· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Deeko
Lifer

Default Surface Pro 2 or Yoga 2 Pro

Hmmm....decisions decisions.

I currently have a MacBook Air and a Surface RT. I pre-ordered the Surface Pro 2 to replace both of them. I already have a touch and type keyboard for the Surface, which I can still use....and then I see the Yoga 2 Pro comes out tomorrow.

Size wise, the Surface is thinner and lighter - 13 mm and 2 lbs vs 15mm and 3 lbs. However, the type keyboard adds .5 lbs and 6mm, so when attached the size is pretty comparable. The Surface will be better in "tablet mode" because you can just detach the keyboard, whereas the Yoga will have a better keyboard and more tilt angles, making it better in laptop mode.

Hardware wise, the internals are pretty comparable, same processor, RAM, and storage (at least what I'm looking at). Yoga has a larger, higher resolution screen (3200x1800 @ 13.3" vs 1920x1080 @ 10.6"). Surface has a digitizer and pen included.

Surface is $1299, Yoga is $1149 when comparably equipped.

Anyone else in this quandary?
Deeko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
zerogear
Diamond Member

Let me throw another few for you.

Fujitsu T904

http://www.slashgear.com/fujitsu-lif...play-09300733/

Dell Venue Pro 11

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425163,00.asp
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Chrono
Diamond Member

Best Buy has the i7 Yoga 2 w/ 8GB of ram and 256SSD for $1199 right now. If you are a student you can also get an additional $50 off.

Xbox Live Tag: tenchichrono
PSN Tag: tenchichrono
Chrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Ns1
Lifer

Does the yoga have a stylus?

Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
ponyo
Lifer

I would only go with Yoga pro 2 if they fixed the loud fan noise problem of the original Yoga. I own the original Yoga 13 and I like everything about it minus the awful loud fan noise. It's so loud I will only use it in a noisy room. Otherwise, the fan noise is unbearable.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
ClockHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
I would only go with Yoga pro 2 if they fixed the loud fan noise problem of the original Yoga. I own the original Yoga 13 and I like everything about it minus the awful loud fan noise. It's so loud I will only use it in a noisy room. Otherwise, the fan noise is unbearable.
Not on our Yoga 13. Yours could be defective. Still under warranty?
ClockHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
zerogear
Diamond Member

What is the actual battery life on yoga 2 pro? I'm seeing a lot of 6 hours, but it's rated for 9 hours on Lenovo site.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
EightySix Four
Diamond Member

I have a Yoga and if you have any intention if seriously using it as a tablet, just get a surface. It may be the best convertible form factor laptop out there but that doesn't mean it is particularly good. The size and shape make tablet mode useful only in basic situations where you have your lap to rest it on. Tent mode is great for watching movies except the effing speakers face the wrong way.

My next machine will be a Surface and dock.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Deeko
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
Does the yoga have a stylus?
I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightySix Four View Post
I have a Yoga and if you have any intention if seriously using it as a tablet, just get a surface. It may be the best convertible form factor laptop out there but that doesn't mean it is particularly good. The size and shape make tablet mode useful only in basic situations where you have your lap to rest it on. Tent mode is great for watching movies except the effing speakers face the wrong way.

My next machine will be a Surface and dock.
Yea I'm not sure...it might be too unwieldy for use as a tablet. The Surface itself is already pushing that limit. And I have a Nexus 7 that comprises most of my tablet usage anyway...maybe the Yoga is the way to go. I wish there would be some reviews out there....
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Deeko
Lifer

Surface Pro 2 reviews are out:

http://anandtech.com/show/7440/micro...e-pro-2-review
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/21/m...-pro-2-review/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/20/4...e-pro-2-review

About what you'd expect. Faster, two stage kickstand is better than one, battery life is better. Hmmm....
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

i say surface, that sticky rubbery stuff on yoga doesnt age well at all, it eventually becomes a mess
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
InfiniteLurker

I am in the same situation - trying to pick between the Surface Pro 2 and the Yoga 2 Pro.

I'm currently leaning towards the Yoga 2 Pro because when I'm not at my desk with my device hooked up to external monitors and keyboard, that extra 3" of screen really helps my productivity (development). I am torn though, because I like the digitizer of the Surface Pro 2.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
zerogear
Diamond Member

I grabbed a Yoga 2 Pro to play around with. feel free to ask me anything about it. Im heading into the store today to pick up a Surface Pro 2.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Deeko
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
I grabbed a Yoga 2 Pro to play around with. feel free to ask me anything about it. Im heading into the store today to pick up a Surface Pro 2.
How is the screen? Does windows handle the high resolution ok, or is it too small to be usable?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #15
zerogear
Diamond Member

The scaling is fine for the most part (I'm on the 2nd level, but I would say most people would be comfortable with 3rd) but some 3rd party application notably Chrome (I think there is some -- switch fix for Chrome) and Adobe suite of software doesn't scale properly, leaving them a bit too small.

