· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
TanisHalfElven
Diamond Member

Default what would happen if i plug in a 220V adapter into a 110V socket.

i am debating purchasing a GBA sp power adapter.
i have a GBA sp whose power adpater is 220V.
i really don't wanna spend $10+ to revive something i could get for 40 shipped.

anyway the question what COULD happen by plugging in the 220v adpater into a 110v socket.

my liitle knowledge of physics says the adpater will output 2.6 volts. but i can't figure out how the resistance of the battery and the new voltage change relate. i am thinking what if i end up pumping more amps into it than was needed but i did physics in high a long time ago and can't figure it out.

so what does AT think. will it damage the lithium-ion battery in the GBA sp or will it be OK and just not charged fully due to lack of voltage?
TanisHalfElven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
myocardia
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
anyway the question what COULD happen by plugging in the 220v adpater into a 110v socket.
Most likely, you'll just fry either the adapter, or the circuit breaker in your house.

Quote:
so what does AT think. will it damage the lithium-ion battery in the GBA sp or will it be OK and just not charged fully due to lack of voltage?
Assuming plugging a 240v adapter into a 120v doesn't fry one of the two, according to Ohm's law, you'd then have half the output voltage from the adapter, at twice the amperage that it's built to supply. But, I can pretty much guarantee you that you aren't going to get that far.

edit: BTW, what in the world is a GBA?
myocardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
bendixG15
Diamond Member

All the 220 adapters I have seen can not physically plug into 110 outlets.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: myocardia

edit: BTW, what in the world is a GBA?
GameBoy Advance

lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
TanisHalfElven
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: bendixG15
All the 220 adapters I have seen can not physically plug into 110 outlets.
you don't know the magic of a common houshold extension cord.

Quote:
Most likely, you'll just fry either the adapter, or the circuit breaker in your house.
i don;t care about the adapter. but i do care if the house circuit breaker is affected OR if the battery is affected.

can anyone confirm that circuit breaker will be affected.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Rubycon
Madame President

If by adapter you mean the little device that converts AC power to DC for your device, it will be fine if the allowable voltage input spans 90~250VAC 50/60Hz. (most newer SMPS feature this)

IF it says 110/120VAC 60Hz ONLY then you must CONVERT your 240VAC power using a suitable converter plug. An ADAPTER plug will just allow for physical connection ONLY and does NOT perform any electrical conversion. Plugging a 120VAC device into 240VAC power will surely lead to its demise and release of the magic smoke is assured. It's hard to get that smoke back IN to the device too.
Rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
TanisHalfElven
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rubycon
If by adapter you mean the little device that converts AC power to DC for your device, it will be fine if the allowable voltage input spans 90~250VAC 50/60Hz. (most newer SMPS feature this)

IF it says 110/120VAC 60Hz ONLY then you must CONVERT your 240VAC power using a suitable converter plug. An ADAPTER plug will just allow for physical connection ONLY and does NOT perform any electrical conversion. Plugging a 120VAC device into 240VAC power will surely lead to its demise and release of the magic smoke is assured. It's hard to get that smoke back IN to the device too.
thats what i mean the thingy that plugs in to the wall and connect to the GBA sp. and it says
input 220-240V ~60/60 Hz
output 5.2V 320mA
Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
Rubycon
Madame President

You need to supply it with 240VAC power OR use a transformer. Boosting 120 to 240 at such a small load is a cinch.
Rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
TanisHalfElven
Diamond Member

Quote:
You need to supply it with 240VAC power OR use a transformer. Boosting 120 to 240 at such a small load is a cinch.
you mean i should make one of my own. hmm its a possiblity though i'll proabably end up spending more than the ac charger itself.

or are you suggesting buying a transformer. if so i have yet find one cheaper than the charger itself.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Just try it and report back.
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
TanisHalfElven
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Just try it and report back.
HAHA lolz.
if i wanted to risk it, i wouldn't have asked.

edit.
guess i'll pug into a surge protected extension cord. if it blows atleast it'll only break the exntension cord circuit.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
bobsmith1492
Diamond Member

It likely won't hurt it. I've fixed several devices that were "broken" only because the 110/220 switch was set to 220 including a computer and an adjustable benchtop power supply (linear).

