· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 05-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Gustavus
Golden Member

Default Can't uninstall ESET security suite

I have ESET Security Suite 4.0.424 installed and working on this machine -- updating virus definitions as it should and scanning OK. There is an update to version 4.0.437 available so I decided to install it. Midway in the installation it reports the installer does not have the necessary permission etc. and backs out of the installation. I decided to uninstall the old version and then install fresh with the new version -- my key is still good for it. Your Uninstaller does not show any ESET software, Control Panel/add-Remove does not show any ESET software either. I opened in Safe Mode and found the same thing -- plus which i could not delete the ESET folder. In other words ESET apparently can't be removed from my computer. The older version of the Security Suite is still present and running just fine after all of these efforts to get rid of it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Really weird that the software doesn't show in either Your Uninstaller or in Add/Remove programs. Since the old version is working, I don't have to do anything. But I also should be able to make the upgrade -- or remove the software for that matter if I choose to do so.
Gustavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
hclarkjr
Lifer

might want to ask your question here.
Cooler master HAF932, Dell 2408WFP, Gigabyte P67A-UD4 B3 REV. 1.1, Intel core I7 2600K, XIGMATEK SD-1283 Gaia, Intel X25-M G2 160GB,16gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 1600mhz,Crossfired Radeon HD6950, Pioneer BDR-205, Samsung SH-S243N 24X DVD-RW, western digital black 2TB,Antec TPQ-850 850W , windows 8.1 pro X64
hclarkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Gustavus
Golden Member

hclarkjr

Thanks for the reply. I had found the posts on Wilder Security and have been trying to follow a set of instructions posted there for the manual removal of ESET Security Suite. After editing the registry in regedit, you are supposed to be able to delete the ESET folder in the program files. I say supposed to since I have not been able to thus far. I am still trying to uninstall ESET without being forced to reinstall Windows XP and start over. I can do that, but shouldn't have too. I have just downloaded Unlocker Assistant and hope to use it to uninstall some of the files that can't apparently be uninstalled normally.

It could be worse. I could be struggling to get rid of Norton -- which I have done on several machines in the past. Norton is harder to get rid of than any virus -- IMHO.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
bruceb
Diamond Member

Try the steps listed here:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/inde...2116&actp=LIST_POPULAR

How do I uninstall or re-install ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (4.0)
KB Solutions I SOLN2116|Last Revised: May 14, 2009

Due to corrupted installations or newer program releases, reinstalling your ESET security product is sometimes necessary. To uninstall, follow the steps below.

1. Click Start ? All Programs ? ESET ? Uninstall. After you uninstall, you will need to restart your computer.

2. After restarting, click Start ? My Computer. Navigate to and delete the following folders:

CProgram Files\ESET
CDocuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET
CDocuments and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\ESET

Vista Users must delete the following folders:
CProgram Files\ESET
CProgram Data\ESET

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

To reinstall, first download ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus onto your Desktop using the links below for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.

IMPORTANT: Please check your operating system version before downloading.

32-bit:

ESET Smart Security 4.0: http://download.eset.com/downl...n/ess/ess_nt32_enu.msi
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0: http://download.eset.com/downl...n/eav/eav_nt32_enu.msi

64-bit:

ESET Smart Security 4.0: http://download.eset.com/downl...n/ess/ess_nt64_enu.msi
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0: http://download.eset.com/downl...n/eav/eav_nt64_enu.msi

NOTE: You will need your unique username and password to download your ESET security product. Please reference your confirmation email for this information or click here to retrieve your username and password.

Once the download has completed, you may be prompted to click Run and begin the installation process. Click Run if you are prompted. If not, navigate to your Desktop or wherever you saved the .msi file and double-click it.

NOTE: If the installation gives an error and you previously had ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed on your computer, verify that you have uninstalled it completely according to the instructions above.

Click here for step-by-step instructions with screenshots, or follow the steps below:

1. Click Next.
2. Select I accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Next.
3. Select Typical Installation and click Next.
4. Enter in your username and password that were provided at the time of purchase. (The username starts with 'AV-' or ?EAV-?) Do not select the check box labeled Set update parameters later. Click Next.
5. Continue with the installation by clicking on the Next button. Ensure all ENABLE check boxes are selected.

If you need further assistance with the installation process, please refer to one of the following manuals:

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.0: http://www.eset.com/download/EAV4_User_Guide_ENU.pdf

ESET Smart Security 4.0: http://www.eset.com/download/ESS4_User_Guide_ENU.pdf

Also be sure you got the correct language version (English, in your case) as prior
to May 20 only the Czech language update was released

Just a thought .. Are you running Spybot SD or Spyware Blaster ? ?
If so disable them, especially if you use the Tea Timer in Spybot
which will stop certain registry changes from being done while it is on.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Gustavus
Golden Member

bruceb

Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate the help. I now have 4.0.437 installed and working: have already updated the definitions file and done a system scan. Something must have either been corrupted in the original installation of 4.0.424 or became corrupted in my efforts to uninstall it. Even after the appropriate keys in the registry were deleted (in regedit) it was impossible to delete the ESET folder in program files. The details aren't of interest, but those files that couldn't be deteted. were gotten rid of one by one by invoking Unlocker Assistant.

As alway, the anandtech community is both knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
bruceb
Diamond Member

Glad you got it. Those directions came from the nod32 kb site
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
esetdel71

Default C:\WINDOWS\Installer\ESS_3.0.650_32-bit.msi

I keep getting this error when trying to uninstall ESET smart security 3.0.650

I've all of the uninstall steps including regedit and etc...but when I try to reinstall/uninstall it gives me this error message. I am fed up with this frustration. Can anyone help?

A network error occured while attempting to read from the file:

CWINDOWS\Installer\ESS_3.0.650_32-bit.msi

Thanks in advance!

Del
esetdel71 is offline   Reply With Quote