Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
matrixx

Default AC adapter not recognized by Dell Inspiron 1501

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 that I have had for 2-3 years now.
System Info:
Processor: Mobile AMD Sempron 3500+ 1.80 GHz
Memory: 2.00 GB

When I power on the notebook, I get this error every time:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING: The AC adapter type cannot be determined.
This will prevent optimal system performance.
Please check AC adapter connect properly, remove
AC adapter and plug-in it again,thanks.

Press Any Key to Continue

Press <F2> 2 times to enter SETUP
Press <F12> and Any Key to enter Boot Menu
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My system runs perfectly normal, except my battery condition is currently "23% available (plugged in, not charging)". If I remove power, the battery level drops, but upon replacing power, the reduced battery level persists.

The adapter is of the PA-12 family, 65 watt AC adapter--the correct adapter for a Dell Inspiron 1501.

My original adapter failed years ago, and was replaced by this one, received directly from Dell. The battery is perfectly functional; the AC adapter just won't charge it.

I have removed and reinstalled both the battery and adapter numerous times to avail, flashed and reflashed the BIOS to the latest available (Phoenix Bios Revision 2.6.3) which is the edition that was originally installed on my notebook.

I have read a loose power port to motherboard connection could be to blame, but this being a hardware issue is what I fear most. I find the power plug connected to the back of my notebook is not firm and sturdy; it wiggles easily, though I have removed the cord and battery and found that the structure in the center of the power port that intercepts the center pin of the power cord is sturdy, so the wiggle must be the actual plug, not the port's connection to the motherboard.

If you have had an experience similar to mine, or have any advice that could help me resolve this issue, please share, thanks.

matrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
kjband13oc

I have a 1501 and a 1521 both had same problem.I bought 2 90w dell replacement ac adapters from ebay.havent had anymore problems.
kjband13oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
matrixx

I know that would fix the problem, but the adapters are designed to fail. It powers my laptop perfectly; why can't it charge the battery?
matrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
maldo

Actually I did have same issue with my Dell Vostro 1000 before long time ago if you look under your laptop there is service tag under your laptop

before you read if you did upgrade your OS here is an advice download drivers related to chips , firmware upgrade, bios....etc - not basic stuff like inputting devices -audio -they are installed from vista or windows 7

1- go to dell's driver from the official website
2- you can search by model or service tag - select service tag for there are many models with different interior like motherboard -CPU ..etc
3- it will show your laptop and the recommended drivers download them all for sometimes there are update drivers for fixes and bugs other users like you had
4- This is V.I your ac has to be dell if it is it wont show the message at all
5- if you have a bios upgrade connect your dell laptop (do not use 3rd party AC adapters) to your dell adapter and start flashing the bios - an advice it is risky but if you were to do it close all applications -internet explorer everything
if you do all of this you wont have this message and you would charge your battery normally

The Cause of this message ==> Dell laptops has a detection of other chargers (3rd party AC adapters ) - I know this is stinky for having more profit and they should be sued and all of these stuff i hope this would be kind of good help to you
maldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
JWade
Platinum Member

on a side note, your 1501 can be upgraded to a dual core really cheap, for under $20
JWade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
hal2kilo
Diamond Member

I have this problem occasionally on both my Inspiron 1505E and my Vostro 1700. It's wierd. I guess if it was constant I'd get a new AC adapter. Must be either the adapter drops in voltage or whatever is measuring the voltage in the laptops is a little sensitive.

Any ideas out there? My title is Senior Engineer but I have no paper. Been a tech all my career except I'm in supervision now so that's all I can think is going on.

Go Mariners!

Love my new Grande Cherokee Eco-Diesel
hal2kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
AnMig
Golden Member

read these links about Dell ac adapters:

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast...stery-revealed

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/95...er-jack-pinout

Basically dell ac adapters has a middle pin connected to a id chip. Lap top reads the chip id to identify the type of AC adapter (dell brand).

Either the chip in the ac adapter is faulty and not sending the signal properly or worst case scenario the reciever to id the chip in the mobo is broken.

Symptoms include:
will not boot up since ac adapter not recognized
will boot up on ac but will not charge the battery
it may prevent your cpu from stepping up (speed-step) and run at the lowest rated speed (not sure about this one.

you can probably find a dell compatible ac adapter in e-bay, just buy original ac adapter.

peace
AnMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
maldo

I will tell you something man when i was taking the A+ course our instructor told us to search for support and of all the brands he chose Dell and let me tell you this - The least brand in supporting I did found - after what I had with Vostro 1000 - I did not buy a Dell Laptop - So here is another piece of advice do not buy Dell

Buy Apple - HP - Sony or Toshiba
My Current Laptop: G60-445DX
OH Note Modern Laptops have silicon chips without proper cooling so you need a cooler so you can protect your PC from heat building - its technical term Laptop Overheating - you can buy it from Walmart - Best buy if you are living in USA and Canada probably
This might seem off topic but i hope it is helpful if you ever think of buying a new laptop for any reason
maldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
hal2kilo
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldo View Post
I will tell you something man when i was taking the A+ course our instructor told us to search for support and of all the brands he chose Dell and let me tell you this - The least brand in supporting I did found - after what I had with Vostro 1000 - I did not buy a Dell Laptop - So here is another piece of advice do not buy Dell

Buy Apple - HP - Sony or Toshiba
My Current Laptop: G60-445DX
OH Note Modern Laptops have silicon chips without proper cooling so you need a cooler so you can protect your PC from heat building - its technical term Laptop Overheating - you can buy it from Walmart - Best buy if you are living in USA and Canada probably
This might seem off topic but i hope it is helpful if you ever think of buying a new laptop for any reason
Own a Dell 1505E, from Dell outlet, has worked fine for me the last 3 years, use a Dell D610 as my desktop at work for the last 5 years, slow as shit, but works fine.
Own a Dell 1700, from Dell outlet, for the last 6 months, has worked fine for me.

Can find parts anywhere. I will admit that sometimes Dell support sucks, especially for support of later operating systems. Essentially, they've orphaned the Vostro 1700 when it comes to Win 7. Actually, I only have driver issues with the 360 Bluetooth chip. Other than that I like Dells. Of course as a frustrated old field service tech now in supervision, I have no fear of opening the hood on these things and fixing them myself.

Whatever floats your boat.

Go Mariners!

Love my new Grande Cherokee Eco-Diesel
hal2kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
erikistired
Diamond Member

my xps m1330 just started doing this. really annoying.
erikistired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Anonemous
Diamond Member

Had the same problem with my dell 1505. Had to either jiggle the AC power supply or try unplugging/plugging until it would charge. I just left it plugged in all the time since the battery only lasted an hour.
Anonemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
Lanyap
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikistired View Post
my xps m1330 just started doing this. really annoying.

Seems to be a common problem with that model.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...a6fa40f303a0e3
Lanyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
corkyg
Peripherals

Laptops in general have three components relating to power and battery charging. If the A/C adapter runs the system w/o the battery installed, it can be assumed good. If the battery is good, that can be eliminated. The third element is the actual charging circuit on the mobo. If that fails, the battery can't charge. The latter condition is one that diagnostic substitution can't handle.

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
thesmokingman

I had this failure on my xps 1530m, luckily it was inside the 1st year of warranty. In my specific case the connector on the motherboard was faulty... ie. the solder joints break from use. Per my warranty at the time, Dell sent a tech out next day and swapped the board. It's a problem with that vintage XPS models, I figured they'd learned their lesson and made next gen laptops more durable in that dept.

Is yours still under warranty?
thesmokingman is offline   Reply With Quote