· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
Howard
Lifer

Default How likely is it that a sticky gas pedal is due to a dirty throttle body valve?

I don't want to buy throttle body cleaner just to find out it's useless, and I don't know how to diagnose the problem myself.

EDIT: Symptoms:

- sticky gas pedal in the initial stages of actuation
- extremely jerky behaviour when in 2nd gear, especially when shifting into it from 1st, but also when releasing gas pedal; also present in 3rd but extremely subtle

2007/07/01 11:20AM EDIT:

Attempted solution #1: Cleaned the throttle body and valve

Results: Drives like a beaut. Gas pedal is smoother now, and there is absolutely no jerking to be had in 2nd gear.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
The Boston Dangler
Lifer

Default How likely is it that a sticky gas pedal is due to a dirty throttle body valve?

My guess is it's an issue with the throttle linkage and not the body internals. Normally, the throttle doesn't have enough force to affect the response of the pedal. If it's a carbureted engine, there might be a vacuum issue.

-Sir Stirling Moss
The Boston Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
SVT Cobra
Lifer

I do not know about your car but when I have gas pedal problems a slight jiggle of the throttle body does it for me.

Car?
SVT Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Eli
Super Moderator
Elite Member

If it's something mechanical, you should be able to figure out where it's binding by working the mechanism by hand, I would think.

2001 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #163P - 158,388 miles and counting as of 7/2011
Best Trip - 82.0MPG over 1200 miles
2001 Honda Insight 5MT - 450,000 miles and counting as of 2/2012 (Fiancee's)
Best Trip - 92.4MPG over 400 miles
2000 Honda Insight 5MT, MIMA #173P, BCM Gauge, OBDIIC&C Gauge, Upgraded 8Ah battery - 227,248 miles and counting as of 10/2011
Best Trip - 83.1mpg over 458mi
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Gillbot
Lifer

On my hand, the blade always got stuck because of a dirty throttle body blade. Ultimately it comes down to the type of car and how the system was designed. Many have recurculated crankcase air being fed back into the intake tract which usually is laden with oil droplets. These oil droplets can collect in the TB and cause dirt to build up and the blade to stick. A quick shot of TB cleaner and a paper towel might fix it up.

If you are worried about cost, just go to the local wal-mart and get a can of carburetor cleraner for $0.99 and give it a spritz into the TB, then wipe it down as best you can with a paper towel. If it helps, even a little bit then take the TB off and give it a good thorough cleaning but try not to douse any electronic parts.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
SVT Cobra
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Gillbot
On my hand, the blade always got stuck because of a dirty throttle body blade. Ultimately it comes down to the type of car and how the system was designed. Many have recurculated crankcase air being fed back into the intake tract which usually is laden with oil droplets. These oil droplets can collect in the TB and cause dirt to build up and the blade to stick. A quick shot of TB cleaner and a paper towel might fix it up.

If you are worried about cost, just go to the local wal-mart and get a can of carburetor cleraner for $0.99 and give it a spritz into the TB, then wipe it down as best you can with a paper towel. If it helps, even a little bit then take the TB off and give it a good thorough cleaning but try not to douse any electronic parts.
Electric PCB cleaner works best, and you can clean the MAF while at it.
SVT Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Howard
I don't want to buy throttle body cleaner just to find out it's useless, and I don't know how to diagnose the problem myself.

EDIT: Symptoms:

- sticky gas pedal in the initial stages of actuation
- extremely jerky behaviour when in 2nd gear, especially when shifting into it from 1st, but also when releasing gas pedal; also present in 3rd but extremely subtle
That was exactly what was wrong with my wife's Durango. The pedal stuck at the initial pressing. If the Durango was off, there was no sticking. A little cleaner and a dirty rag later, all sticking removed and jerking action removed.

Good Luck.

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Howard
Lifer

I can clean the TB with carb cleaner, right? Mobil's page says not to use carb cleaner.

Kitchen stuff
Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
I can clean the TB with carb cleaner, right? Mobil's page says not to use carb cleaner.
I did because I did not realize that I was supposed to use throttle body cleaner. It didn't hurt anything but YMMV. I wouldn't spray it directly into the throttle body, maybe on a rag and wipe it out.

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher
Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
Pacfanweb
Lifer

Quote:
Only if your TB has a contamination-resistant (usually Teflon) coating. If not, then there's no problem with using regular carb cleaner.

I've seen lots of throttle bodies that are much harder to press initially from idle, but work okay all the way to WOT, after that intial "stick".

Throttle body cleaning fixes that every time.

OP's other shifting problems don't sound TB-related to me.

"One of the reasons I left Sabbath is Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." Ozzy
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Howard
Lifer

Attempted solution #1: Cleaned the throttle body and valve

Results: Drives like a beaut. Gas pedal is smoother now, and there is absolutely no jerking to be had in 2nd gear.

Kitchen stuff
Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
The Boston Dangler
Lifer

congrats. that must have been one nasty throttle. i'm curious as to why it would behave differently in each gear.

-Sir Stirling Moss
The Boston Dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Gillbot
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Gillbot

If you are worried about cost, just go to the local wal-mart and get a can of carburetor cleraner for $0.99 and give it a spritz into the TB, then wipe it down as best you can with a paper towel. If it helps, even a little bit then take the TB off and give it a good thorough cleaning but try not to douse any electronic parts.</end quote></div>

Electric PCB cleaner works best, and you can clean the MAF while at it.
PCB cleaner isn't as aggressive in degrasing as straight carb cleaner is from my experience, but it just may be the very poor design of anything Chrysler. (Yes, I'm a former contract employee. )
Old 07-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
Gillbot
Lifer

Quote:
They usually say that because carb cleaner is a bit harsh and can ruin electronic sensors and the like. As long as you don't have any sensors or you remove them before the cleaning, you are fine.