· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
QueHuong
Platinum Member

Default Replace Water Pump with Timing Belt?

How often does a water pump fail?

I have a 2004 Camry V6 3.0L at 109,000 miles. I'm replacing the timing belts on it, which will cost $300. The auto shops recommend replacing the water pump for an additional $200 since replacing the timing belts will give easy access to the pump. Should I do it? If water pumps dont' fail often, I would take the risk.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
bruceb
Diamond Member

All depends on where water pump is located. If as the shop says, it is easy to get while doing the timing belt, then it is worth the extra parts cost to save on the labor later on if the pump does fail. It would be akin to changing the timing belt without changing the belt tensioner. Cheaper to add the extra few dollars now and be sure of the repairs.
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
BW86
Lifer

Most people usually replace the water pump when replacing the timing belt. It's good insurance.

BW86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
LTC8K6
Lifer

Yes, this is one case where the suggestion is a good one and not an attempt to rob you.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Vetterin

Yes, have it changed since it's not a piece of cake to do on the V6. The price you were given would seem to be in the ballpark.
Vetterin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
halik
Lifer

It's only $300 for a timing belt job on a camry ? At that point it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle for me to DIY. Tell them you'll bring your own waterpump (should be cheap for a rebuilt one) and see how much they'll take off the $200
It seems like people want to bend reality any way they wish. Jobs are created by economic activity, and this economic activity happens because of self-made people of all races and colors that are motivated by greed. The sooner we understand it the better we are.
halik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
PlasmaBomb
Lifer

The water pump went on my sisters car mid November and kindly took the timing belt with it. She now has a new car
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
crosshairs
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: halik
Tell them you'll bring your own waterpump (should be cheap for a rebuilt one) and see how much they'll take off the $200

Bad idea IMO....put a new pump in it....its not worth the risk with a cheap rebuilt...
if you save $50.00 off the price of a new pump, and it fails..it takes your timing belt and possibly your engine with it...this is not the place to try and save money ..

Also if the pump you supply goes bad in 2 weeks, you pay again....let them supply the pump, you don't bring your own eggs to the diner do you?
crosshairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Cdubneeddeal
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: crosshairs
Quote:
Tell them you'll bring your own waterpump (should be cheap for a rebuilt one) and see how much they'll take off the $200

Bad idea IMO....put a new pump in it....its not worth the risk with a cheap rebuilt...
if you save $50.00 off the price of a new pump, and it fails..it takes your timing belt and possibly your engine with it...this is not the place to try and save money ..

Also if the pump you supply goes bad in 2 weeks, you pay again....let them supply the pump, you don't bring your own eggs to the diner do you?
I personally have never had a problem with a rebuilt pump. I just made sure that the propeller was metal not the cheaper plastic.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
akshatp
Diamond Member

Change the WP when changing the TB.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #11
oldsmoboat
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:

That and if you did bring your own pump, no way the mechanic would warranty it.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Bignate603
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Quote:
Quote:

That and if you did bring your own pump, no way the mechanic would warranty it.
Mine will warranty parts that I bring if it's from a brand he recommends. No name brand = no warranty.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: LTC8K6
Yes, this is one case where the suggestion is a good one and not an attempt to rob you.
Agreed. Kind of like replacing the throw out bearing when doing a clutch job on a car with manual transmission.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
thomsbrain
Lifer

I didn't replace the water pump the first time I changed the belt on my old 91 Accord.

That proved to be a costly mistake just 25,000 miles later.

Do the whole "shebang."
thomsbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #15
thecritic

The labor to do a timing belt on a Toyota 3.0L V6 is much less than a Honda V6. In addition, the Toyota V6 water pumps (unlike the ones in their 4-cylinder engines) have been very reliable. My friend's dad has over 300k on his original water pump in his Sienna. So, while I normally say that replacing the water pump is a must with a timing belt change, in this case I would probably skip it.
thecritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
thomsbrain
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: thecritic
The labor to do a timing belt on a Toyota 3.0L V6 is much less than a Honda V6. In addition, the Toyota V6 water pumps (unlike the ones in their 4-cylinder engines) have been very reliable. My friend's dad has over 300k on his original water pump in his Sienna. So, while I normally say that replacing the water pump is a must with a timing belt change, in this case I would probably skip it.
If it's comparatively cheap and a broken one would leave you stranded and possibly cause permanent damage to your engine, why would you NOT replace it on schedule?
thomsbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 PM   #17
thecritic

Quote:
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Quote:
Originally posted by: thecritic
If it's comparatively cheap and a broken one would leave you stranded and possibly cause permanent damage to your engine, why would you NOT replace it on schedule?
Mainly because it isn't a scheduled maintenance item, and also because you must draw the line between preventive maintenance and overkill.

We only started the practice of preemptively replacing water pumps around 100k when the imports required timing belt jobs at the same mileage. Previously, water pumps were only replaced when they failed.

My experience has been that water pumps usually last a minimum of 150,000 miles or 10-12 years. Most of the water pumps that I've replaced were well over 10 years old. If the OP's car was 8 years old and this was its first timing belt service, then I'd say do the water pump as well. But considering that the car is about 5 years old, I'd say skip it and wait.
thecritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
LTC8K6
Lifer

For $200 more, there is no conceivable reason not to do the water pump as well, imo.

Brainwashed, mentally unstable, and stupid Intel user, screwed by Intel and located directly under a chemtrail.

Don't be a moron! Buy AMD!
LTC8K6 is online now   Reply With Quote