· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
AmberClad
Diamond Member

Default Using rubbing alcohol in your ears?

I guess it's a little late to ask now, but is using rubbing alcohol inside your ear canals a no-no ? I use that stuff plus Q-Tips all the time to clean computer parts, so I figured no harm done if I tried it on my ears.

Oh, the burn ...ow...
AmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
patentman
Golden Member

Rule of thumb, don;t put anything in your ears, especially q-tips.

Like you, I used to clean my ears with q-tips. Apparently I did it wrong, because over the course of a year I began to slowly lose my hearing in one ear. I went to the doctor, to discover that all I was doing was compacting the wax in my ears. It took the better part of 30 minutes to flush all that crud out, and believe me, it was not comfortable.

patentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
AmberClad
Diamond Member

I suspect you may be right on this one. I tried it out in my other ear (before I read your post), and I didn't feel the same burning sensation inside that one that I did in the other ear. I think I might have overdone it with the Q-Tip scrubbing before. Better leave well enough alone for now...
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Jimmah
Golden Member

Aren't you supposed to use warm olive oil for ear wax removal?
Jimmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
TheoPetro
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jimmah
Aren't you supposed to use searing hot olive oil for ear wax removal?
Fixed
TheoPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
AmberClad
Diamond Member

With or without a dash of pepper and a few leaves of cilantro ...

But jokes aside, does that actually work? And doesn't that create a mess that has to be cleaned out with something else?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
datalink7
Lifer

My ear doctor actually said that Dawn Dish Soap worked best. Just pour some in there and let it sit and then wash it out. Doing it in the shower works best.
Now our feelings run deep and cold as the clay.
And strung out behind us the banners and flags
Of our possible pasts lie in tatters and rags.
datalink7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Yzzim
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: datalink7
My ear doctor actually said that Dawn Dish Soap worked best. Just pour some in there and let it sit and then wash it out. Doing it in the shower works best.
Draino directly in the ear works best
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
Scarpozzi
Lifer

There have been quite a few threads about this recently. I'll say the same thing I always do.

To clear your ears out, go to the drug store or walmart and get an ear syringe and some drops. They sell them in a kit for $5-8 depending on brand. Follow the instructions of the drops (peroxide based solution) to soften the wax. Then grab a cup and fill it with warm water. (be careful not to get the water too hot) Use the ball syringe and to flush your ears out. If you believe you have compacted wax, you may have to use extreme force to free the wax from your ears.

I've actually had rather large chunks break free because my right ear overproduces wax a few days after I go diving more than 10 meters. When I clear my ears out (I do this about once a year), it sometimes causes my throat to burn (sensation from the severe water pressure and nerves not knowing how to react) and when the wax becomes dislodged, it causes my equilibrium to make me dizzy for a few minutes.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
AmberClad
Diamond Member

I'm surprised that no one has suggested that I try sulfuric acid yet :roll:.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
lanielf

Flushing the ear canal with rubbing alcohol displaces the water and dries the canal skin. If alcohol causes severe pain, it suggests the presence of an eardrum perforation.
lanielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
pontifex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
There have been quite a few threads about this recently. I'll say the same thing I always do.

To clear your ears out, go to the drug store or walmart and get an ear syringe and some drops. They sell them in a kit for $5-8 depending on brand. Follow the instructions of the drops (peroxide based solution) to soften the wax. Then grab a cup and fill it with warm water. (be careful not to get the water too hot) Use the ball syringe and to flush your ears out. If you believe you have compacted wax, you may have to use extreme force to free the wax from your ears.

I've actually had rather large chunks break free because my right ear overproduces wax a few days after I go diving more than 10 meters. When I clear my ears out (I do this about once a year), it sometimes causes my throat to burn (sensation from the severe water pressure and nerves not knowing how to react) and when the wax becomes dislodged, it causes my equilibrium to make me dizzy for a few minutes.
a ENT doctor told me to never use those, always see they doctor if you need it cleaned.

i've had them work with success but the last time all it did was turn the wax to mud and push it in further.
pontifex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #13
mlm

My mom used to have me use a mix of 50% alcohol and 50% water to clear out my ears if water got stuck in them. I don't know if it ever really worked though.
mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
gsellis
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: lanielf
Flushing the ear canal with rubbing alcohol displaces the water and dries the canal skin. If alcohol causes severe pain, it suggests the presence of an eardrum perforation.
We almost made it correct. While the pain could indicate a perforation, it more likely means an infection, fungus, or damage in the ear canal. Like pouring alcohol on an open wound anywhere else burns, so does it in the ear.

