Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
alkemyst
No Lifer

Default HOT! Ridgid TS3650/3660 on sale at Home Depots: $399

This is a relatively newer saw with a huge following...Ridgid is releasing a hybrid style (internal motor, riving knife, cabinet mounted trunnions, smaller but granit top) called the R4511 for $599 this spring (can be special ordered now)...so they are blowing this model out at $399.

The sku for the TS3660 is 105495 (this is the same sku as the TS3650, they are equivalent, buth the 3660 has a few minor updates). Link @ HD

Just picked up the last boxed one in my immediate area, the rest are pre-assembled displays (which is nice for those not wanting to do the full assembly but they should still be tweaked/checked for 45 and 90 degs).

Here is a link to a write up: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22955
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
grohl
Platinum Member

Thanks OP, wish there were more threads like this - I love tool sales.

Trying to decide between a pure table saw like this vs a portable table saw for the extra room...anyone chime in on this? Hate to dedicate the room a table saw requires.

I would definitely grab this if I KNEW I was in the market for a table saw though...been very happy with my Ridgid power tools so far.
grohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
alkemyst
No Lifer

A portable is good for job site work but I prefer a slider saw...unless you really weigh down a portable they are not safe to rip large stock. This is why cabinet saws mostly weight 300lbs+....plus it dampens vibration.

This saw is a great deal and does roll, but you will need 64.5" x 40" of space to store it ...

Lifetime warranty also BTW...you have to register with Ridgid or it's only 3 years.

The box for it is 48x30x19 and 301lbs (the R4511 weights 450lbs).

I am not so sure on the granite top on that other saw and the fence doesn't look as nice. It's still a terrific bargain for the features...just not sure if it's worth almost double the cost. That $200 could buy another tool, a nice set of blades, etc.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
grohl
Platinum Member

Damn you alkemyst, after combing through the forums I was convinced I had to have this saw.

After combing the area, found a 3660 and a 10% off coupon put the total at $387 and change.

Seriously, thanks, and long live the internets and the HD forum, forever. Amen.
grohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
alkemyst
No Lifer

on ridgidforums.com under woodworking there is some discussion on blade options.

Table Saw Blade Review

The Infinity 010-060 is $59 now on sale (normally $69) and the WWII mentioned is on sale for $87 at rockler.com (normally $104)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Adul
Elite Member

i love this table saw. great buy
Phone: LG G2
blog: http://danny.tangtam.com
Adul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
ericlp
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: alkemyst
on ridgidforums.com under woodworking there is some discussion on blade options.

Table Saw Blade Review

The Infinity 010-060 is $59 now on sale (normally $69) and the WWII mentioned is on sale for $87 at rockler.com (normally $104)
http://www.homedepot.com/webap...gle-_-D25X-_-100055325

I use these blades, they rock!

ericlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Marlin1975
Lifer

This is a ok saw but it is not a 1 1/2hp. At 13amps it is maybe 1 1/4 at best. So I would not run a Full kerf blade in it.

Rigid TS3660 link

I like the Delta contractor better but it does cost a little more and does not come with a fence.
Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Vetterin

Good thing I read OP's post 7 times cause at first I though $399 was a crazy price and wanted to know when Rigid started making HD3650 video cards.
Vetterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
This is a ok saw but it is not a 1 1/2hp. At 13amps it is maybe 1 1/4 at best. So I would not run a Full kerf blade in it.

Rigid TS3660 link

I like the Delta contractor better but it does cost a little more and does not come with a fence.
it's been discussed in the ridgidforums and others....the cutting performance and the rest.

It's one of the most popular saws out there along with it's close sibling the TS3650.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
Marlin1975
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

Rigid TS3660 link

it's been discussed in the ridgidforums and others....the cutting performance and the rest.

