· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Muse
Lifer

Default How long after exposure might you get a cold?

One group of relatives stayed home for the TG dinner but showed up Saturday for a reprise at my brother's house. I think all 3 of them (couple and a 1 year old) had some virus/cold or something on the evening befoe TG. Saturday evening I was about to dip my hand in a container for a snack and my niece ominously said "you should think twice about putting your hand in that. I ate from there." I said no more and desisted. This was in San Diego. That's 9 days from Monday (two days ago) when I started wondering if I was fighting something off. Last night it overcame me and today I've been running a low grade fever for the last several hours.

Did I likely catch this thing from my relatives? I haven't been sick for over a year. I guess I don't get exposed to a lot of germs, and I exercise caution in washing my hands.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Crono
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Muse
One group of relatives stayed home for the TG dinner but showed up Saturday for a reprise at my brother's house. I think all 3 of them (couple and a 1 year old) had some virus/cold or something on the evening befoe TG. Saturday evening I was about to dip my hand in a container for a snack and my niece ominously said "you should think twice about putting your hand in that. I ate from there." I said no more and desisted. This was in San Diego. That's 9 days from Monday (two days ago) when I started wondering if I was fighting something off. Last night it overcame me and today I've been running a low grade fever for the last several hours.

Did I likely catch this thing from my relatives? I haven't been sick for over a year. I guess I don't get exposed to a lot of germs, and I exercise caution in washing my hands.
Incubation time for colds is like few hours to a day or two until symptoms manifest at peak, flu is like 5 days. You probably contracted the sickness from elsewhere.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: Crono
Quote:
Originally posted by: Muse

Incubation time for colds is like few hours to a day or two until symptoms manifest at peak, flu is like 5 days. You probably contracted the sickness from elsewhere.
I might more likely have influenza based on the fever I had for around a day. It ranged from ~ normal to 100.2 or so, although my digital thermometer is +/- 0.2 F accuracy.

I think I've just turned the corner and life is worth living again. I hate getting sick!

I did have a flu shot back in October.

There's nothing like a cold/flu like this to fuck up your body clock. My body doesn't know time from anything. I've been sleeping in fits of 2 hours or so and waking up. I would just as soon sleep because it seems to help... when I can sleep.