· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #26
loki8481
Lifer

Default What happens if I fail to respond to a jury summon in CA?

I don't know anyone who's ever been arrested for skipping jury duty.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #27
manlymatt83
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
fpmitap
oh please, they would send him to jail, not prison. PMITA doesn't happen in Jail AFAIK.
manlymatt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #28
Rumpltzer
Diamond Member

The don't do anything at all.

I was in Santa Barbara going to school, and I had a language class that met every weekday. I got a summons and I called to explain that if I missed the class, there was no way to make it up. The lady on the phone said to me, "being a student doesn't exempt you from jury duty." I pointed out to her that it was easy for her to say because she wasn't the one who was the student.

She offered to put off my jury duty until spring break, but I had already bought a plane ticket to leave the country. I offered to go during the summer but the lady on the phone said they couldn't schedule more than 90 days into the future.

We were at a stand-off and the lady said to me, "You can either come now or you can come during your spring break. Those are your two choices." I pointed out to her that that wasn't true; I could just not come at all. She told me that it was a misdemeanor or something if I didn't show up. I told her to come get me and I hung up.

Clearly, they knew where I lived and I was there for another two years. No one ever came. I'm a freaking fugitive!! :Q
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 AM   #29
Locut0s
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Quote:
Originally posted by: Baked
Quote:
If it's not certified mail, you didn't receive it
They don't care about arresting you either. They'll mail you another one if you don't respond to the 1st one. If you don't respond to the 2nd summon, they'll send out the police to arrest your ass.

1st you have assholes who don't vote 'cause the issues don't affect them, then you have assholes who don't respond to jury summon 'cause it takes up their time. Maybe 911 dispatch should tell you to fuck off when you have an emergency. :roll:
Oh, I go. I just get thrown out very quickly when I start talking about jury nullification. The system is not designed to get smart and reasonable people on the jury, it's designed to take people who are easily molded by attorneys.
Well the system is designed to get random people on the jury. Can't do much if your average random person isn't the brightest.

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice - Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude

Main System: i7 970 OCed to 4.2 | Noctua D14 | Gigabyte UD3R | 18GB (3x2 G.Skill) (3x4 Corsair) | Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD | 2x2TB WD Green in RAID 1 | Gigabyte 5970 | LG Blu-Ray DVD combo | Corsair 800D | Corsair 850HX PSU | Dell 3007 WFP 30" LCD | Samsung T240HD

MAME Cab: i7 920 Stock | i7 970s stock HSF | Intel DX58SO | 4GB cheap Kingston | 500GB WD HD | EVGA 8800 GTS | Genaric DVD combo | Lian Li PCV1200 | 400W PSU | Sony 21in Trinitron CRT
Locut0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #30
JC86

my brother got a summons twice and ignored it twice (he was in asia both times) and nothing happened. I got mine and reported and basically spent a day in a waiting room before being questioned and released. While it is technically illegal and you're running the risk of getting fined for it, they don't seem to bother with trying to enforce every summons. My guess is that if they need 150 jurors for Weds, they'll send out 300 summons and assume half won't even show up.
That being said, I thought it was a great experience to see our legal process at work and you are doing your civic duty. . . . one day is not a lot to ask. Obviously, if you get selected, that is a totally different story but if you're selected, you get paid time off from work and you get a per diem of approximaly 10 bucks a day if i'm not mistaken.
JC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #31
illusion88
Lifer

Wow, I never realized your civic duty was so hard to actually do.

In CA you call a number between certain hours to find out if you have to come in that day or the next. I never had to go in once.
illusion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #32
dawp
Diamond Member

happened to my daughter after we moved from the Ft. Worth, TX area to Kansas City, Mo area. she could not go, no longer lived there and all she did was to contact them and that was that.

ASUS p8z77 v, i7 3770k, crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB, XFX HD7970 Black Edition
dawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #33
SearchMaster
Diamond Member

I suppose it depends on the presiding judge.

I live in GA, and have been summoned many times (probably 7-8 now). There was one judge who was apparently in a bad mood and he directed the Clerk of Courts to issue bench warrants for everyone that didn't show up. However, these were people who had filled out the interrogatory but didn't actually show up for court. If you didn't fill out the interrogatory, my guess is that they'll just send you another one within the next year.
SearchMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #34
geno
Lifer

Quote:
fpmitap
geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #35
Born2bwire
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: illusion88
Wow, I never realized your civic duty was so hard to actually do.

In CA you call a number between certain hours to find out if you have to come in that day or the next. I never had to go in once.
In Illinois, I had to go in and there I was assigned a number and filled out preliminary paperwork. After that, a few of us were told to report to courtrooms for selection and the rest were let go for the day. Each night we had to call in to see if we needed to report the following day, and so on for the rest of the week until we were told explicitly not to. I got assigned to a trial on the first day and it lasted two and a half days. I found the whole experience to be very rewarding and I think people should go through it to have an appreciation for the system that we have.
Born2bwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #36
Lumathix
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
They don't care about arresting you either. They'll mail you another one if you don't respond to the 1st one. If you don't respond to the 2nd summon, they'll send out the police to arrest your ass.

