· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 09-16-2001, 03:01 AM   #1
Madcowz
Platinum Member

Default Can a Virus create bad sectors on a hard drive?

Recently I have been encountering problems where my laptop would get errors or simply freeze on startup. Well I recently did a surface scan to discover that I have 2 bad clusters/sectors on my hard drive. It said it fixed the problem by moving the files on the bad cluster & rendering the bad clusters useless, but I still can't get into windows. Now it loads & gets past the splash screen and enters what appears to be a freshly installed OS (grey background w/ 640*480 res). A popup displays new hardware but doesn't state exactly WHAT hardware was detected. When I press cancel somethings appears to be loading but nothing actually does. Just a blank screen with a blank task manager shows up when crtl alt del is pressed.
But that's not all... what makes me believe that a virus could be the source of my problems is all the other 'weirdness' I've been encountering
For example, whenever I try using a floppy in dos, copy files or whatever, the disk gets messed up & is rendered useless. I wouldn't be able to read the floppy on any other computer & keep getting this msg whenever i try to access the disks:
"The disk in drive A: is not formatted. Format now?"

Whenever I try to format, quick or full, I get errors... this is totally messed up

In any case I don't know if this will help, but I figure it's worth a try. Perhaps system restore will get my system back in working condition, but I don't know how to access it outside winme. I fear that my problem is due to the bad cluster and system restore won't work, so if that is the case I just want to be able to recover my files. It would be too tedious & I wouldn't be able to recover much if anything if I do it through dos & floppies, but I figure if I can get networking in dos, than it should be much easier... anyone know of any possible solutions?
Madcowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 07:48 AM   #2
corkyg
Peripherals

Yes, there is a family of viruses that does what you describe. Here is the run down from the McAfee Library along with how to get rid of it.

virus

"We all have private ails. The troublemakers are they who need public cures for their private ails." - Eric Hoffer
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote