· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
SAWYER
Lifer

Default Do antibiotics show up on drug test?

My work does random drug tests and I think I am getting a staph infection. I was just going to take some antibiotics my wife had left over from when she had it. In this small chance I would be chosen to test, would an antibiotic even show up?
SAWYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Sawyer
My work does random drug tests and I think I am getting a staph infection. I was just going to take some antibiotics my wife had left over from when she had it. In this small chance I would be chosen to test, would an antibiotic even show up?
Why would your work care that you'd taken antibiotics?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
amdhunter
Lifer

Yeah they do, but the testers know how to tell the difference. Nothing to worry about.
amdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
SAWYER
Lifer

Yeah but it wouldn't be my prescription. Would that matter?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
destrekor
Lifer

If antibiotics do show up (not bothering to research that ), I seriously doubt any employer is going to quiz the individual with "okay, we see you had antibiotics in your system, we need to see your prescription." I mean, nobody takes antibiotics for recreational use.

I think the better question is... are you seriously talking about staph infection? Or, something else, just called it the wrong name, such as a strep infection or something?

If your wife had a staph infection, WHY THE HELL did she not take her entire prescription of pills? And then you want to take the left over, meaning definitely less than full prescription?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
destrekor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
JohnCU
Banned

it's not a scheduled drug im sure
JohnCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
GrantMeThePower
Platinum Member

You better skip those antibiotics just to be safe. That staph infection isn't a big deal. It will take care of itself.

p.s. i'm not a doctor, so i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure you dont need that arm/leg/where ever the infection is.

Heat
GrantMeThePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
JohnCU
Banned

plus, i'm sure the drug tests they order don't look for antibiotics
Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
I don't think they'd even see them. Tests work by targeting specific classes of drugs(alcohol, opiates, *aines...) Antibiotics aren't a typical street drug, so they won't test for them.

I'd be more concerned about you taken a un-perscribed antibiotic. If you screw up the dosage, you could end up with a antibiotic resistant infection, and it could cause you(and others) a major problem down the road.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

Every time I read a thread in OT, I fell just a little bit dumber.

It's not the odds that guide me, it's the stakes
oldsmoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

Quote:
Drug testing is done for illicit substances. Period. Even if you were taking Oxycontin and Valium they are not testing for that. Even if they did test for it, and even if they did find it, they would not be able to tell your employer, it would be a huge HIPAA violation as your medical information is confidential (illicit drug tests are a special exemption from this)

Do not take your wife's medication. See a doctor. What if it is not staph? What if it is staph and the medication is not appropriate for you? What if it is and there is not enough medication? The staph that survived is now resistant to the antibiotic. Not a great idea.
Blackjack200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
SAWYER
Lifer

Ok I am going to the doctor, thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
JohnCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
Quote:
Drug testing is done for illicit substances. Period. Even if you were taking Oxycontin and Valium they are not testing for that. Even if they did test for it, and even if they did find it, they would not be able to tell your employer, it would be a huge HIPAA violation as your medical information is confidential (illicit drug tests are a special exemption from this)

Do not take your wife's medication. See a doctor. What if it is not staph? What if it is staph and the medication is not appropriate for you? What if it is and there is not enough medication? The staph that survived is now resistant to the antibiotic. Not a great idea.
if i was taking benzos and didn't have a script and they showed up, my employer would be told and i'd be fired
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
WelshBloke
Lifer

How many of you have to pee in jars at work to keep your jobs?

*extra points if some one gets the song reference*

Is it accepted in the states or is it viewed as an infringement on your private life?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
lxskllr
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

Is it accepted in the states or is it viewed as an infringement on your private life?
I view it as a infringement. It's bullshit that your after hours activities can affect your employment.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: JohnCU
Quote:
Quote:

if i was taking benzos and didn't have a script and they showed up, my employer would be told and i'd be fired
Yeah I'm pretty sure all controlled substances are tested for, and without a prescription on record, could mean some serious trouble with employment.
But not sure how testing agencies go about finding history of prescriptions, and how they communicate with the employer regarding said history. Because yes, there is some serious confidentiality issues with medical records, but controlled substances are controlled substances, very illegal without prescription (if its a controlled substance that can be prescribed, like benzos, opiates, amphetamines, etc).
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
JohnCU
Banned

Quote:

/me raises hand
Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
destrekor
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Quote:

I view it as a infringement. It's bullshit that your after hours activities can affect your employment.
seriously. The whole issue is drug use at work, of which really cannot be tested for or confirmed. But because its illegal, boom makes it an employment killer even if done after work.
YET, you can keep your job after getting a DUI. Confusing isn't it.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
JohnCU
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: destrekor
Quote:
Originally posted by: lxskllr
Quote:

seriously. The whole issue is drug use at work, of which really cannot be tested for or confirmed. But because its illegal, boom makes it an employment killer even if done after work.
YET, you can keep your job after getting a DUI. Confusing isn't it.
we've had people fired for DUIs before.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

/me raises hand
:beer:
Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
keird
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: destrekor
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure all controlled substances are tested for, and without a prescription on record, could mean some serious trouble with employment.
But not sure how testing agencies go about finding history of prescriptions, and how they communicate with the employer regarding said history. Because yes, there is some serious confidentiality issues with medical records, but controlled substances are controlled substances, very illegal without prescription (if its a controlled substance that can be prescribed, like benzos, opiates, amphetamines, etc).
I think that if you popped hot for a class of drugs, your employer would ask you if you were taking any medications (the most vauge terminology they could). If you were, the employer could ask that you sign a release for your pertinent medical history during that time period. If you were perscribed for the class or classes of drugs during that period, you're good. If not, you're terminated.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #22
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hmm, I think you're right. It's probably scheduled substances rather than strictly illicit substances. I'm surprised that they're able to check your presecription history though, that's friggen BS. Heck the whole thing is BS.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #23
JohnCU
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hmm, I think you're right. It's probably scheduled substances rather than strictly illicit substances. I'm surprised that they're able to check your presecription history though, that's friggen BS. Heck the whole thing is BS.
nah, i can understand. if i'm on xanax the night before and go to work and i'm not fully clear headed yet, it could be bad
Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #24
Blackjack200
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nah, i can understand. if i'm on xanax the night before and go to work and i'm not fully clear headed yet, it could be bad
Someone with a prescription for Xanax could do the same thing. Someone could also get tanked up on alcohol, I don't see how this is an argument for workplace drug testing. BTW, I'm not sure what you do.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #25
JohnCU
Banned

Quote:
Someone with a prescription for Xanax could do the same thing. Someone could also get tanked up on alcohol, I don't see how this is an argument for workplace drug testing. BTW, I'm not sure what you do.
that's hmm that's a good point, but we also have breathalyzers too.
<--- EE in nuclear power