· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
TheBiggmann

Default Buying Used/Refurbed Touch: Good or bad idea?

So, my 5th gen ipod video is dying a slow and painful death, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 32 gig iPod touch. However, I can't swing $400 for an iPod, just not happening. What do you guys think about buying used or refurbed off of ebay? Also, is there a huge difference between first and second gen?
TheBiggmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
boomhower
Diamond Member

I would say you'd be fine. I just got a refurbed nano and I can't tell it from new other than the packaging. The vast vast majority of stories I have read about apple refurbs have been great, from ipod's to macbooks, all but a couple have been positive. Just be realistic and expect a couple scratches, the back of those things are ridiculous to keep pristine.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Good. Apple refurbs are top notch. For ipods, the refurb page even says they replace all external casing.

Hell, I dropped $1100 on a refurb Macbook and it came totally new. It was just in plain packaging, but even had all of the plastic films they put on the outside surfaces.

There really aren't many sales on Apple products, but the refurbs are just about as good a discount as will exist. I buy them as though I'm getting something new.
sjwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: boomhower
I would say you'd be fine. I just got a refurbed nano and I can't tell it from new other than the packaging. The vast vast majority of stories I have read about apple refurbs have been great, from ipod's to macbooks, all but a couple have been positive. Just be realistic and expect a couple scratches, the back of those things are ridiculous to keep pristine.
From Apple's 8gb touch refurb page:

http://store.apple.com/us/prod...528LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE3Ng

See middle-right graphic. Includes a new battery and outer shell.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Well, though I was about to jump in with the same as the rest of you, I noticed that the OP mentioned getting it off eBay. I would be hesitant to say the least. If it seems to good to be true... it probably is.
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
silverpig
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheBiggmann
So, my 5th gen ipod video is dying a slow and painful death, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 32 gig iPod touch. However, I can't swing $400 for an iPod, just not happening. What do you guys think about buying used or refurbed off of ebay? Also, is there a huge difference between first and second gen?
There is a difference yes. There's enough of a difference that I'm thinking of selling my 1st gen 16GB touch and getting a 2nd gen 16GB touch. The only reason I'm not is because I hear a 3rd gen is in the works and I might be in the market for a macbook + education discount.

Anywho, the main differences are:

Rounded case (the 1st gen has sharp edges to me)
External volume controls on the 2nd gen (pretty nice feature)
mic ability through the headphones
nike+ if you run

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
silverpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
sjwaste
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheStu
Well, though I was about to jump in with the same as the rest of you, I noticed that the OP mentioned getting it off eBay. I would be hesitant to say the least. If it seems to good to be true... it probably is.
I should've read more carefully.

For the OP: Refurb doesn't necessarily mean that Apple refurbed it. I'd be hesitant to buy anything that didn't come from them, as often times, people will sell you "used" or "open box" items that they call refurbished. Kind of like how Newegg does it.

It's something the FTC should look at, because often, refurbished items from vendors aren't refurbished at all, it seems.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Newfie

My refurb Macbook needed new memory (system kept crashing) and a top panel for the body (the keyboard area) due to cracking, a faulty key, and a faulty trackpad button. Now this new trackpad feels all wonky (the cursor can jump around a lot) and I'm probably gonna take it back for servicing...for the fourth time in less then a year.

I don't know the average quality of apples refurb products. While each time I needed my Macbook serviced the service center I go to repaired it promptly, I am still pretty disappointed in the quality (I do take care of my computer)

Who knows, I just might be unlucky.
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Injury
Lifer

Quote:
If it's a refurb from eBay, it probably has no warranty and no credibility.

Buy a refurb from the apple store if you want to save a few bucks, but don't go to an outside vendor.
Injury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
mmntech
Lifer

If you buy a refurb from a reputable dealer, you should be fine. I bought my HDTV as a refurb floor model and it's been great. I'd be weary about eBay though. Stick to buying them direct from Apple or an Apple authorized dealer. As for your second question, no, there isn't much difference between the new and old touch. However, it is preloaded with iPhone OS 2.0 meaning you have connectivity to the App Store right out of the box. It costs $9.99 to upgrade the old model to the new OS. It also has physical volume buttons and a built in speaker. This explains all the new features in OS 2.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS_version_history

What's wrong with your current iPod anyway? You might be able to get it fixed. Probably just needs a new battery.

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
TheBiggmann

First off, thanks for the replies. So from what i gather ebay might not be the best route to go. The only thing I don't like about the refurbs from the apple store is that they're still $350... I'm 18, I can't afford this shit!! Haha, but anyway, I like the idea of an external volume control and the nike+ in the second gen, that could be a pretty big selling point. How far off in the future does a 3rd gen look? And any leaks on possibile changes to it? Even if i don't buy a third gen, I bet the seconds drop in price. Maybe not though. And as far as whats wrong with my iPod, indeed a battery is part of it. The battery life now blows, it is prone to freezing, a lot, it won't let me take certain things off it with Senuti (never used to have a problem), the audio jack will sometimes get staticky, the screen is in terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE condition because it was bought as soon as they were released (I think they changed the screens soon after because they were so bad with scratches, maybe not tho). It's just time for an upgrade, it's served me well these past four years.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
secretanchitman
Diamond Member

my dad bought two 8GB ipod touches from the refurb store. they came in perfect condition - every accessory, every manual, brand new cables and battery, no fingerprints/dents/scratches on the ipod itself, etc..honestly OP, just wait until the summer if you can - the new iphone will come out and ive also read that a new ipod touch will come out as well around then... that way, the 2G touches will drop even further in price.

traditionally, new ipods have always come out in september (if youve noticed, apple always has a back to school deal that lets you get a free printer and a free current gen ipod - they only do it to clear inventory and make way for the new generation of ipods). this summer looks to be different, if its any indication from what ive seen and read on various mac sites though. about the 2G touch though, its goddamned fantastic and hilariously improved over the 1G models. i have no idea why apple crippled them in the first place....

