· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-03-2002, 10:11 AM   #1
iamme
Lifer

Default University of Phoenix (online courses) any good?

Does anyone have any experience with the Univ. of Phoenix?. They are all over the U.S. and have full programs online. I've got about 75% of my college finished, but I'm working so scheduling classes is getting harder and harder. What do you think the credibility of a Univeristy like this is? In particular their B.S. in Information Technology.

A bit expensive, I think...
iamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #2
pyonir
Lifer

I work for UoP online. as far as the price, we fall right in the middle compared to other private schools, and online schools. as far as credibility, we are gaining more and more as the days go by. the largest private university and the largest online university in the country. if you mean as far as accreditation, we are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. the HLC is basically one of the major accreditation firms in the US. We offer all the same financial options any other university offers. if ya have any specific questions let me know...you can PM me and i'll get you my email address. here is the main website for the online campus UoP-Online

FunTrivia - Yes, I realize it's a referral, but I'd appreciate it. I get a few (useless) points if you sign up.
pyonir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
dirtboy
Diamond Member

I took a few classes at UoP. When you call to sign up, they are very professional and they will take care of everything. They encouraged and pushed me to sign up for financial aide. When I enquired about the cost of classes, they blew me off. Taking courses online seemed to work into my schedule, so I gave it a go.

They managed to get $10,600 in financing for me. In fact, they allowed me to start taking classes without paying tuition, as they knew the loan would be approved. I'll get back to this in a moment.

The classes were extremely easy. I wasn't impressed at all. The teachers all seem to have "day jobs" and that teaching for UoP is secondary. I remember one class was delayed in the middle, because one teacher broke the dongle on her laptops modem, while she was on vacation skiing. Irregardless of what effort was put in by the students, everyone got an "A". The instructors rarely added any value to the class. Other then assign a few assignments, and post a few messages, I don't know what they did. Some of them had canned lectures and you could tell they were adapted to the class, but, it just was lacking so much.

I only took two classes with UoP. I ended up dropping my third class. Why you ask, when things are going so well? Simple, each class ran one month and cost $1,200 plus books. For some reason I didn't get all the the $10,500, because I think I enrolled late. I got almost $6,000 which was going to be depleted during the 3rd class. Rediculous I thought. So I dropped the class.

UoP wasn't happy about this. They told me not to worry, just get more loans and more loans. I don't remember the exact amount, but I figured by the time I was done, my BS degree was going to cost $60-80,000. IMHO, a complete rip off for the kind of education I was getting, which was none.

If you must go online, I would look elsewhere. UoP has a great marketing department that, IMHO, has built them a great name. There are other universities offering online studies, so I would recommend doing your homework -- which I didn't do.

Personally, I would go back to the classroom. I found that not only can you save a ton of money, but you have a greater opportunity to actually learn something.
dirtboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:31 PM   #4
pyonir
Lifer

and if you do do your homework you will find the prices in line with others (with the exception of in-state tuition like at Maryland Online). but iamme, you said you had most of your school done, therefore you wouldn't be expecting a large amount of debt upon graduating or total cost if you pay as you go.

as far as the professors are concerned, yes they all do have "day jobs". they are working professionals working in the fields that they teach and must hold at least a masters in that field. for not getting anything out of it, that is what self paced study is all about, you decide how much you get out of it. but, i work here so i am biased anyway. i would do research and respect dirtboy's humble opinion but don't let one person persuede you one way or another..(or two of us for that matter). 100,000 students total, and over 30,000 online, UoP must be doing something well...

PS: dirtboy, thanks for the comment about the marketing, that is the department in work in go figure

FunTrivia - Yes, I realize it's a referral, but I'd appreciate it. I get a few (useless) points if you sign up.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:35 PM   #5
bot2600
Platinum Member

Hmmm....thanks dirtboy. I was looking into that too, and have also been looking into Kennedy-Western University which is online as well. I like the flexibility of online courses, but if it is that expensive...

Bot
Old 01-03-2002, 12:38 PM   #6
OrByte
Diamond Member

I am enrolled at UoP in Sacramento. So far so good. The instructors seem to know what they are doing. Everyone I have come in contact within the program has been pleasant. The workload is huge! so be prepared to do lots of work!

Other than that I can't say much....I am only entering my second course there. Good luck!

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections" - unknown
OrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:46 PM   #7
Tripleshot
Elite Member

At my local collages,I can see what the cost per class is before signing up. On this site, Puoner, I do not see class prices. Why the secret?
Tripleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:51 PM   #8
pyonir
Lifer

go to the online website i linked ya to, online.uophx.edu click on admissions on the left menu, that will bring up "tuition and fees" in the main window. click that and there ya go. no secret there...just gotta look a little. and before everyone asks, most classes are 3 credit hours.

