3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
thilanliyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
novasatori
Diamond Member

Default Intel GPU in the PS4?

Quote:
TechRadar spoke with a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe rep who told us in no uncertain terms, "it's nonsense, and is quite possibly the best work of fiction I've read, since Lord of the Rings."
http://www.techradar.com/news/...-in-ps4-rumours-525563
novasatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
nosfe

on the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that sony denied rumors that turned out to be true
nosfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
thilanliyan
Diamond Member

Despite being denied by Sony, I can see this actually making sense. Intel has deep pockets (and would probably pay Sony handsomely for the CPU/GPU rights to PS4) and if they want to get a foothold in the GPU business a console is not a bad way to go.
3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Bateluer
Lifer

Makes sense to me. Sony seems to live in a world of denial with the PS3.
Bateluer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
nosfe

what i'm hoping for is that the consoles will use x86 style CPU's with GPU's that more closely resemble what we have in desktops so that porting games back and forth would be extremely easy so instead of spending money on porting the code they'll spend the money to make sure that the console games ported to the PC will have proper menus/controls/etc
Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
IlllI
Diamond Member

Larrabee reminds me of the cell processor they use

IlllI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
BFG10K
Lifer

I really can't see Sony committing to such untried technology.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Who says it's untried? End-consumers like you and me, sure we haven't tried it. But if Sony really went with Larrabee then you can bet they've already tried it in-house and are pleased enough with the preliminary results.

Quote:
Originally posted by: thilan29
Despite being denied by Sony, I can see this actually making sense.
When I read TheINQ link last night I though "more of groo's crazy anti-Nvidia rants"...but once Sony went out of their way to deny the rumor, well nothing could have confirmed it any more so. Sony denying a rumor is a 100% guarantee it is the truth.

Have people learned nothing about Sony these past 3 yrs? They are nearly as consistent as AMD when it comes to denying rumors that are actually true.
Idontcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
nosfe

Quote:
so how "tried" were the Xenon or the Cell?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Wreckage
Banned

Even though this is clearly more made up Inq delusions, it probably belongs in the console section.
Wreckage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #12
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Quote:
Who says it's untried? End-consumers like you and me, sure we haven't tried it. But if Sony really went with Larrabee then you can bet they've already tried it in-house and are pleased enough with the preliminary results.

Quote:
Originally posted by: thilan29
Despite being denied by Sony, I can see this actually making sense.
When I read TheINQ link last night I though "more of groo's crazy anti-Nvidia rants"...but once Sony went out of their way to deny the rumor, well nothing could have confirmed it any more so. Sony denying a rumor is a 100% guarantee it is the truth.

Have people learned nothing about Sony these past 3 yrs? They are nearly as consistent as AMD when it comes to denying rumors that are actually true.
Yea, we'll see how this turns out. I'm curious to see if The Inq gets this right or not. While their stories are often not 100% correct, they are often pointed in the right direction so to speak.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
thilanliyan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Even though this is clearly more made up Inq delusions, it probably belongs in the console section.
It has to do with a technical GPU aspect of the console though. I'm fairly certain I've seen similar threads about Xenon or RSX before in this forum.
3x7950 3gb (mining)
Corsair HX1050 Gold
Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Barfo
Lifer

Quote:
It seems Nvidia has proverbially bent Sony over like they did MS on the XBox, and are not really welcome there any more.
Anyone know what is this about?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/21/7yjuny7a.jpg
Barfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
Wreckage
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: barfo
Quote:
It seems Nvidia has proverbially bent Sony over like they did MS on the XBox, and are not really welcome there any more.
Charlie likes to write fiction and pass it off as fact.
Wreckage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Astrallite
Diamond Member

This would actually be kind of cool really since you have to consider that all the flagship games are console games anyway and the AAA titles that were PC-exclusive years ago are all multiplatform.

Consoles can actually drive multithreading. If it was just the PC industry you'd probably only see dual-threaded games for an eternity whereas a lot of the console ports these days actually take advantage of quads.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #17
taltamir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: nosfe
what i'm hoping for is that the consoles will use x86 style CPU's with GPU's that more closely resemble what we have in desktops so that porting games back and forth would be extremely easy so instead of spending money on porting the code they'll spend the money to make sure that the console games ported to the PC will have proper menus/controls/etc
They wont, they will just pocket the extra money and call it a day.
Keep in mind that if they license the unreal engine it already works on both PCs and consoles, so there is nothing really to port, only thing to do is change the menus, which they always skimp on.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not superman!
The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong.
taltamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Lonyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: barfo
Quote:
In 2002, Microsoft and NVIDIA entered arbitration over a dispute on the pricing of NVIDIA's chips for the Xbox.[11] NVIDIA's filing with the SEC indicated that Microsoft was seeking a US$13 million discount on shipments for NVIDIA's fiscal year 2002. Additionally, Microsoft alleged violations of the agreement the two companies entered, sought reduced chipset pricing, and sought to ensure that NVIDIA fulfill Microsoft's chipset orders without limits on quantity. The matter was settled on February 6, 2003, and no terms of the settlement were released.[12]

http://www.eetimes.com/news/se...ml;?articleID=10803514
http://www.eetimes.com/news/la...tml?articleID=10800974
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
SickBeast
Lifer

IMO this is very bad news for Sony and the PS4.