Apple iPhone 5S (64GB/Space Grey/Sprint/7.0.6/Jailbroken/Unlocked)
Apple iPad Air (128GB/Space Grey/Sprint/7.0.6/Jailbroken/Unlocked)
Apple iMac 27" (3.4Ghz/16GB/256GB+1TB/6970M 2GB/OSX 10.9.4)
Apple Macbook Pro 15" (2.6Ghz/16GB/1TB/750M 2GB/Retina/OSX 10.9.4)
secretanchitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
First off, thanks for the replies. So from what i gather ebay might not be the best route to go. The only thing I don't like about the refurbs from the apple store is that they're still $350... I'm 18, I can't afford this shit!! Haha, but anyway, I like the idea of an external volume control and the nike+ in the second gen, that could be a pretty big selling point. How far off in the future does a 3rd gen look? And any leaks on possibile changes to it? Even if i don't buy a third gen, I bet the seconds drop in price. Maybe not though. And as far as whats wrong with my iPod, indeed a battery is part of it. The battery life now blows, it is prone to freezing, a lot, it won't let me take certain things off it with Senuti (never used to have a problem), the audio jack will sometimes get staticky, the screen is in terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE condition because it was bought as soon as they were released (I think they changed the screens soon after because they were so bad with scratches, maybe not tho). It's just time for an upgrade, it's served me well these past four years.
I hear you. They are vary expensive. You don't have to go with a Touch though. Tiger Direct has refurb 6th gen 30gb iPod Videos going for $130. That's just one place I can think of.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...pNo=4331065&CatId=2539

As for a third gen Touch, I'm thinking probably this Fall if the rumoured iPhone 3.0 comes out this summer.

Boycott SiriusXM
Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
TheBiggmann

I really dont wanna wait for the fall, ive been putting this off forever and its getting to thepoint where i want to punt a baby off a roof every time i turn my ipod on. And i know i could go with another video, and ive thought about maybe going with like a 60 or 80 gig video/classic, but its taken me four years to put 16 gigs of music and video on my current ipod, so i dont think ill fill up 32 anytime soon. Are there any leaks on features of the third gen touch that could possibly be must haves?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
mmntech
Lifer

Quote:
I really dont wanna wait for the fall, ive been putting this off forever and its getting to thepoint where i want to punt a baby off a roof every time i turn my ipod on. And i know i could go with another video, and ive thought about maybe going with like a 60 or 80 gig video/classic, but its taken me four years to put 16 gigs of music and video on my current ipod, so i dont think ill fill up 32 anytime soon. Are there any leaks on features of the third gen touch that could possibly be must haves?
I'm just speculating since the Tough G2 came out immediately after the iPhone 3G. Apple has said nothing about the next Touch. I have the iPhone and it's a pretty neat toy. However, my main attraction to it was the 3G internet. If you're not picky about screen size, Apple has refurbished 16gb iPod Nanos for $149.
http://store.apple.com/us/prod...905LL/A?mco=MjE0NjEzNQ

If you're music isn't iTunes protected, take a look at Creative's Zen 32gb. It's also a PMP with video and FM radio. They're it $199. It has expandable storage by means of an SD slot.
http://us.creative.com/product...ampaigns&WT.mc_id=8867

You can also check out Creative's Zen X-FI Wireless, which is $199 for 16gb and also has expandable storage via SD card. Supports DivX and Xvid too.
http://us.creative.com/product...14&product=17811&nav=1

Boycott SiriusXM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
TheBiggmann

the screen size isnt so much a big deal, its just that 16 gigs wont cover me. I would go outside apple, but a lot of my music is itunes drm protected. I also loooove the idea of all the apps at my fingertips, im a sucker for that stuff (but arent we all?) Im really not thinking they can add all that much that i would really really want because there isnt that much that is vital in the first place. But its so hard to get past that 350 dollar price tag! Someone just tell me ill feel better about it after i take the plunge haha.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
mmntech
Lifer

All I can say is, if you can't afford it don't buy it. After some quick Googling, I did spot this...

32gb iPod Touch First Generation: Apple Store $279
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB376?mco=MTg1MTg3NA

You'll have to spend $10 to upgrade to iPhone OS 2.0 and the App Store but it's still a heck of a good deal considering it was originally $499 when it first came out. You're not going to do much better than that.

Boycott SiriusXM
Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
TheBiggmann

Well, took the plunge this morning. I ended up buying new though, mom didn't like the idea of buying a refurb, and forwarded that concern to dad, who shelled the extra 50 bucks for new. Can't argue. Looking forward to getting it friday, especially since my ipod legit doesn't work now. Half my playlists are gone, all except the first one have no songs on them, it won't connect to my computer and instead says it doesn't recognize it and needs to reformat, I can get some songs if i go through songs, albums, aritsts, etc, but only certain ones. It either takes forever to start, skips through to a song on the cd that works, which in the case i encountered this morning was a song off of itunes that was mixed in with the rest of the songs from the cd, or it will just freeze. Poor guy, it was a brave soldier... took quite the beating my freshman year... May it rest in peace.