Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Parasitic
Diamond Member

Default Any bootcampers around?

So I just broke down and bought a Macbook. MacOS is fun but I'm sorta forced to use bootcamp/Windows for now because I haven't had a chance (or the funds) to buy some of the software I need for the Mac. Anyways, bootcamp 1.2 seems pretty solid momentarily, and everything installs fine. I like the two-finger + click = right click thing too.

However, I'm really really REALLY used to tapping the touchpad for left clicking but have not been able to find anything that can configure my touchpad to do such a thing. I'm also having trouble finding a way to remap the delete key to actually "delete" (not a big fan of backspace). Some of the older websites suggested Remapper but when I checked it out it seems to be only shareware, and is apparently a bit outdated since the 1.1/1.2b update.

So anyone?
Parasitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
gus6464
Golden Member

If you hit the fn key with delete it will act as a delete key and not backspace. Also as far and click tapping goes you can set that up under the mouse settings of windows xp. The new bootcamp drivers allow you to change the way you use the touchpad. For example if you wanted to to do a ctrl alt del on the macbook you would have to do this sequence: ctrl-alt-fn-delete. I have had my macbook for over a year now so if you have any other questions let me know. Also if you want to get rid of holding option every time you boot up the macbook to be able to boot up on windows or osx you should download rEFIt as it will give you a graphical interface at bootup that shows you all the OS's that are installed.

http://refit.sourceforge.net/

rEFIt is great if you want to install linux as well on the macbook and have a triple boot setup.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I did not know that tap-clicking was supported in 1.2... i think I may simply cry now. That was about the only thing that was really driving me nuts in windows on my macbook. Not ot threadjack, but does rEFIt cause any problems? If i wanted to install it even though I am running OS X and Windows only, that wont be an issue will it?
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
gus6464
Golden Member

rEFIt is perfect. Causes no issues whatsoever and also supports booting with usb drives as well which is something that macs have lacked for the longest time. Also if you decide to uninstall it all you have to do is erase the rEFIt folder that it installs on the OSX partition and you are done. Reboot and its like it was never there. Another neat thing I found out the other day about rEFIt was that if you want to install windows XP on a separate USB hard disk, you can as well. This is all you need to do:

1. Create two partitions on your USB hard drive with disk utility. A small 20mb HFS+ partition and another ms-dos one where you will install windows xp.
2. Download rEFIt and copy the efi folder in the mpkg to the 20mb HFS+ partition on the usb drive and run the .sh file to initialize the efi bootloader on the drive.
3. Have your usb drive plugged in and reboot the mac, hold c while booting to boot to windows xp cd and install xp on the other ms-dos partition on the usb drive.
4. Now when you turn on the mac hold down option and you will see the your osx partition and the refit 20mb partition on the usb drive, click on the refit one and you will then get the graphical interface that shows your OSX partition and your windows xp partition on the USB drive. Choose the windows xp partition to boot and you are set. Install bootcamp drivers and enjoy.

I have also managed to install Debian 4.0 on a 2gb usb memory stick using this method so it works for any OS you want.

Edit: Also if you want the windows that is installed the usb hard drive to work on another PC and not just the mac you have to change some files on the install cd. Follow this guide:

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176
Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
gus6464
Golden Member

I also forgot that if you use NTFS to install Windows XP on your USB drive you need to download Fuse and ntfs-3g for OSX to have read and write capability your windows xp partition on the usb drive.

MacFuse: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/
ntfs-3g: http://shadowofged.blogspot.com/2007....html#packages

The second website also had a package which contains both macfuse and ntfs-3g in one but I havent tried it. I just got the latest macfuse from google code and ntfs-3g from that website. Also after you install this you will be able to format ntfs partitions natively through disk utility.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Parasitic
Diamond Member

Hi gus6464,

I tried looking for the option to enable tap clicking under Mouse in Windows but I don't see any options for it at all. Can you post a screenshot?
Parasitic is offline   Reply With Quote