It's one of the most popular saws out there along with it's close sibling the TS3650.
I have read them and yes for a basic cutter it will work fine. But if you want to cut some 8/4 wenge etc... then no it is not up to task.
Many owners that talk about it even admit it is not good for cutting real hard and thick stock and/or they have tripped their breaker more then once.

so not a bad saw but its power is lower then a basic/good wood working saw.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:

I have read them and yes for a basic cutter it will work fine. But if you want to cut some 8/4 wenge etc... then no it is not up to task.
Many owners that talk about it even admit it is not good for cutting real hard and thick stock and/or they have tripped their breaker more then once.

Probably 1) with the OEM blade and 2) with a 15 amp circuit.

Saw calls for 20amps at 120V, 15 amps at 220v, I know there are alot talking about cutting hard maple 8/4 with the WWII blade and this saw works just fine.

Out of any of the other in the sub 3HP range, the power is comparable...if you need a $1000+ 3hp saw then that is a whole different need. It's like saying an 8800GTX really can't play games well and you need a $700 video card to do so.

It's actually overkill for a good/basic saw. If you are a professional then that is different.

I don't know where you got your info, but it's really opposite from the experience those on wood working forums have had.

We are talking home owners here and for that need this saw ESPECIALLY for the price is a no-brainer. If one can float another $250 or so then the R4511 is a great saw.

What saw would you recommend sub-$1000 that is as well recieved?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Marlin1975
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

Probably 1) with the OEM blade and 2) with a 15 amp circuit.

Saw calls for 20amps at 120V, 15 amps at 220v, I know there are alot talking about cutting hard maple 8/4 with the WWII blade and this saw works just fine.

Out of any of the other in the sub 3HP range, the power is comparable...if you need a $1000+ 3hp saw then that is a whole different need. It's like saying an 8800GTX really can't play games well and you need a $700 video card to do so.

It's actually overkill for a good/basic saw. If you are a professional then that is different.

I don't know where you got your info, but it's really opposite from the experience those on wood working forums have had.

We are talking home owners here and for that need this saw ESPECIALLY for the price is a no-brainer. If one can float another $250 or so then the R4511 is a great saw.

What saw would you recommend sub-$1000 that is as well recieved?

Sorry but you don't seem to know this saw well since you don't know the power numbers.

It uses 13amps at 120volt and 6.5amps at 240volt. That is NOT a 1 1/2 HP motor and is a weak link for this saw.
I have used this saw before and the motor will bog down real easy when cutting good hardwood. My delta does not have this problem and is also rated at 1 1/2hp.

Also many have had issues with blade aligment.

Like I said before this is not a bad saw but has a weak point and that is the motor and some aligment issues. I looked at this saw before getting my delta and unifence.

Now if you can get one for $399 (maybe even with another 10% off coupon) then it be a great saw fro a home/hobby/diy person.

"The 1.5hp induction motor draws 13 amps according to the name plate or 6.5 amps if wired for 220 volt operation. If you are in the habit of ripping 10 foot long 2 inch thick Hard Maple slabs, you would find the saw underpowered."

Review.

This is my Delta

I did not pay that but it looks just like this. I paid $500 for the saw and fence after discounts from Lowes.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Sorry but you don't seem to know this saw well since you don't know the power numbers.

It uses 13amps at 120volt and 6.5amps at 240volt. That is NOT a 1 1/2 HP motor and is a weak link for this saw.

I have used this saw before and the motor will bog down real easy when cutting good hardwood. My delta does not have this problem and is also rated at 1 1/2hp.
You are simply spouting advocacy now. The manual is online at ridgid, I suggest you READ it. The CIRCUIT needs to be on a 20amp 120volt or 15 amp 240volt run. This is a big problem....most are putting it on a 15amp circuit. Also the stock Ridgid has a REALLY crappy blade and is why many have issues esp on big rips. This saw is often compared to yours as equivalent...The circuit requirements are the same.

searching delta 36-979 will bring up more hits....the saw bottom ends are the same for yours and also the 980. One can even search for Delta 36-979 vs TS3660 or TS3650 and find quite a bit on these two popular saws. At $399 for the Ridgid almost any workworker would say chose it over the Delta at $500+. If you are getting upgrades with a delta at a lower price then the Delta would be a better value. It's not going to perform differently.

