Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #151
tk149
Diamond Member

Default Dell 2209WA review

Quote:
Originally posted by: IlllI
Quote:
Originally posted by: tk149
With a coupon, I can get this monitor for $206.04 shipped including tax. I use it primarily for gaming, and would be switching over from a bubble 19" CRT. Worth it?

lol read the reviews, and comments by people in here and hardforum and you'll have your answer.
Well, I was just wondering if anything better had come out since this thread originated a few months ago. Maybe a 24" version?

(\__/)
(='.'=) = Bunny loves pancakes!
(")_(")
tk149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #152
IlllI
Diamond Member

Quote:

Well, I was just wondering if anything better had come out since this thread originated a few months ago. Maybe a 24" version?

if there is, you wont find it for $206 shipped
IlllI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #153
tk149
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: IlllI
Quote:

if there is, you wont find it for $206 shipped
Hmm...good point. Now, can I justify the cost to myself? I don't really "need" it. It'd basically be just a new tech toy. A new toy that Starcraft 2 would look AWESOME on! ARGH! Decisions, decisions...

(\__/)
(='.'=) = Bunny loves pancakes!
(")_(")
tk149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #154
Cookie Monster
Diamond Member

How is the text reproduction on the Dell 2209W monitors?
Intel i5 2500K@4.5GHz/1.36V//Corsair H80 || Asus P8Z68-V PRO || G.Skill RipJaws 2x4GB@DDR3-2133 || EVGA GTX680 SC@1200/6500MHz || 2xSamsung 840 250GB || 2xWD Green 1TB || Seasonic X-560 || Asus Xonar Essence STX || Silverstone FT02 LE || 2xDell U2412M || Windows 7 Pro x64 || Logitech M950 || Sennheiser HD595 || Audioengine A2
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #155
yacoub
Golden Member

Since I already have a 20" 1680x1050 IPS display, I have no real reason to get the 2209WA, but I would have a reason to get a 23-24" IPS display at 1920x1200/1080. I'll hold off for that, assuming it has the same low input latency of the 2209WA.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #156
tszyn

Hi,

The text clarity is very good, better than any (S-)PVA panel.

Generally, the 2209WA has good color reproduction, good text clarity and good response times. Its main weaknesses are: mediocre black level (compared with good (S-)PVA panels), angle-dependent "white glow" in dark areas (unless you sit > 1 meters from the screen). There are some slight backlight uniformity issues, visible hue shift from left to right in uniform areas, the anti-glare coating could be better, the power supply could be quieter. The backlight is stupidly bright, which is a problem if you like working in a dimly lit room (you have to work at brightness 0 and low contrast, which makes colors duller).

Basically, a good choice for office/text/web design/coding work, satisfactory for photo editing, not so much for movies and gaming due to problems displaying dark scenes.

For more details, please take a look at my detailed review:

Review of Dell 2209WA

Best,

Tomasz
tszyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #157
GTaudiophile
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: mg2plus
Here is a review of Dell 2209WA (by me). Hope it helps.

Review of Dell 2209WA at LCDreviewZ
I don't find that to be a really good review.

What happens if you try to play a Blu-Ray movie on this screen? Will it play? Will it look good? (Since it can't do 1080P.)

GTaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #158
GTaudiophile
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: tszyn
Hi,

The text clarity is very good, better than any (S-)PVA panel.

Generally, the 2209WA has good color reproduction, good text clarity and good response times. Its main weaknesses are: mediocre black level (compared with good (S-)PVA panels), angle-dependent "white glow" in dark areas (unless you sit > 1 meters from the screen). There are some slight backlight uniformity issues, visible hue shift from left to right in uniform areas, the anti-glare coating could be better, the power supply could be quieter. The backlight is stupidly bright, which is a problem if you like working in a dimly lit room (you have to work at brightness 0 and low contrast, which makes colors duller).

Basically, a good choice for office/text/web design/coding work, satisfactory for photo editing, not so much for movies and gaming due to problems displaying dark scenes.

For more details, please take a look at my detailed review:

Review of Dell 2209WA

Best,

Tomasz
Also a so-so review in my opinion.

GTaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #159
Wazzap

How is this monitor for gaming, those who have it?
Wazzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #160
genegold

The size and other info can be found at https://support.dell.com/suppo...2209WA/en/ug/index.htm. Color is all black except for the well-recessed, variable-height stand. Assembly is very easy.

Mine came today and so far it's among the worst monitors I've come across. Bright as could be with brightness set at 0 and contrast at 74. Downloaded movies look washed out and everything else is just not easily readable (MSI R4670 video card). I thought an IPS monitor would be a good replacement for my seven year old AG Neovo E-19A, which is beautiful in monitor design and screen color but failing a little, but so far this Dell is dreadful. Someone somewhere mentioned the difference between the ones assembled in China and Mexico in terms of brightness out of the box, and this is the latter. I spoke with tech support and they are sending me another before doing an outright return. It was strange, because the rep asked for the serial number on the back of the monitor and there isn't one; i.e., they never put a Dell model name/serial # label sticker on the thing; it's only on the box. It was also strange, because the rep wanted me to push the third button up and hold it (+), but nothing happened. So maybe I got a bad one, or maybe the calibration is very far off, or both. I'm not real knowledgeable there.
genegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #161
Farmer
Diamond Member

genegold:

Thanks for digging this up. Really? I purchased a 2209WA a few months ago, and, compared to my 4 year old Samsung 910T (VA panel), it is absolutely brilliant. I thought this was the best deal in 22"ers around at $200, esp. with such a robust stand. Not sure where mine was assembled.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #162
tdoran1

Quote:
Originally posted by: Farmer
genegold:

Thanks for digging this up. Really? I purchased a 2209WA a few months ago, and, compared to my 4 year old Samsung 910T (VA panel), it is absolutely brilliant. I thought this was the best deal in 22"ers around at $200, esp. with such a robust stand. Not sure where mine was assembled.
Been thinking about replacing my five-year old (I received it as a ?dealer demo? thus one of the first out) Samsung SyncMaster 910T for the last two years. I do a large percentage of my work ?at home? on this monitor, at least four hours daily.

My usage is almost 50% Microsoft Office, 30% Development Applications & Tools, and 20% Web Surfing. There are no entertainment or games installed or used. Some ?multimedia? capabilities need for development purposes, CBT?s, and remote conferencing.

Was thinking about the Dell 2209WA as a replacement, but the issues in the recent dual sourcing of the LG IPS panels (China and Mexico) and issues with those that are manufactured in Mexico.

Since the Samsung SyncMaster 910T is a PVA panel monitor, I was also considering Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP or Dell UltraSharp 2709W both of which are S-PVA panel monitors. I use a Samsung 275+ (pretty much the same as the Dell UltraSharp 2709W) in the office, and grown use to its ?bright? colors.

However, one or both of the Dell?s are to be ?refreshed? next month, the Dell UltraSharp 2410W will be an IPS panel monitor, and the Dell UltraSharp 2710W is still believed to be a S-PVA monitor.

I also thought about HP LP2475w, but the required ?color balancing?, seems like a ?pain?, and the Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP that is just too tight a fit.

I really do like the new LG W2220P, 22?, e-IPS panel, dual HDMI interfaces, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 5ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles, 1080p. I like the LG W2220P because of small tight ?0,247 mm x 0,247 mm? pixel pitch.

The problem is that the LG W2220P was not intended to be ?imported? in to the US by LG. I have been discussing both the LG W2420P / W2220P models for the last three weeks with David Suaviso, Jr. - Eastern Territory Sales Manager, Channel Sales - Business Solutions Division ? LG Electronics USA, Inc. as no firm decision has been made either way as to if the two model should be brought in to the US for sale.

So one of these days I will replace my Samsung SyncMaster 910T!!!

Tim
tdoran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #163
SilentRunning
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: genegold
The size and other info can be found at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2209WA/en/ug/index.htm">https://support.dell.com/su......WA/en/ug/index.htm</a>. Color is all black except for the well-recessed, variable-height stand. Assembly is very easy.

Mine came today and so far it's among the worst monitors I've come across. Bright as could be with brightness set at 0 and contrast at 74. Downloaded movies look washed out and everything else is just not easily readable (MSI R4670 video card). I thought an IPS monitor would be a good replacement for my seven year old AG Neovo E-19A, which is beautiful in monitor design and screen color but failing a little, but so far this Dell is dreadful. Someone somewhere mentioned the difference between the ones assembled in China and Mexico in terms of brightness out of the box, and this is the latter. I spoke with tech support and they are sending me another before doing an outright return. It was strange, because the rep asked for the serial number on the back of the monitor and there isn't one; i.e., they never put a Dell model name/serial # label sticker on the thing; it's only on the box. It was also strange, because the rep wanted me to push the third button up and hold it (+), but nothing happened. So maybe I got a bad one, or maybe the calibration is very far off, or both. I'm not real knowledgeable there.

On the left side just behind the USB ports there is a piece of plastic which pulls out and has the serial number facing the front. They couldn't have made it any more handy short of stamping it on the front of the monitor.

I won't bother clicking it, who knows what else is loading onto your computer from that site.
SilentRunning is offline   Reply With Quote