· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-09-2000, 07:55 AM   #1
Sully

In Windows Me how should i set up virtual memory settings for 256 mb ram?
1-Should I go with 1.5 X ram?
2-What minimum and Maximum settings?
3-let windows do it?

I want the best performance in games.

Thanks,
Sully
Old 12-09-2000, 09:07 AM   #2
MasterMind

The whole idea behind setting your own settings is so Windows wont resize the swap file size when more cache is needed. If you are fetching everything from ram then the hard drive swap file size would be "0" but when more is needed then Windows will resize it to 10, 20, 50, 100 or whatever is needed. With a fixed size, Windows will be able to use anywhere from 0-100% of the swap file without resizing. It is a good idea to leave the maximum set to "no maximum" so if you were to need more than the minimum that you set, Windows would be able to resize it up to whatever was needed for the moment. Another advantage to having a fixed swap file is so that it will not become fragmented. If Windows is managing the swap file and your using 70MB before you install a game but then you use 150MB to play the game but Windows installed the game files around the 70MB used on the HD then it is now fragmented. The HD will have 70MB on one part of the disk but then have to go to another part of the disk to fetch data from the other 80MB being used.

If you want to set your own swap file size there is a optimum way to do it. First close all taskbar programs and CTRL + ALT + DEL to close everything else. Then defrag and immediately afterwards set the virtual memory settings in control panel. Reboot and your ready to go.

What size you choose is up to your needs but 384 is not excessive or too little.

[EDIT] Check out Madcowz thread. [/EDIT]
MasterMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 11:59 AM   #3
Mem
Lifer

You will get different replys to this but most agree a fixed size is better,keep both minimum & maximum the same,I have 256mb of main ram & use (1.25x 256mb)= 320mb for my own virtual memory.

Some games I play like 300mb so this is a good size for my PC,You will not need more then this some people use alot less,the bottom line is try your own settings ,don`t forget to defrag afterwards,you will soon get to know what`s is best on your own system by trying different sizes.

Old 12-09-2000, 01:19 PM   #4
Muadib
Lifer

Go with the Madcowz method, but play with the new swap setting. I have mine set to 200 MB & I'm happy.
Muadib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 03:58 PM   #5
Kingofcomputer
Diamond Member

Make a partition only for swap file like linux.
Kingofcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 04:01 PM   #6
OneOfTheseDays
Diamond Member

to be honest with you, with 256 mb you don't need a swapfile. You will see very little harddrive paging at all. I have tested this out thoroughly and could see no noticeable improvement. As long as you defrag about every couple of days you will be fine.
OneOfTheseDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 05:46 PM   #7
Howard
Lifer

Insert the ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 line into your system.ini file, under the [386enh] heading.

I think it's best to set swap file size to exponents of 2 (128,256,512,1024,2048, etc.) And I believe that the minimum and the maximum size should be the same, so that Windows doesn't spend any time trying to resize the file to meet needs.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2000, 01:33 AM   #8
dennilfloss
Past Lifer
1957-2014
In Memoriam

I have 256MB RAM and my virtual memory is set at 400MB/400MB. That has worked well for the last 10 months.

Desktop: Phenom II 955BE, M4A79-T DeLuxe, ASUS PA246Q 1900x1200 24" P-IPS monitor, 2 GB HIS IceQ X Turbo 7850, Corsair TX750M PSU, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 HP 64. Laptop: Dell XPS 17 L702x, i7-2760QM, 8GB RAM, 1080p, GT 555M 3GB
dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2000, 03:18 PM   #9
cpemma

As usual, the crap that possibly applied to Win 3 is still being put out as Truth.

For 98+

1. Monitor your swap file with System Monitor during a "busy" session to find *YOUR* needs.

2. Add 20% for a bit of headroom, set as minimum. This isn't essential; Win 98+ remembers the previous swap-file size and uses that at boot. 95 didn't, it started at zero every boot.

3. DON'T set a maximum - once a flood Windows might want a bit more.

Further fact at Ron Martell's and at Microsoft
cpemma is offline   Reply With Quote