· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Default How much space is needed for a cow or two?

The wife and I are looking at buying a new home in the next year or so. We don't want to be in a subdivision, we're looking at buying a place that has some land and is out in the country a bit. We were looking around 5-20 acres. We're not in 'buy' mode yet, but just looking and making decisions as well as getting our current home ready for sale.

So, I was thinking, if I had 20 acres, is there any reason I couldn't have a cow or two? I know I'd need to provide food (grain, hay, whatever they eat) and do some research on exactly what is involved. I figured I could buy a couple calves and let them grow. When the time was right, I'd slaughter and butcher my cows. I like the idea of knowing exactly what my beef was fed, know where it's been. Then I can enjoy some ribeyes that I rasied from a calf.

I think the biggest problem would be their waste. I assume they poop a lot. I'd need enough space that they don't have to live in their own filth, etc. I figured they'd pretty well eat any grass, so I'd provide grain/food for them. I don't suppose anyone here raises cattle or is in the industry and could tell me if this is feasible. Thanks!
SlowSpyder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
TwiceOver
Lifer

Fully butchered? You'd probably need a couple deep freezers.

I.T. Technician n. The only person under the boss' desk not looking for a raise.
TwiceOver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Specop 007
Diamond Member

The more feed you buy the less free range you need. The bigger the cows the more land or more feed you will need to buy. Not only that the land ideally should be pasture already.

If memory serves I believe the average is around 5-10 acres of pasture per cow. I would advise checking with your local ag office, or spending some time at the sale barns and making some friends.
Specop 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Anubis
No Lifer

send a PM to Dr Pizza, i know he does not have Cows but he shoudl be able to answer this question better then anyone
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yea, I know it'd be a lot of meat, I would certainly have to have a lot of cold storage. A lot of the places we look at had pole barns, I figured I could put freezers in there.

The AG office, I assume I can just look them up for my state. I don't know much about this yet, but if I'm not selling the beef I figure there'd be no licensing or anything like that. But I'd probably need to talk to the AG office/authorities to iron that stuff out.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
sdifox
No Lifer

it's a matter of municipal code. You may not be able to keep livestocks. Check that first.
http://primaryaccounting.ca
sdifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
lokiju
Lifer

Ask Dr. Pizza.

He raises animals.
PSN: l0k1ju
Come play some MW3! Just note ATOT in invite so I don't ignore.
lokiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Drakkon
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sdifox
it's a matter of municipal code. You may not be able to keep livestocks. Check that first.
yep need to check on this - my uncle owns a plot of land in CA where he can have horses, goats, chickens, llamas and alpacas even. But NO cattle or pigs due to the smell.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Specop 007
Diamond Member

You can also can and dry meat, so you dont need to freeze all of it. You may want to invest in a pressure cooker along with the cows.
Specop 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
MoPHo
Platinum Member

Location: A magical world where everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies.

Veal only takes a stall and a lot of food...

MoPHo for Villiage Idiot/Court Jester.

Hey, cutie.
MoPHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sdifox
Yea, I'm sure that I'd have to look into that. I don't know how all of that works, if I have to pay a tax to raise livestock, or if because I don't intend to sell it I don't need to do much of anything... obviously that's something that will be different from city to city, county to county, state to state, etc.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
Dumac
Diamond Member

What, you and your wife want a steady supply of shrooms?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
DeadByDawn
Platinum Member

It all depends on how much hay you want to have to feed in the winter. My brother in law has about 10 cows on 20 acres, but he has to hay them in the winter.

I think if you had only two cows, and rotated your pasture you might not have to hay them very much at all on 20 acres.

Also depends on where you live too.

Mod
DeadByDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Brigandier
Diamond Member

My mom raises cows and she just has like a thirty yard square set up for their pasture. She feeds them hay and grains and in the summer moves them to a larger pasture.
Brigandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Brigandier
My mom raises cows and she just has like a thirty yard square set up for their pasture. She feeds them hay and grains and in the summer moves them to a larger pasture.
Ah excellent. That's good to know. I figured as long as they have food and don't have to live in their waste a few acres would probably be fine.

What does your mom do with the cows? Does she sell them to farmers or something? Just curious.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Brigandier
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Quote:
Originally posted by: Brigandier
Ah excellent. That's good to know. I figured as long as they have food and don't have to live in their waste a few acres would probably be fine.

What does your mom do with the cows? Does she sell them to farmers or something? Just curious.
Right now she's raising two for beef and is raising one for milk. She's also taking care of a fw other cows for family members.
Brigandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
SarcasticDwarf
Diamond Member

It depends entirely on the condition of the pasture. 15-20 acres is more than enough room for a number of cattle as long as they are only rarely grazing. Again, depends entirely on local conditions. The state ag office can give you the formula used locally.
SarcasticDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
mchammer
Diamond Member

Probably about radiator size give or take.

AnandTech Moderator
mchammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: mchammer
Probably about radiator size give or take.
I see what you did there. I look forward to cutting out alternator sized pieces of meat.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
sao123
Lifer

Quote:
The wife and I are looking at buying a new home in the next year or so. We don't want to be in a subdivision, we're looking at buying a place that has some land and is out in the country a bit. We were looking around 5-20 acres. We're not in 'buy' mode yet, but just looking and making decisions as well as getting our current home ready for sale.

So, I was thinking, if I had 20 acres, is there any reason I couldn't have a cow or two? I know I'd need to provide food (grain, hay, whatever they eat) and do some research on exactly what is involved. I figured I could buy a couple calves and let them grow. When the time was right, I'd slaughter and butcher my cows. I like the idea of knowing exactly what my beef was fed, know where it's been. Then I can enjoy some ribeyes that I rasied from a calf.

I think the biggest problem would be their waste. I assume they poop a lot. I'd need enough space that they don't have to live in their own filth, etc. I figured they'd pretty well eat any grass, so I'd provide grain/food for them. I don't suppose anyone here raises cattle or is in the industry and could tell me if this is feasible. Thanks!
I believe the numbri read recently was 10-14 acres per cow, unsupplemented.

Originally posted by: Dank69
It's (expletive deleted) easy. Throw seeds on the ground. Plants sprout. Pick hamburgers. Repeat.
sao123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #21
Insomniator
Diamond Member

How much $$ in beef does a cow have? I guess feeding it hay is cheap?
Insomniator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
AreaCode707
Lifer

Hay prices are anywhere from 4 to 15 a bale right now, depending on where you live and what kind of hay you're feeding.

20 acres with a lean to shelter is more than enough for two cows. You will need to supplement feed, both with hay and probably also with grain. Factor in vet visits in the cost; you want to be eating healthy cow.

Cows will live in their own waste no matter what you do, fyi. They're pretty messy and smelly animals unless you do a lot of clean up and washing, in which case you need to halter train them and socialize them pretty well.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
Hay prices are anywhere from 4 to 15 a bale right now, depending on where you live and what kind of hay you're feeding.

20 acres with a lean to shelter is more than enough for two cows. You will need to supplement feed, both with hay and probably also with grain. Factor in vet visits in the cost; you want to be eating healthy cow.

Cows will live in their own waste no matter what you do, fyi. They're pretty messy and smelly animals unless you do a lot of clean up and washing, in which case you need to halter train them and socialize them pretty well.
Excellent... thanks for that info.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #24
waggy
No Lifer

Quote:

with 20 acres he can do his on hay. A friend of ours has 2 horses and thinking of getting cows for slaughter. but right now she has 5 acres of hay. They have a deal with a farmer down the road. he has the machinery and will come do everything for free hay. they get 3 harvest a year. first one my friend gets (last them a year) the farmer gets the 2nd and they sell the 3rd and split it.

They are thinking of getting a few cows. We are going to split the cost and meat.

1 cow for a family is a hell of a lot but between 2 or 3 its fine. also it cut down the cost.

hell spyder if you lived close to me i would go in it with you (well unless oure friends do it heh()
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
AreaCode707
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent... thanks for that info.
If you do mom cow + baby cow for eating you can have milk too. My husband and I intend to do goats (mini-manchas) in the somewhat near future, and he'd like small cow like a mini-jersey or a dexter. Have you looked into what breed you want?

Oh, and do you have kids? Cows make great 4H projects.