1st you have assholes who don't vote 'cause the issues don't affect them, then you have assholes who don't respond to jury summon 'cause it takes up their time. Maybe 911 dispatch should tell you to fuck off when you have an emergency. :roll:
I agree.

Oh, and OP is a douchebag, as are most of the people in this thread.

That is all.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue Edition | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel Core i7-3960X w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Dual EVGA GTX 680 SCs in SLI | Corsair Vengeance 2133 DDR3 24gigs | Corsair Force Series GT SATA III 240gig | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series 1000W | Nvidia Surround - 1ea VK278Q with 2ea VE278Q's
Lumathix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #37
BoomerD
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: SonicIce
Is it because of work? because your work is legally required to continue your pay while you're on the jury. if its a disability, they encourage everyone with disabilities to go. you can also call and reschedule if you want. i did it last year.

if you find a way to totally get out of it let me know! or do what homer simpsons said and say you're prejudice against all races
No, your workplace is NOT required to continue to pay you while you're on jury duty. Some places will do it to help encourage people to do their civic duty and not lose pay for that time, other places have it in negotiated in a union contract, but (at least in Kahleeforneeya) your employer is NOT required to pay you.
BoomerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #38
imported_Imp
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rumpltzer
The don't do anything at all.

I was in Santa Barbara going to school, and I had a language class that met every weekday. I got a summons and I called to explain that if I missed the class, there was no way to make it up. The lady on the phone said to me, "being a student doesn't exempt you from jury duty." I pointed out to her that it was easy for her to say because she wasn't the one who was the student.

She offered to put off my jury duty until spring break, but I had already bought a plane ticket to leave the country. I offered to go during the summer but the lady on the phone said they couldn't schedule more than 90 days into the future.

We were at a stand-off and the lady said to me, "You can either come now or you can come during your spring break. Those are your two choices." I pointed out to her that that wasn't true; I could just not come at all. She told me that it was a misdemeanor or something if I didn't show up. I told her to come get me and I hung up.

Clearly, they knew where I lived and I was there for another two years. No one ever came. I'm a freaking fugitive!! :Q
Did you sleep well after you hung up? Not suggesting you should feel bad for skipping jury duty, more concerned about how paranoid you were of someone actually coming to knock on your door.

imported_Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #39
JulesMaximus
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: RoloMather
I got summoned. I'm up this Weds. but I'm not going to be able to physically show up. Didn't return the summon form either.

As I understand it, when I don't show up they will send me a notice. Then if I have a good excuse they will let me off the hook?
Call them and reschedule.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -Frank Zappa
JulesMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #40
waffleironhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: manlymatt83
Quote:
fpmitap
oh please, they would send him to jail, not prison. PMITA doesn't happen in Jail AFAIK.
my response ---------------------

your head--------------------------
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #41
BrokenVisage
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by: paulney
Quote:
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ

LOL. Please. You think they're going to spend the time and money to send a sheriff after you?
Dude, your sig... That's just wrong! :shocked:
*tacks half-an-R onto the grand total*
The Church of Atheism is a non-prophet organization
BrokenVisage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #42
jtvang125
Diamond Member

They very likely will not send someone out to get you but they can put a warrant on you. If you get pulled over for any driving violation that's when they'll get you. Doubt they'll arrest you but probably write you a ticket that requires you to show up in court.
jtvang125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #43
marvdmartian
Diamond Member

They'll quietly put out the word that you were the main opposing organizer that helped to defeat Prop 8. You'll have all sorts of new friends in no time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzo View Post
So you're saying that it's like putting the mashed potatoes on top of the cake BEFORE you do the dishes? I get it now! Good point!
heatware
marvdmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #44
DLeRium
Lifer

Is it just me or is my county one of the few that utilize the Internet? We can either call in or go online to see the previous evening whether we have to go in or not tomorrow. Then again, we ARE Silicon Valley.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #45
hanoverphist
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

since they get paid to do that job, they would be failing at that and probably get fired if done too many times. as a voter/ jury member, im not being paid. well, i guess jury duty pays, just not very well. pull the head out of your rectal region and realize the difference.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #46
funkymatt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Is it just me or is my county one of the few that utilize the Internet? We can either call in or go online to see the previous evening whether we have to go in or not tomorrow. Then again, we ARE Silicon Valley.
Despite having more money, Orange County does not have any internet conveniences. Traffic school must be done at a courthouse, and you have to call in for jury duty.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
Sphexi
Diamond Member

I never once got a jury summons, for like the 10 years that I was eligible. I registered to vote on my 18th birthday, voted in each election since then, nothing. I guess there just aren't many worthwhile trials in Vermont. Now I live in Canada so I'll probably never get one, since I'm not a citizen.
Sphexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #48
OCGuy
Lifer

I've always ignored them, nothing has ever really happened.

I would never get picked for a jury anyway.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #49
jonks
Lifer

http://www.santamariatimes.com.../07/18/news/news02.txt

Superior Court finds, fines citizens who ignore jury service
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #50
Vehemence
Banned

They inject you with AIDS.
Vehemence is offline   Reply With Quote