· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Default Can Costco pull up old purchases?

I was quite pleased today when I stopped by Costco, when I asked if my TV was grandfathered in under the old warranty/exchange policy (bought it almost 4 years ago - a few months before they changed the policy on their TV's) - to which the person at the service desk said yes. At that point, I had thought I still had the receipt (big ticket item = save the receipt), but after looking in all the likely places and a few of the more unlikely of places, I can't seem to find it, of course.

Does anyone know if Costco actually keeps a purchase history that they can pull up based on membership? Or am I SOL without finding the receipt?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Baked
Lifer

Exchanging your TV or any electronics at Costco after 90 days will earn you bad karma. At 4 years, I don't even know what the consequences will be. Don't say I didn't warn you. What you're trying to do is not taking advantage of Costco's return policy, it's outright stealing.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
thomsbrain
Lifer

Yes, they track purchases and can pull them up using your membership card for returns and exchanges. People returning their TVs after FOUR FUCKING YEARS is exactly why they no longer allow unlimited return windows on TV's and a few other categories. You folks who abused it ruined it for the rest of us.
thomsbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Howard
Lifer

That shit had better exploded and covered your living room in radioactive goo.

Kitchen stuff
Howard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
UsandThem
Diamond Member

Are we talking about Costco or Rent-A-Center?

Like others said, returning a tv after four years is a douche move..............it's right up there with deciding you didn't want the $45.00 package of ribeyes and throwing them next to poptarts in a aisle and letting them spoil.

My Computer
UsandThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Good lord people - my TV is fucked up and past the manufacturers warranty; this was the very reason I bought it at Costco. Half the time I get no video at all and the other half the time the HDMI output is all purple and blue. Get a grip. Besides, the people that abused the policy were the ones that would "upgrade" every single fucking new model that came out every 6 months.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
UsandThem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SunnyDBesides, the people that abused the policy were the ones that would "upgrade" every single fucking new model that came out every 6 months.
You are correct that the 6 month upgraders were about 75% of the problem. The other 25% were the people who would return TV's after the warranty was up.

Anyways, they will have record of your purchase as long as you roughly know the date you purchased it.

With a return that old and without a receipt, they will probably have to have a staff level or higher manager come over to authorize the return. I have seen them deny returns before that old and without a receipt, manuals, remote, etc.

My Computer
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:
Originally posted by: UsandThem
Quote:
Originally posted by: SunnyDBesides, the people that abused the policy were the ones that would "upgrade" every single fucking new model that came out every 6 months.
You are correct that the 6 month upgraders were about 75% of the problem. The other 25% were the people who would return TV's after the warranty was up.
Which was the entire point of their original policy anyway. :roll:
Old 07-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
UsandThem
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SunnyD

It was intended for the few people that would have problems maybe in the 2nd and 3rd year. Also, somepeople buying a high end TV would buy an extended warranty with the manufacturer.

When people return a tv after 4-10 years of use, it is called being a cheap ass. They should have used Rent-A-Center.

Anyways, you have the information you needed to return it. So return it, and get a new TV that you can only return within 90 days.

My Computer
Old 07-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Baked
Lifer

Quote:

To make exchanging a broken product easier for the consumer within warranty period. Exchanging it at Costco is a lot easier than doing RMA with the product manufacturer.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
beat mania
Platinum Member

They can track your purchase with your driver's license.

My membership lapsed and got I a new number, but they were still able to pull up all my old purchases with my DL.
beat mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
SKORPI0
Lifer

Costco Return Policy

Quote:
Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones.
4 years is way beyond the 90 day return policy. I don't see how in the world you can return a product after the warranty is over. :roll:
NZXT Kraken X60 PULL, Samsung 830 128gb SSD (Windows 7), Kingston
SSDNow V300 120gb (OS X 10.8.2), Dual Yamakasi 2703, Logitech MK320.
SKORPI0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
IAteYourMother
Lifer

so wrong, regardless of whether it was legal or not.

Aimster: Why? Because they are Muslim?

ndtz: Because Britain is our strongest ally and Iran is our biggest enemy? What a stupid question.
IAteYourMother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:
Originally posted by: SKORPI0
Costco Return Policy

Quote:
Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones.
4 years is way beyond the 90 day return policy. :roll:
I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand - I bought the TV before they changed the policy. I asked at the service desk TODAY and they said they would (quote) "Happily" exchange it for me as long as it was purchased before they changed the policy.

You all don't need to be getting so butt hurt about it - I bought my TV there with the number one reason that they would back me up if I ever had problems with it. Yeah, I was pissed too when they changed their policy because of all the folks that abused it regularly. This is the FIRST and ONLY TV that I have bought there, and I have never used their return policy at all before. So give it a rest.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
oogabooga
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Costco Return Policy

Quote:
I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand - I bought the TV before they changed the policy. I asked at the service desk TODAY and they said they would (quote) "Happily" exchange it for me as long as it was purchased before they changed the policy.

You all don't need to be getting so butt hurt about it - I bought my TV there with the number one reason that they would back me up if I ever had problems with it. Yeah, I was pissed too when they changed their policy because of all the folks that abused it regularly. This is the FIRST and ONLY TV that I have bought there, and I have never used their return policy at all before. So give it a rest.
The point of the original policy wasn't to cover your purchase from any failure but from unreasonable failure.

I'm not passing judgement either way but I don't think this is really an argument you're going to win. The old policy was certainly flawed and ripe for abuse and a lot of people did abuse it and clearly some people here think you are doing that. Regardless of if you are or not - you're not likely to convince people. 4 years isn't exactly like the tv company and costco are trying to pull a fast one on you.

oogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
KLin
Lifer

http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp...007/02/costco_memo.jpg
Old 07-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Strk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Costco Return Policy

Quote:

And if you do what you're about to after four years, it will still be the only TV you bought from them. They're about to take a hit to return that TV because I doubt they'll get credit for any of it.
Strk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #18
KLin
Lifer

I don't see a problem with what the OP wants to do. Costco's old return policy had no expiration. It was the people wanting to upgrade on Costco's dime that caused them to change to the 90 day return policy on electronics.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
BoomerD
Lifer

edit.

I just swapped a couple of emails with a friend who used to work for the local Costco.

He says that with a receipt, they'll probably take it back, but you're a douche for expecting them to honor the "satisfaction warranty" on a 4 year old television.
BoomerD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #20
PieIsAwesome
Diamond Member

Return with no expiration? What an idiotic policy, OP take advantage of it while you still can.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
Penth

I'm with the OP. he bought it from costco for the extra protection that their warranty offered. We've had TVs last 10-15 years in the past. I doubt anyone here would buy a new TV if they knew it was going to die within 4 years. So when he has the coverage and the TV didn't last as long as he probably expected it should, why not? It's not like he'll ever be able to do it again.
Penth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #22
IEC
Lifer

Prepare to be blacklisted or flagged for "special" treatment in the future.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
notposting
Platinum Member

I agree with Penth agreeing with SunnyD. 4 years for a TV, especially one that had to have cost a boatload of money, is horseshit. The policy was especially created since these douchebags could upgrade AND get money back every time. Buy $2000 camera. Wait 6-9 months. Exchange for a better $1800 camera. Get $200 back....on and on.

Some stores won't accept unreasonable stuff though.
notposting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 AM   #24
marketsons1985
Platinum Member

Some people just don't get it.

Costco used to have this policy to back up the products they sell for 4 years. That means if it failed within 4 years, they'd take it back as a return. It was under this policy that the OP bought the TV.

Then people took advantage of it, and returned it for no reason within the 4 years to upgrade to the newest model. This is NOT what the OP is doing. Read up and see that the TV is f'ed up.

He stopped by to ask about the policy and whether he was grandfathered in, he was NOT expecting it. Nor is he expecting them to take it back without a receipt. Hence why he asked here.

Jesus people, read the OP and don't go on and on about people that are NOT the OP.

Proud Physics Teacher in Fairfax County Public Schools.
marketsons1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Well, just so I can have you guys scorn and ridicule me some more - Unfortunately, the only Costco receipt that I found was so faded I couldn't determine whether it was for the DSLR I bought my wife or for the TV, so I called my local warehouse. The gentleman on the phone was more than happy to look up my account and found the purchase. He told me to take down all the item information so I could give it to the service desk when I get there, and told my I would need all of the accessories (which I have - including the manuals). He said they wouldn't have any problems exchanging out the TV for me, and even went so far to see if I would have to exchange for the same brand because I don't have the original box, which apparently I won't have to (not that I would have minded either way). Basically I'll get a Costco cash card for the original purchase price of the TV and can go from there.

Incidentally - the TV was purchased in December of 2006 - so it's a bit more than 2 1/2 years old, rather than 4 like I thought (man time flies!). Anyone that wants to bitch about it - their new policy would have doubled my manufacturer's warranty, and since I'd likely use Amex to buy it it would get doubled again. I know I'm going to be buying a second TV (for the bedroom) from them.

So now I get to take my dying TV with flaky HDMI, and power-on issues - oh, forgot to mention the optical out on it is dead too, and Costco is going to take care of me. There's a reason I pay $100/year for my membership there. Cause they rock.

There you have it. Scorn and ridicule me all you want folks.