· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
zoiks
Lifer

Default Got hit on the passenger side by another car.

I was on the way to the exit of a Trader Joe's parking lot and was going like 10mph. The other driver was coming out of a turnoff to the parking spaces and turned right..that is right into me. She didn't look to her left (or straight for that matter) and plowed right into me. Her bumper on the left side hit my passenger door and scraped/dented it. It also caused a dent in the fender and she ended up hitting the passenger side front wheel. I saw her coming but and instinctively I turned left so my wheel was turned when she hit me so I guess I escaped any internal damage to the axle or other parts.
I called my insurance and they got all the info. I expect my car will be in the shop for a few days. Does an accident like this (albeit small) affect the value of the car? The reason I ask is that I was planning to sell this really soon.
The car is a 2005 Mazda6.

Update Feb 17th- An update and an observation. This auto body business is such a racket. For 2 scrapes and a small bump on the door, they've billed the insurance company for over 4.5k.

They called me that my car was ready and that I can come down at 2-3pm to pick it up. I went down after dropping off my rental and sure enough the car looks good. I check and find that the Kenwood double-din GPS/Blutooth/Stereo that I had installed doesn't power on. Checked the fuses and one was blown. Replaced the fuse and the sucker still doesn't power on. Incidentally, we didn't know which fuse we were replacing since the shop lost the fuse cover and the fuse diagram is normally on the back side of the cover. Now they're playing their innocence saying that they didn't touch the electricals in my car and only worked on the body. But wtf, my car battery is drained and has no juice and fuses are blown so obviously these fuckers did something. I spent friggin over 2k installing my gps/stereo and it just makes me fume that they can charge so much for their services yet they still fuck things up. They did give me a rental car while they send my car to an audio shop.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Marlin1975
Lifer

ANY accident can affect the value. What state are you in? I know some report ALL accidnet to places like carfax.

Ask yourself. Would pay full value knowing a car had an accident that required body work and paint?
Quote:
Originally posted by: spidey07
No muslims, no athiests, no gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey07 View Post
I'm proud to be a racist now. VERY proud.
Marlin1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
zoiks
Lifer

I live in California. Yeah. I was afraid of that since I'm sure this'll get reported to CarFax.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
CRXican
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: zoiks
I live in California. Yeah. I was afraid of that since I'm sure this'll get reported to CarFax.
Carfax is a joke. I can tell you the body shop won't report it and I'm farily certain the insurance companies don't report it to Carfax.

If you have to report it to the DMV then it might end up on Carfax.

:edt:

Also, it will likely take a while if they even pick up on it. Sell it shortly after the repair and it won't even be on the Carfax.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
halik
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: CRXican
Quote:
Carfax is a joke. I can tell you the body shop won't report it and I'm farily certain the insurance companies don't report it to Carfax.

Also, it will likely take a while if they even pick up on it. Sell it shortly after the repair and it won't even be on the Carfax.
Carfax or not, it effects the resale value - some people and virtually all dealers can spot paint work w/o problems and they will lower the amount they offer.
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
zoiks
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: halik
Quote:
Quote:

Carfax or not, it effects the resale value - some people and virtually all dealers can spot paint work w/o problems and they will lower the amount they offer.
I guess it depends. I sold my Infiniti that I had some touch ups done to cover up some scratches some moron left on my car while it was parked.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
CRXican
Diamond Member

Not a lot of "normal" people can spot repaired collison damage. The color of the car will play a big part in how the paint compares between panels.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
zoiks
Lifer

An update and an observation. This auto body business is such a racket. For 2 scrapes and a small bump on the door, they've billed the insurance company for over 4.5k.

They called me that my car was ready and that I can come down at 2-3pm to pick it up. I went down after dropping off my rental and sure enough the car looks good. I check and find that the Kenwood double-din GPS/Blutooth/Stereo that I had installed doesn't power on. Checked the fuses and one was blown. Replaced the fuse and the sucker still doesn't power on. Incidentally, we didn't know which fuse we were replacing since the shop lost the fuse cover and the fuse diagram is normally on the back side of the cover. Now they're playing their innocence saying that they didn't touch the electricals in my car and only worked on the body. But wtf, my car battery is drained and has no juice and fuses are blown so obviously these fuckers did something. I spent friggin over 2k installing my gps/stereo and it just makes me fume that they can charge so much for their services yet they still fuck things up. They did give me a rental car while they send my car to an audio shop.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Hyperlite
Diamond Member

Wow that sucks. you didn't get an estimate first? did your insurance pick the shop or something?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
zoiks
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hyperlite
Wow that sucks. you didn't get an estimate first? did your insurance pick the shop or something?
No. I picked the shop since the ones selected by Esurance were even more shadier with poor reviews online. I picked one with 5 star reviews that was close to me. They dealt with Esurance directly with the estimates.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
Gillbot
Lifer

Refuse delivery till they make it right.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Zenmervolt
Supermoderator
The Garage
Elite member

If it worked when you dropped it off, they have to have it working when you pick it up. Also, they don't get to just lose the fusebox cover, they have to replace that too.

ZV

TANSTAAFL
Zenmervolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Quote:

Let me get this straight, he has a minor collision in a parking lot and you're recommending he sell the car right away just so that it won't show up on a Carfax report?

My car has been in two minor collisions, both on the front and rear doors on the driver's side of the car. The second one they replaced both door skins. I couldn't possibly care less. The car is paid for, it looks good and if someone asks me if it has ever been in an accident I'll tell them exactly what happened. Two minor bumps in a parking lot, both left side doors were repainted on two different occasions. Not bad for a 6 year old car with 74,000 miles on it.

"I felt so awesome and important, even though I was just a homeschooled shut-in loser. These days I have a much higher post count." -Hamburgerboy
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote