have alot of whackjob fees and bullschit, but they have to make money too
rival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:10 AM   #19
rubix
Golden Member

go to the bank and tell them to remove the charge. if they don't, ask them for a pen and then stab yourself in the eye with it. then sue them for giving you the pen.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:13 AM   #20
trulfe

<<

>>

hmm. i never heard of this. possibly smaller banks?? most banks ive encountered, as long as the account is through their bank and you can provide two pieces of ID and a thumbprint, will cash out for you.
trulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 04:24 AM   #21
Pundit

<<

<<

>>

hmm. i never heard of this. possibly smaller banks?? most banks ive encountered, as long as the account is through their bank and you can provide two pieces of ID and a thumbprint, will cash out for you.
>>

Well, here in Canada there are many bank frauds occuring, so many do not cash checks for non-customers. They will, however, certify the check so that the check bearer may easily cash it at his bank.

When I was still working at the bank, our branch incurred very few losses. Just before I quit, a long-time "preferred" customer made off with $250,000! Don't know if they caught him though...
Old 03-23-2002, 05:46 AM   #22
Mark R
Diamond Member

Not all banks will charge you for attempting to deposit a bad cheque but many do - $8.00 seems like a very fair charge.

What I suggest you do is to contact the person that wrote the cheque (no doubt he will have incurred a similar, and usually higher fee on his end), and demand full and immediate CASH payment of the full amount of the cheque plus a small fee (e.g. $25.00) to cover the $8.00 and your time.
Mark R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 07:07 AM   #23

Yeah, that's happened to me before too. My boss made a mistake and all our paychecks bounced one pay period last summer - I was charged $5 by TCF for depositing a bounced check.

Since it was my boss' bank that made a mistake, I took the statement of charges to them and they gave me $5 cash.

Talk to the person who gave you the check - bring your brass knuckles along if you want to REALLY convince them to pay you the $8.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:47 AM   #24
cavingjan
Golden Member

I owuldn't be as worried about the bad check charge as much as the fact that you got nothign from the check itself.
Odds favor that you are stuck with the bank charge.
At least they didn't double charge a check of yours. Thankfully I had enough money to cover them posting the same check twice. It was fixed in about 2 days.
cavingjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:30 AM   #25
Turin39789
Lifer

Yea most of teh banks here now will not cash a check unless you have an account. Of course they are willing to do so for a fee. Used to work with a guy who ran an ink company, he sometimes had to stay late and go with his employees to his bank because most of them did not have accounts and the bank would not cash their own checks. Banks have recently fallen to the level of telemarketers IMHO. There was a poll done a few years back that gauged customer confidence etc with industries. I am hoping they have teh ballz to do this again because i think banks need to know what the average person thinks of them. My brother has had paychecks bounce before from the electricians comoany he worked for. They forgot to move the money over to the payroll account. I think it is assinine that he was charged for depositing a paycheck.

Yes I have had trouble with Firstar before. They were an excellent bank for a while and then all of a sudden went to the crapper. I had to go in 3 times becase they messed up my account and get things refunded. And of course things got succesively harder. The most recent time one manager told me he would fix things, then he had to wait for stuff from the branch where my account was opened. In the meantime the overdraft got bigger. I finally went to the branch that had been ignoring it until I owed them enough. Went through that process(dont ever deal with and assistant manager only come in when the branch manager is available) only t have them say no we aint going to fix it. The other maneger ended up crediting my savings account with the amount the bank owed me and then moving it into my checking.

"Everything secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity." –Lord Acton
Turin39789 is offline   Reply With Quote