· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #51
StageLeft
No Lifer

Default "I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

It's funny to us but I guarantee there are parts on other shows, like House, that look equally stupid to a medical professional and that we don't notice. Mrsskoorb points them out to me sometimes. Like if somebody is crashing and they administer 40 cc of some drug I've never heard of it sounds fine to me but for all I know it's twice the dose you'd give to somebody that big, ever, and for that matter the particular drug is only used to calm down chronic erection.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #52
Leros
Lifer

Default "I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

Quote:
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It's funny to us but I guarantee there are parts on other shows, like House, that look equally stupid to a medical professional and that we don't notice. Mrsskoorb points them out to me sometimes. Like if somebody is crashing and they administer 40 cc of some drug I've never heard of it sounds fine to me but for all I know it's twice the dose you'd give to somebody that big, ever, and for that matter the particular drug is only used to calm down chronic erection.
I can live with that. Now if House said "inject him with a cardiogram of aspirin" then I would be bugged.
Leros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #53
Fritzo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: timosyy
Quote:
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Quote:
Originally posted by: speg
Why would they even say that? It doesn't make sense :S
Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.
Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."
I guess they don't teach tracert to CSI people anymore.

heck, I can go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it'll put it on a freakin' Google Map for me. Don't even need a GUI!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #54
Modelworks
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fritzo

heck, I can go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it'll put it on a freakin' Google Map for me. Don't even need a GUI!
I love when ad sites try to use that method for targeting ads at me. It shows a city 200 miles away
Modelworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #55
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Quote:
Originally posted by: Fritzo

I love when ad sites try to use that method for targeting ads at me. It shows a city 200 miles away
Yeah. I live in a decently large city and it shows me in a small city about 70 miles away. A tracert shows that my connection does go through that small city.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #56
rh71
Lifer

Quote:
there ya go: http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #57
Krazy4Real
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: rh71
Quote:
Wow. They really like watching house and dissecting it.
Krazy4Real is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #58
jlee
Lifer

Quote:
:laugh:

You'll probably find that with any mainstream show that follows a specific career..medical, law enforcement...techie stuff..etc.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #59
Leros
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Quote:
Originally posted by: Leros
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers...like me. It doesn't have to make sense to a techy person, it just has to sound good.
Yes, but she could have just as easily said "I'll see if I can track the IP address."
I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.
they could hire a techie out of the networking thread for peanuts and have all of their technical stuff dealt with for dirt cheap, and be far more accurate.
I worked construction for more than 3 decades, I see shit all the time, especially involving cranes that are stupidly inaccurate yet look good to the average viewer.

TV writers don't worry about accuracy only entertainment value.

The medical shows are as bad or worse about their "artistic license" with plots and storylines.

Get over the stupid inaccuracies and just enjoy the show...or change the channel.
As an American it is my right (no, my duty) to whine about trivial things that bother me.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #60
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Quote:
Originally posted by: Leros
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I bet if they took a little bit of effort, they could use plausible ideas with just as many buzzwords. The Joe TV Watchers would still get their buzzwords and the geeks wouldn't be as annoyed.

In an era of growing geekery, it seems like this will need to happen eventually.
they could hire a techie out of the networking thread for peanuts and have all of their technical stuff dealt with for dirt cheap, and be far more accurate.
I worked construction for more than 3 decades, I see shit all the time, especially involving cranes that are stupidly inaccurate yet look good to the average viewer.

TV writers don't worry about accuracy only entertainment value.

The medical shows are as bad or worse about their "artistic license" with plots and storylines.

Get over the stupid inaccuracies and just enjoy the show...or change the channel.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #61
LordMorpheus
Diamond Member

This is why Castle is the best cop show. It doesn't have any of these made-up procedural buzzwords floating around, just good old fashioned characters.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
-- Neal Stephenson
LordMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #62
Parasitic
Diamond Member

NCIS has kept its mumbo jumbo tech nonsense down to a minimum. It still gets annoying at times especially how Abby seems to be able to run LC/MS and get the analytes names right and guess what they make up. However there's more character development and the squad cracks me up.

Each episde still gets 20 million viewers.
Parasitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #63
hanoverphist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Because it SOUNDS good to Joe TV Watcher who knows jack shit about computers... It doesn't have to make sense... it just has to sound good.
this, exactly. if they actually tried to be technically true the show would take forever to prove stuff.

i think ill write me a gui interface in vb to track their tech mistakes in real time
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #64
jonks
Lifer

"I'll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic, see if I can track an IP address"

NO! That'll take too long. It'll be quicker to refresh the LCD and enable V-sync, that'll speed the DNS trace.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #65
meltdown75
Lifer

i just watch it because the Miami scenes look good in 1080i

and the blonde cougar
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #66
hanoverphist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: geno
Quote:
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Quote:
Originally posted by: novasatori
CSI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFkb0d1kbU
haha awesome
my head...it hurts...was that supposed to be a joke or were they trying to be cool and tech-y?
really? seriously? didnt you catch the last part where the robot dood mentioned they could look him up in the book?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #67
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
I visit that site after every show.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #68
FeuerFrei
Diamond Member

"I'll create a database query using SQL, see if I can list the active users on AT."

select u.vchnickname,u.btombstoneavailable,u.iuserid,u.dt birthdate,u.vchfirstname,u.vchlastname from ftdb_users u,ftdb_forumusers fu where fu.iforumid = 1 and u.iuserid = fu.iuserid and dtlastvisiteddate between '2009-10-22T12:10:15' and '2009-10-22T12:26:15' order by vchnickname asc
FeuerFrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #69
her209
No Lifer

Isn't "GUI interface" redundant? Lame.........
Old 10-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #70
meltdown75
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: her209
Isn't "GUI interface" redundant? Lame.........
i'm going to create a gooey GUI
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #71
alevasseur14
Golden Member

There's one thing that hasn't been said yet. I think it would be incredibly annoying to use tech equipment that makes so many 'techy' noises. Every button they push or click makes some kind of beep!

Law and Order, CSI, NCIS... they all do this stuff. We're just the group that happens to notice. I have no idea what they're talking about on House, but it seems reasonable! When I lived in the dorms and my friends and I would watch these shows I'd get told to shut up all the time.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #72
Glitchny
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I visit that site after every show.
yea and considering most shows on tv House actually does a decent job with trying to make their diseases etc accurate. Sure there are inaccuracies and time lines are shortened but it is pretty good at keeping up with actual medical procedures etc.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
Glitchny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #73
Bill Brasky
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: novasatori
CSI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFkb0d1kbU
haha awesome
Uncrop.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #74
BeauJangles
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tobolo
I love how they cant test any substance in a Gas Cromatagraph in about 5 seconds. I full load on the HP machines they use would take hours! Not to mention they do nothing like what they say. Stupid tv writers.
To be fair, if these shows mirrored real life, each episode would take a few months. I have no problems with them speeding up some processes to keep the pace up, but when they start doing things that are simply impossible it gets a little annoying.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #75
I Saw OJ
Diamond Member

LAWL