I wouldn't recommend the other way around (plugging a 110 device into a 220 line) as that would surely damage something. The other way around probably won't do much.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 PM   #13
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
Quote:

thats what i mean the thingy that plugs in to the wall and connect to the GBA sp. and it says
input 220-240V ~60/60 Hz
output 5.2V 320mA
This means it is stepping (transforming) the voltage at a 42:1 ratio (42 in, 1 out...or 42:1 windings ratio in a standard coiled transformer).

So it you put 120V in, the AC/DC transformer you have there will output 2.6V

The current drawn...320mA listed...is the maximum spec, it is of course not PUSHING those amps out the converter...so what that means is it can SUPPLY 320mA at 5.2V, or 320mA at 2.6V...the amperage on the supply does NOT go up just because the input voltage dropped.

That is one of those lame rules of thumb that gets overused because people overlook the "assuming all else remains equal" disclaimer that your EE professor mentioned during the first 5 minutes of class when we were all late. You only get to "rule of thumb" your way into doubling the amperage provided either the input or the ouput voltage remained at "stock" ratings. Since both are decreasing in half here, all things most certainly did not remain equal, and the maximum "spec'ed" current supply remains 320mA.

Back to the voltage question...it will not fry your house breaker...and it will not fry your GBA since you will be providing it with 50% the spec'ed input voltage. I would be surprised if it powered up at all though, as what you are about to do is tantamount to putting nearly dead batteries and attempting to power it on. Totally undervolted.
Idontcare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
Jiggz
Diamond Member

You plug in a power adapter 220~240VAC into a 110VAC outlet, all you will get a half the voltage output which will result in two things:
1. The load will not get enough voltage causing major malfunction.
2. The power adapter smoking due to high current.

Either get a properly rated power adapter or a power transformer.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.-Thomas Jefferson
Jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
Aluvus
Platinum Member

It will output too low a voltage for the device to operate on, and nothing will happen. No damage.

Now, plugging a 120 V device into a 220 V outlet... that can be entertaining.

Buy a new adapter.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #16
etech
Lifer

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index...&kw=adapter+game+boy&parentPage=search
Intec® Universal Handheld AC Adapter for Nintendo®

$9.97
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Paperdoc
Golden Member

Let's not lose sight of what OP wants to do: use a charger that expects 220v AC input on a circuit that supplies only 110v. He will NOT fry the charger because he is UNDER volting it. Now, the output from that to the battery will be quite low, and it certainly will NOT force twice the current into the battery. Just the opposite - it may never charge the battery because the charger output voltage is below the battery voltage. From that perspective, the plan is very poor - it won't do what is needed.

There could be a remote possibility of doing funny things to the battery. Some charger designs depend on a certain battery terminal voltage and charging current into the battery in order to regulate their output voltage. If the charger itself cannot provide the requisite voltage, you might end up just trickle-charging it with tiny surges of current as the voltage swings up and down because of ripple in the output. I don't know whether this would affect the battery, beyond the fact it is not being charged.

Much better to get the right charger. As OP suggests, that might be easier and cheaper than trying to build a set-up tansformer to change 110v to 220 v AC.
Paperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
TanisHalfElven
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Paperdoc
Let's not lose sight of what OP wants to do: use a charger that expects 220v AC input on a circuit that supplies only 110v. He will NOT fry the charger because he is UNDER volting it. Now, the output from that to the battery will be quite low, and it certainly will NOT force twice the current into the battery. Just the opposite - it may never charge the battery because the charger output voltage is below the battery voltage. From that perspective, the plan is very poor - it won't do what is needed.

There could be a remote possibility of doing funny things to the battery. Some charger designs depend on a certain battery terminal voltage and charging current into the battery in order to regulate their output voltage. If the charger itself cannot provide the requisite voltage, you might end up just trickle-charging it with tiny surges of current as the voltage swings up and down because of ripple in the output. I don't know whether this would affect the battery, beyond the fact it is not being charged.

Much better to get the right charger. As OP suggests, that might be easier and cheaper than trying to build a set-up tansformer to change 110v to 220 v AC.

yeah something here is prolly right. cuz i left it at the socket for almost 1/2 hour and it did not charge at all. g
i guess i'm better off buying the charger from Nintendo for 15 shipped.