· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-20-2001, 09:44 AM   #1
Hobbes28

If I were to delete the registry "ENUM" key, move the hard drives from a MSI K7Pro (AMD Slot A, Irongate Chipset) to a new MSI K7TPro2-A (VIA Chipset) what order do you restore when you bootup? I really don't want to do a clean install and reinstall all my software if I don't have to. The sound card (SB Live!), two hard drives (WD 20.5 GB), CD-ROM (Asus 50X) and CD-RW (HP 9110i) are the only things being reused in the new rig. I'll be adding a new ATI Radeon LE and a USR 2977 56k PCI modem.

I guess what I'm asking is what order is best to install after WIN98SE finds the basic stuff and then starts to find the new stuff (adding one at a time of course)?

BTW, this is a different rig than the one in my sig below which runs like a dream!

Thanks in advance...
Hobbes28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:14 AM   #2
randypj
Platinum Member

I've just always installed in the order that Win finds them. One thing that I always do is a hard shutdown, whenever Win prompts for a restart--not a restart. Dunno...it works for me. I started doing this because of a post way back when W98 first came out, and people were having problems with overinstalls over W95. Some one posted that the installation went flawlessly for them when they did a hard shutdown/startup.

Oh, wait....maybe you're talking about the actual physical installation of items? I just have them installed and see what happens. I think once I had to remove a sound card, move it, and reinstall it. I can't remember any other problems. But, I don't have a NIC or any USB devices, but am running a Promise 66 controller and several SCSI burners/readers.
--Randy
randypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:35 AM   #3
Zach
Diamond Member

I delete ENUM, and then when booting back up just let windows reinstall everything. I don't let it reboot usually, too. Just make it keep installing. If I get something that seems important I'll reboot though. HD controllers, SCSI controllers, things that let other things work. Then once I get the desktop back I'll do 4-in-1 drivers (if needed) or other chipset type drivers, unless of course they were cought by the OS earlier...

Also, it helps to disable all programs from loading while doing this. Background tasks can be anooying and slowing during the driver re-install. Running msconfig will get this done.

In your situation, since you are adding/removing hardware anyway, I'd pull all unneeded cards before firing things back up (but just the cards, leave in the CD drives, hard drives, etc). Let Windows install what it wants. Then, do the 4-in-1's. Finally, add the cards back in and use the latest drivers for each..

Good luck.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:40 AM   #4
medic
Diamond Member

Having done this about 50 times I can honestly say it's better to backup and reinstall fresh. (IMO) Chances are good it will work fine but for the 20% of the time it doesn't (for me) it's a nightmare chasing down strange problems after the reboots or in the future.
medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:51 AM   #5
Urinal Mint
Platinum Member

Amen, brother... I tried to do this the "easy way" and not reinstall last week when I got my new mobo/cpu and tried to get Win2K running. All sorts of weird issues...

So last Friday I formatted and reinstalled Win2K, and things work like a champ now.

Just bite the bullet and reinstall... it'll save you a ton of problems.
Urinal Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 03:53 PM   #6
randypj
Platinum Member

I've only done this with W9x.

Zach, good point about stopping the stuff from running in the background. NAV can be especially problematic, IME, if I have left it running and restore from a backup.
--Randy
randypj is offline   Reply With Quote