Larabee is unproven technology, and IMO it will be inferior to what AMD and NV have.

Sony used to make good consoles. The PS and PS2 were both fantasic, and IIRC, they created their own custom "emotion engine" graphics components.

AMD seems to make the best console GPUs ATM. Xbox3 FTW. :beer:
Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
DaveSimmons
Elite Member

It's a bad idea to switch from Cell + nvidia.

If they follow Nintendo's lead and just duct-tape 2 PS3s together (add cores to Cell and a newer nvidia chip) then they start the PS4's life with a mature set of tools, while publishers and studios have experience, engines and code libraries working and tested.

Duct-taping also allows getting the PS3 version of titles "for free" when you build the PS4 version: just re-complile with diferent build flags, such as rendering at 640p instead of the 1080p the PS4 will finally allow.
DaveSimmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
chizow
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: nosfe
so how "tried" were the Xenon or the Cell?
They're actually both based on existing RISC processors, which have always been better than their general-purpose long instruction set x86 counterparts for gaming consoles.

I'd say the only way this has any chance of being true is if Intel buys ATI from AMD in its final death throes. Latest news out of Intel for Larrabee have not been good, and even worst for their integrated GPU/CPU.
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC (680 PCB) SLI | Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Vision LCD | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | HyperX 3x120GB SSD RAID 0 | WD Black 2x1.5TB RAID 0 | Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver | Polk Audio RM6880 7.1| LG Blu-Ray | Auzen X-Fi HT HD | Logitech G110/G700/G27/G930 | Cooler Master HAF X | Antec TPQ 1200W
chizow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #22
taltamir
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SickBeast

Larabee is unproven technology, and IMO it will be inferior to what AMD and NV have.

Sony used to make good consoles. The PS and PS2 were both fantasic, and IIRC, they created their own custom "emotion engine" graphics components.

I can't possibly imagine HOW. The sony is currently running a cell processor, where there is 1 CPU like core and 8 larabee like cores... replacing it with something capable of x86 code means it has the same structure only much easier to program for.

Besides, every single new technology ever made is by definition untested when it is first made, by the time it is thoroughly tested it is obsolete. This is more of a "does intel have the experience and knowledge to actually BUILD a GPU or are they just taking on a contract that they cannot fulfill".
The answer is most likely:
1. if they cannot fulfill it sony will benefit greatly from the "unable to fulfill" clause of the contract
2. they most likely can fulfill it because they have the money to hire competent engineers, programmers, etc who can create it...

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not superman!
The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong.
taltamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #23
SickBeast
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: taltamir
Quote:
Originally posted by: SickBeast

I can't possibly imagine HOW. The sony is currently running a cell processor, where there is 1 CPU like core and 8 larabee like cores... replacing it with something capable of x86 code means it has the same structure only much easier to program for.

Besides, every single new technology ever made is by definition untested when it is first made, by the time it is thoroughly tested it is obsolete. This is more of a "does intel have the experience and knowledge to actually BUILD a GPU or are they just taking on a contract that they cannot fulfill".
The answer is most likely:
1. if they cannot fulfill it sony will benefit greatly from the "unable to fulfill" clause of the contract
2. they most likely can fulfill it because they have the money to hire competent engineers, programmers, etc who can create it...
I guess I just fail to see how a bunch of puny Atom-like CPUs can somehow emulate a GPU and run somewhat fast. I just don't like the direction intel is going with; Larabee does not look to be a good product to me. It's too radical. I don't know why Sony keeps going with radical designs lately.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #24
tcsenter
Lifer

Cell is one of the best things going for PS3. The stream and distributed computing clients that PS3 is being used to reach top FLOP performance rankings hardly touch the GPU except for real-time visualization. They're running almost entirely on PPC + Cell.
tcsenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #25
mmnno

Quote:
As absurd as this statement sounds, you have to think Sony will go down a more conservative route this time around. Even though the PS3 wasn't a success, do they really want another radical architecture change in this market? Unless making games for it is as easy as making toast, they're going to stick with the known product for the PS4.
mmnno is offline   Reply With Quote