Old 01-03-2002, 03:08 PM   #9
Tripleshot
Elite Member

I just checked with my daughter who just enrolled inot our local 4 year collage foe elemtry school teacher preperation. The fee is $800 tuition for 12-20 hours/semester. That is $66 per credit hour,and this scam is charging $355/semester hour?

Sorry. This is a losing propisition. You would have to be quite desperate to choose this vehicle to further your education,and I don't think a sheepskin from any on-line university is worth the paper it's written on. Too many horror stories. And once you sign up for this outfit and obtain federally backed student loans,you are on the hook for the loan no matter if you learn or if you don't, or even if they fold and lose there certification. The interest is killer too.

My advise is to go to your local higher education resource and get your education the old fashioned way. This "shortcut" will not serve you well at all. IMHO.

Sorry to dis this outfit.It's just not worth the price for what you get.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:15 PM   #10
Daniel
Diamond Member

Check here for a discussion board just on distance learning, seems there are quite a few options available.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:19 PM   #11
pyonir
Lifer

fold or lose certification? UoP has been around since 1976 and the Online campus has been up since 1989. fully accredited. don't believe me, check here NCA Higher Learning Commission you'll see other state and private universities under the same accreditation. sure your daughter pays 66 a credit, but does she have the freedom to attend class at anytime 24/7, raise children, or continue to work full time? i personally take offense to the "scam" comment. All it takes is a little research. of course there are scams out there, i'm not denying that. Harvard has online classes...really...go check them out. does that mean that Harvard is a scam and the degree or "sheep-skin" it is printed on is worthless. UofMaryland has an EXCELLENT online program, are they a scam? know a little more about the subject before you undermine and insult a fellow AT member. but, you are entitled to your opinion.

Old 01-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #12
pyonir
Lifer

Harvard's online courses: Harvard Online

or go here, it gives a list of Online University's, including such as Penn State, Seton Hall, and Virginia Tech:
Online Schools

Old 01-03-2002, 03:32 PM   #13
OrByte
Diamond Member

Bah...paying off students loans is everyone's worst nightmare. But I accepted it...being able to work on a course for 5 weeks as opposed to 3 months is more important to me....my life is way to busy to be spending 3 months on 3 credits..... just my two cents.

Plus I am entering into UoP as a junior.....my time spent there should not be too long...

*edit sp*

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections" - unknown
OrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:42 PM   #14
Tripleshot
Elite Member

pyonir

Sorry you so easily take offense. I stated this is my humble opinion. You have your bias,I have mine. It's not a personal issue. I understand you have your bias because you work for this outfit and make your living from selling this concept. But at $355/credit hour vs $66/credit hour, it does not add up as being practical for most people. I fully understand there are some who will take advantage of this 24/7 study at home deal,but when it comes to showing your sheepskin to a prospective employeer,and he sees University of Phoniex on it, I suspect the candidade will have to have more going for him/her than just that .

You wonder why I have that opinion? My wife is a human resource director for a state agency,and that diploma will nort get anyone hired at her facility. Acrredirted or not,it does not have the substance employeers are looking for. Why? Because it's home study with children running around. Employers like a more rigid, disciplined structure, akin to the way they run there business.

Again, this is my opinion.It is not meant to harm you personlly. If you feel offended by it,deal with it. It's not my problem.

I wish you much success.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #15
pyonir
Lifer

and i have talked to a lot of human resource directors and ficilitators that look at UoP as a strong degree from a great school. the degree doesn't say "online" on it by the way, so you don't know if they went to a ground campus or the online campus. regardless, you say it isn't your problem if i am offended, well it is when you make comments like "scam" and "outfit". it is a university just like any other. but i digress, offended was a strong word, i could honestly care less what you think, but i am pointing out insufficientcies in your statements in the hope that if UoP online is what iamme is looking for, then he should be disueded by one person. anyway, i'll stop posting so you all can make the descisions for yourself. like i said, i could care less. six more months here and i am out anyway.

Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #16
Jfur
Diamond Member

It may be accredited but how do most employers see U of P? (asking other ATers) I know mine is somewhat skeptical of the degree, but perhaps other feel differently?
Jfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 PM   #17
ATLien247
Diamond Member

In my opinion, UoP is overpriced for what they offer, on-line at least. Perhaps their on-line curriculum will evolve into something that mirrors their B&M curriculum, which is of a higher quality. Until then, however, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over that of a traditional institution.

What you have to realize, though, is that UoP caters to the working person. There aren't many other places that offer such flexibility. And therein lies the reason why they can get away with charging so much.
"Cooler than a polar bear's toenail!"
ATLien247 is offline   Reply With Quote