The problem is without knowing the power factor or efficiency the true HP can't be known.

Quote:
Also many have had issues with blade aligment.
user error...unless you are talking about TS3650's. It's definitely not a common trend, almost all saws have people complaining about alignment problems that are usually based on improper setup.

Quote:
"The 1.5hp induction motor draws 13 amps according to the name plate or 6.5 amps if wired for 220 volt operation. If you are in the habit of ripping 10 foot long 2 inch thick Hard Maple slabs, you would find the saw underpowered."

Review.
Why stop quoting there:
"However, the motor size is typical of this class of saw and has plenty of power for most operations. "

Again your saw even would be considered under powered for 2"+ ripping of hardwoods, that's is not a common household duty...however; it's best served on 3HP cabinet models...

Your saw also is about 70lbs lighter than the Ridgid...that's quite a bit.

I really don't know what you are trying to accomplish. If you can find a Delta contractors saw at the same price point it would be an equally hot deal. Despite what you paid for yours, it's a $850 saw...that is more than DOUBLE..the 979 is even nearly $100 more and is a stripped down version.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Marlin1975
Lifer

Geeze so sorry for insulting your little saw, but everything I posted is fact. I have used this saw and many others from my old BT3100 to a 3Ph 5hp Cab saw. I know tools very well and as I said this makes a decent DIY/Home saw. It would not hold up very well to the strains of a solid woodworker that does large pieces. I looked at this saw and could see that.

1. The blade alignment issue is not user error. It has even been brought up in that review I posted. There is an issue with the arbor being cut wrong. Rigid even admits it and says if you do get one to send it in for repair/replacement. It is that common. But the average person that buys this does not adjust it down to as low as a good woodworker would. So they will probably never know there is a problem.
2. It can recommend an amp rating of 100 if it likes. It still does not change the fact the motor is weaker than most other contractor saws. 13amps at 120v is NOT 1 Ż HP. 15amps (TRUE 1 Ż Motor) is the minimum IMO for cutting most solid hard woods with a thin kerf blade. Yes this 13amp saw will cut really solid hardwoods but will struggle and either have tear out and/or burn the wood.
So instead of posting what you think you know, just don?t. Thanks
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
alkemyst
No Lifer

Quote:
Geeze so sorry for insulting your little saw, but everything I posted is fact. I have used this saw and many others from my old BT3100 to a 3Ph 5hp Cab saw. I know tools very well and as I said this makes a decent DIY/Home saw. It would not hold up very well to the strains of a solid woodworker that does large pieces. I looked at this saw and could see that.

1. The blade alignment issue is not user error. It has even been brought up in that review I posted. There is an issue with the arbor being cut wrong. Rigid even admits it and says if you do get one to send it in for repair/replacement. It is that common. But the average person that buys this does not adjust it down to as low as a good woodworker would. So they will probably never know there is a problem.
2. It can recommend an amp rating of 100 if it likes. It still does not change the fact the motor is weaker than most other contractor saws. 13amps at 120v is NOT 1 Ż HP. 15amps (TRUE 1 Ż Motor) is the minimum IMO for cutting most solid hard woods with a thin kerf blade. Yes this 13amp saw will cut really solid hardwoods but will struggle and either have tear out and/or burn the wood.
So instead of posting what you think you know, just don?t. Thanks
*sigh* the arbor was addressed way before the TS3660 came out...there are no TS3650's being sold with that bad one either. IT'S BEEN FUCKING YEARS! I had mentioned that above, but you insist that your equivalent Delta is better.

Without power factor and effeciency you cannot determine the true horsepower of an electrical motor. Again *ANY* power issue this Ridgid has, your Delta would too.

Ask on any non-Delta wood working forum.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
allisolm
Administrator
Elite Member

Okay. I think we've got both your opinions on this saw. When you start criticizing each other instead of the saw, it is enough. End it.

Moderator allisolm
allisolm is offline   Reply With Quote