· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-21-2002, 03:30 PM   #1
coopa

Default Is Psychology related to Biology?

Is psychology a real, physical thing? Are there really chemicals in your brain that make you think certain ways?
I?m not really sure, For a long time I thought that psychology was not biological, but now I?m not so sure...

anyone have opinions on this?

also does it work the other way around? Can the way someone thinks affect them biologically?

I?m interested in everyone?s responses.
coopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:32 PM   #2
yobarman
Lifer

It does have to do a lot with the chemicals in your brain, but i feel some of it is really really abstract. There's just something that science can't explain. (yet)
yobarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:33 PM   #3
Random Variable
Lifer

The study of psychology is partly biological (i.e. neurotransmitters).
Random Variable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:33 PM   #4
Ameesh
Lifer

how can it not be related to biology(mol bio, and genetics)? how do you think we process information, make descions etc.?
Old 01-21-2002, 03:34 PM   #5
Random Variable
Lifer

<< It does have to do a lot with the chemicals in your brain, but i feel some of it is really really abstract. There's just something that science can't explain. (yet) >>

You haven't taken a psychology class, have you?
Old 01-21-2002, 03:34 PM   #6
vi edit
Super Moderator

It's sort of the chicken and the egg thing.

Did the chemical imbalances cause the psychogical disorders, or did some sort of psychological disorder cause the chemical imbalance.

For certain biological treatments(readRUGS) do assist and help out with psychological abnormalities. But on the same token, non chemical means such as cognitive and behavoral therapy do prove to be very effective as well.

It really just depends on the disorder at hand.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:35 PM   #7
StageLeft
No Lifer

Certainly is. Psychological behavior is the combination of biological (genetic, chemical, etc.) and environmentally-influenced behavior. Certain psychological behaviors are more or less influenced by either of these two forces.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:36 PM   #8
yobarman
Lifer

<<

<< It does have to do a lot with the chemicals in your brain, but i feel some of it is really really abstract. There's just something that science can't explain. (yet) >>

>>

yeah i did.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:37 PM   #9
CichliSuite

This is inded the great debate.

There are those, reductionists, who beleive that emotion and the midn are simply a product of chemistry, with neurotransmitter levels (among countless, more complicated variables) accounts for "you". The great success of anti-depressants, particularly the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (commonly known as SSRI's), has given grounding to such a hypothesis, by showing control over our moods by manipulation of neurotransmitters.

There are others who believe that the mind is something cosmic, intangible, and incomprehensible.

There are those who sit all along the spectrum in between.

Can the way someone thinks affect them biologically?

Now this is far easier to answer. What happens when you are are ready to take finals at school? Sweaty palms, stomach upset, energy increase..
CichliSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:40 PM   #10
Random Variable
Lifer

<<

<<

>>

yeah i did.
>>

Then how can you say that the biological aspect of psychology is "really, really abstract?"
Old 01-21-2002, 03:41 PM   #11
Random Variable
Lifer

I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into the nature vs. nuture debate.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:43 PM   #12
yobarman
Lifer

I meant that part of psychology is really abstract. The biology part is pretty contrete like neurotransmitters. But you really can't explain how memories are stored, where they're store, or if it's even something outside you head. Who knows...maybe you know, cause i really didnt pay much attention in psych, but i did get a 4 on the AP.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:44 PM   #13
Saltin
Platinum Member

Psychiatry is a more "medical" discipline than Psychology.
Saltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:46 PM   #14
killface
Golden Member

Biology has almost everything to do with psycology. There are even many experts who believe that basic "talk therapy" simply does not work.
There are so many neurotransmitters in the brain such as serotonin, GABA, dopamine, oxytocin, etc. that even the slightest change at which the brain produces, takes up and gets rid of them can greatly effect the way a person behaves, processes information and feels about themselves.
For example: genetic alcoholics actually get a dopamine "boost" when drunk. This tends to make them act more violent and actually get an increase in energy from alcohol.

When a person takes extasy, their brain gets a flood of serotonin which accounts for the good feeling you get from it. When that serotonin (which is supposed to last you a couple of days) is depleted in a few hours, you feel crappy for a day or two.
killface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 03:47 PM   #15
Random Variable
Lifer

<< But you really can't explain how memories are stored, where they're store, or if it's even something outside you head. >>

That process of encoding, storing, and retrieving a memory is still rather unclear. I will agree with you on that.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:50 PM   #16
StageLeft
No Lifer

<< I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into the nature vs. nuture debate. >>

I'm waiting for it to turn into a "homosexuality is biologically or environmentally caused" debate.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:03 PM   #17
coopa

I personally have never taken a psychology class (obviously) and I have become very interested in this recently.
I just called my friends mom who is a therapist. She told me that absolutely biology is related to psychology. She gave an example of schizophrenia. Almost all cases of this psychological outlook are in 19 year old boys. Not 20, not 18. I think it is kinda hard to argue that it is not biologically related? but then maybe its just the time that they are getting out of highschool and realizing that they are on their own?

I really don?t want this thread to go into ?fate? and then into ?god? as it easily could? Nor do i want it to go into Homosexuality, becuase that is another thread altogether that will get waaay to many hotheaded postwars in here.

People are bringing up good points with the cemical names and such.. does anyone know where I can get some more official information? Or is there anyone with certification in this?
Killface, you seem to know what you are talking about, and bring up many of the same points as the therapist. could i ask what you backround is in this?

< Can the way someone thinks affect them biologically?

Now this is far easier to answer. What happens when you are are ready to take finals at school? Sweaty palms, stomach upset, energy increase.. >
That is very true. Response to stimulus is biological processes like you mentioned. What about getting sick though. Temperatures and colds and aches and stuff. Do people with a positive outlook heal faster? Does psycological outlook affect all bodily processes? Does the way that you think affect everything or just things like adreniline rushes, and sexual impulses, and the stuff that you mentioned?

< Psychiatry is a more "medical" discipline than Psychology. >
Im a tad confused on the difference between these 2. Only one is considered a doctor and can provide medicine right?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:07 PM   #18
StageLeft
No Lifer

<< < Psychiatry is a more "medical" discipline than Psychology. >
Im a tad confused on the difference between these 2. Only one is considered a doctor and can provide medicine right?
>>

Psychologists can also have doctorates, though a psychiatrist is a medical doctor and yes, only they can prescribe medication. Sometimes a psychiatrist will refer a patient to a psychologist (even though psychiatrists do psychological counselling first and foremost) and vice versa.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:24 PM   #19
coopa

Something that would be very interesting would be a study that shows that psychological drugs were used to cure physicall ailments. Does anyone know of someone that has tried this?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:25 PM   #20
StageLeft
No Lifer

<< Something that would be very interesting would be a study that shows that psychological drugs were used to cure physicall ailments. Does anyone know of someone that has tried this? >>

Well many physical ailments (such as lack of energy) are interwined with psycholigical disorders so if you treat the psych that person can have more energy.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:29 PM   #21
CichliSuite

When a person takes extasy, their brain gets a flood of serotonin which accounts for the good feeling you get from it. When that serotonin (which is supposed to last you a couple of days) is depleted in a few hours, you feel crappy for a day or two.

Careful. While ecstacy producs a good feeling through serotonin release, that doesn't mean the good feelings we experience are because of such an action. This is where the controversy lies. If it was simply such a reaction, then we would constantly be suffering the "crappy" day-after effect everytime we felt instensely happy.
This is not the case (except for a few people)
CichliSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:56 PM   #22
coopa

Does a persons psychological outlook affect healing time with disease?