And as a drying agent, especially for water in the ear, great and it kills bacteria. Old swimmer's ear homebrew was 50% alcohol, 50% distilled white vinegar.

"I'm Juan Pablo Montoya. You crashed my car. Prepare to die" - Farker yequalsy's 1st grade son

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice." Stolen from ROM/Rick Martin's sig in GemologyOnline
gsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #15
PottedMeat
Lifer

I always stick the q-tip in fairly far into the ear after a hot shower. Hearings' fine and never had a problem.

PottedMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #16
xanis
Lifer

If you really want to clean out your ears, don't bother with Q-Tips.

Go the store and buy a bottle of straight Hydrogen Peroxide and a small dropper. Put some hydrogen peroxide in your ear, let it sit for 10 minutes, then flush it out with some lukewarm water. My doctor told me to start doing this, and it's been working like a charm.

xanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #17
JasonE4
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Xanis

Go the store and buy a bottle of straight Hydrogen Peroxide and a small dropper. Put some hydrogen peroxide in your ear, let it sit for 10 minutes, then flush it out with some lukewarm water. My doctor told me to start doing this, and it's been working like a charm.
This is what worked for me, except I had to do it about 30 times to get it all out. It was absolutely disgusting how much wax I got out.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #18
xanis
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: JasonE4
Quote:

This is what worked for me, except I had to do it about 30 times to get it all out. It was absolutely disgusting how much wax I got out.
Yeah, it's really nasty how much wax comes out. I had to do it to my ears a few times before they were good and clean.

xanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
patentman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AmberClad
I'm surprised that no one has suggested that I try sulfuric acid yet :roll:.
Nah, H2SO4 is for pansies. It's HF or nothing. Either that, or butyl lithium (just use that in an oxygen free atmosphere)
patentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
wiredspider
Diamond Member

I have what me and bro call an "ear digger", it's like a scoop thing for your ear wax. Probably not much safer than a q-tip, but putting liquids in my ear feels weird.
wiredspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #21
ViviTheMage
Lifer

Quote:

would you use a qtip or something to get it all out, or would you just shake your head to get it all out?

vivi's blog

239-0-0
ViviTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #22
DanTMWTMP
Lifer

wut..i've always done this to my ears. After I dig out using one of those asian tiny-spoon earwax removers, i'd dig in w/ a qtip w/ rubbing alcohol. I do it to my belly button, my crotch area (took awhile to get used to it, first couple of times, the burn was incapacitating, especially when I got a cut in my anal area, I had to disinfect that area since i didn't want that bacteria-filled area to invade the cut. Oh man, the anal area is ULTIMATE burn. First time i rubbed it w/ rubbing alcohol, I couldn't walk for about 2 minutes w/ tears coming out of my eyes. Now I feel refreshed after i do it).
Battlefield 4, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield 2
DanTMWTMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #23
DnetMHZ
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
wut..i've always done this to my ears. After I dig out using one of those asian tiny-spoon earwax removers, i'd dig in w/ a qtip w/ rubbing alcohol. I do it to my belly button, my crotch area (took awhile to get used to it, first couple of times, the burn was incapacitating, especially when I got a cut in my anal area, I had to disinfect that area since i didn't want that bacteria-filled area to invade the cut. Oh man, the anal area is ULTIMATE burn. First time i rubbed it w/ rubbing alcohol, I couldn't walk for about 2 minutes w/ tears coming out of my eyes. Now I feel refreshed after i do it).
/Backs out of thread slowly
Old 06-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
middlehead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
What a coincidence, my eyes are burning after reading this post.
"Scientists in Germany have diagnosed a five-year-old with a genetic mutation that makes him super strong. Let's see, super strong baby, genetic mutations, Germany--nope, nothing about that makes me nervous."

Quote:
<rubber stamp>Certified Badass</rubber stamp>

- M4H
middlehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #25
James Bond
Diamond Member

I'm starting to wonder if my left ear may have some serious wax build up.

When I use Q-Tips after a shower, the left one definitely feels different, almost like it "can't get in" if that makes any sense... I guess wax could be blocking?

If there was wax buildup in my ear, could that in any way affect how my ears/head reacts with pressure changes? When I go on an airplane I have a VERY difficult time popping my left ear during ascension.
James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote