· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
hoyaguru

Default Getting caught lying on notarized documents

If you go to a notary public and get something notarized, what does that mean exactly? And if you knowingly put false information on it, and get caught, what can happen to you?
hoyaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
phoenix79
Golden Member

FPMITAP for perjury, fraud and such
Old 07-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Pantoot
Golden Member

A notary is only there to verify that the person who signs it is the person that they say they are.
Lying on a document signed by a notary is no different than one signed by a stranger, other than you can't claim that it wasn't that signed it.
Pantoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
oiprocs
Diamond Member

JAUHASB for surgery, broads and such
oiprocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Yukmouth
Banned

Three years in a maximum security penn bro don't do it
Yukmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
MotF Bane
Banned

You'll be spending a lot of time with Bubba.
MotF Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
oiprocs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
You'll be spending a lot of time with Bubba.
And Jimbo.
oiprocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
OCGuy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pantoot
A notary is only there to verify that the person who signs it is the person that they say they are.
Lying on a document signed by a notary is no different than one signed by a stranger, other than you can't claim that it wasn't that signed it.
This man knows of what he speaks.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
ViviTheMage
Lifer

Death

vivi's blog

238-0-0
ViviTheMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
mugs
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pantoot
This.

Whether you can get in trouble for it depends on what the document was.

"Giants are the luckiest team I've ever seen in my entire life" - Reckoner; Super Bowl XLVI
mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Yukmouth
Three years in a maximum security penn bro don't do it
Um, lying in and of itself isn't illegal. We'd need to know the context of the lie.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
BoomerD
Lifer

In many states, the person receiving the notary service done has to "swear an oath," whether vocally or by his signature, attesting that the information is true and correct. Lying about this can result in persecution for perjury.

Of course, the severity of the perjury and what kind/type of documents may determine whether or not prosecution is justified.

I'm probably going to take the Kahleeforneeya Notary class this fall and become a Notary Public myself...
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
OCGuy
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: BoomerD
In many states, the person receiving the notary service done has to "swear an oath," whether vocally or by his signature, attesting that the information is true and correct. Lying about this can result in persecution for perjury.

Of course, the severity of the perjury and what kind/type of documents may determine whether or not prosecution is justified.

I'm probably going to take the Kahleeforneeya Notary class this fall and become a Notary Public myself...

Then you should know you are only swearing to thier identity, not if the information is true or not.

When you notarize mortgage loan paperwork, you have no idea if they are lying about thier income, assets, if they will occupy the property, etc. You are only attesting that they are who they say they are by getting IDs in compliance with the Patriot Act.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: OCguy

Then you should know you are only swearing to thier identity, not if the information is true or not.

When you notarize mortgage loan paperwork, you have no idea if they are lying about thier income, assets, if they will occupy the property, etc. You are only attesting that they are who they say they are by getting IDs in compliance with the Patriot Act.
Agreed. But if you lie on a notary form, it can still be considered perjury. While the Notary is only responsible for verifying the identity of the signer, providing false information about identity makes it perjury. This has nothing to do with the content of the documents...only the identity of the person signing the documents.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Pacfanweb
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Quote:
Originally posted by: OCguy

Agreed. But if you lie on a notary form, it can still be considered perjury. While the Notary is only responsible for verifying the identity of the signer, providing false information about identity makes it perjury. This has nothing to do with the content of the documents...only the identity of the person signing the documents.
It's true that the notary only verifies that the signer is, in fact, who they are signing that they are.

You aren't going to get in trouble with the law, unless what you are signing is a legal document.

"One of the reasons I left Sabbath is Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." Ozzy
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
hoyaguru

Here's the deal: I work for a company that does inspections (not telling what kind). Starting soon, a new law is going into effect that all inspectors have to have a new type of certificate. To get the certificate, there is a test that has to be passed, and the employee has to meet one of four requirements, a bachelor's degree in certain subjects, graduation from certain institutions, possesion of a license as an engineer, or 4 years of work experience in the field. A lot of employees have none of these requirements. The company has a form that we have to get notarized, saying that we have the 4 years of experience.

The company knows that several employees will be lying on their notarized form, but if the employee has this certificate, the company can charge more than double for their services. I'm not planning on taking the test or signing the form, but there are several employees who need the extra money this certificate will get them salary-wise, though they are scared as to what might happen if they get caught.

I had heard years ago that getting a form notarized makes it an "Official Document", and lying on it could get you a fine or even jail time.
hoyaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
arcenite
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: hoyaguru
Here's the deal: I work for a company that does inspections (not telling what kind). Starting soon, a new law is going into effect that all inspectors have to have a new type of certificate. To get the certificate, there is a test that has to be passed, and the employee has to meet one of four requirements, a bachelor's degree in certain subjects, graduation from certain institutions, possesion of a license as an engineer, or 4 years of work experience in the field. A lot of employees have none of these requirements. The company has a form that we have to get notarized, saying that we have the 4 years of experience.

The company knows that several employees will be lying on their notarized form, but if the employee has this certificate, the company can charge more than double for their services. I'm not planning on taking the test or signing the form, but there are several employees who need the extra money this certificate will get them salary-wise, though they are scared as to what might happen if they get caught.

I had heard years ago that getting a form notarized makes it an "Official Document", and lying on it could get you a fine or even jail time.
Sounds like a job for the Goose!
arcenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
MikeyIs4Dcats
Lifer

if the certification is legally required, there are most likely civil or criminal penalties for claiming it without being qualified.