The screen is in RGBW pentile arrangement, so the text, when you get up close to it, is a little fuzzy around the edges. There is also a color issue with yellow (brownish-yellow shows when it's supposed to be bright yellow -- due to power management) that Lenovo says that they will fix in the future

Official response here:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Win...1270427/page/6

Edit: FYI, this Yoga 2 Pro uses the same panel as Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus.

Last edited by zerogear; 10-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.
zerogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
crashtestdummy
Platinum Member

I may pick up the Yoga 2 soon (It'll be my reward for getting a job when that happens). I think the question is whether your primary use is as a tablet or as a laptop. If you need a laptop that can be a tablet when you want, get the Yoga. If you want a tablet that can be a laptop once in a while. Whatever I get will be my primary work device, so I figured to go with the Yoga.
crashtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
pantsaregood

Unless you have gigantic hands, the Surface is much easier to use as a tablet.
pantsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
zerogear
Diamond Member

Yoga 2 Pro is a Ultrabook first, tablet second. Surface Pro 2 is a tablet first, Ultrabook second.

It really depends on which side you want to lean on.

I still wish someone would make a decent clamshell tablet/detachable keyboard at a decent price with Haswell. @ Lenovo w/ Helix. or Asus Transformer Book.

Edit: Got my Surface Pro 2 as well.

Last edited by zerogear; 10-22-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Sheep
Golden Member

Quote:
Yoga 2 Pro is a Ultrabook first, tablet second. Surface Pro 2 is a tablet first, Ultrabook second.
This pretty much captures it. I wanted a laptop first since I already own a Nexus 7 so I bought a Yoga Pro 2 over the weekend. I also very much prefer the Yoga form factor over the Surface.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
Deeko
Lifer

Quote:

It really depends on which side you want to lean on.

I still wish someone would make a decent clamshell tablet/detachable keyboard at a decent price with Haswell. @ Lenovo w/ Helix. or Asus Transformer Book.

Edit: Got my Surface Pro 2 as well.
How would you compare the two so far?

I'm still conflicted. I am a developer so obviously the larger screen and roomier keyboard on the Yoga have advantages - but the vast bulk of my development is done on my desktop anyway, I require portability above all for on the go programming - and honestly, my MacBook Air is a bit too large for, say, developing in an airplane seat. Not to mention the "couch surfing" type of use, where the Surface tablet format is superior.

My brain is saying "get the Yoga, its more practical and better designed for your use case", but....I just kinda want the Surface more.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Crono
Lifer

If you don't need it to be a desktop replacement, get the Surface Pro. Since you've had the RT, you probably like the form factor and build, so just go Pro. Starting next year the dock and new accessories and covers (Surface Remix as an example, but so many possibilities) will make it a far more interesting tool to use.

Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Ns1
Lifer

I really want the surface pro2...but I can't help but feel that the device I really want is the surface pro3. So many updates missing this time around (e.g., the ones that made it to the surface2 but not the surfacepro2)

Rule 813 bro
Ns1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
poofyhairguy
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
but I can't help but feel that the device I really want is the surface pro4.
FIFY. They will have it nailed by then.
poofyhairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
zerogear
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeko View Post
How would you compare the two so far?

I'm still conflicted. I am a developer so obviously the larger screen and roomier keyboard on the Yoga have advantages - but the vast bulk of my development is done on my desktop anyway, I require portability above all for on the go programming - and honestly, my MacBook Air is a bit too large for, say, developing in an airplane seat. Not to mention the "couch surfing" type of use, where the Surface tablet format is superior.

My brain is saying "get the Yoga, its more practical and better designed for your use case", but....I just kinda want the Surface more.
For me the color on the screen is a dealbeaker for the Yoga, so I'm leaning heavily towards Surface Pro since the colors are fairly accurate, and seems to be calibrated out of factory.

Here is a pros and cons list, since this is only from my experience, other people may differ on it.

Surface Pro 2:

Pros:
-Form Factor -- I can imagine myself carrying this everywhere, which is actually what I want a tablet/hybrid to be like
-Stylus -- For note taking and drawing
-Screen/color accuracy -- using my hardware calibration device (Spyder 3), I found that out of the box, the accuracy is fairly spot on.
-Weight - 2lbs, which really isn't all that heavy compared to iPad
-Build quality - This thing definitely screams quality -- even though it does feel hefty in the hand it's one of the "quality" heft -- On par with Apple devices in terms of build.

Cons:
-Price - 1299 (256GB) + 129 (Type Cover 2) and if I decide to keep it, another 149 if I want Microsoft Complete warranty --- If you want the Dock, it's another $200
-Screen resolution - only 1080p @ 207ppi (this is relative Yoga, 207 ppi is actually quite good)
-Type keyboard - while it's fairly decent, the travel is quite short, so it will take some getting used to, compared to Yoga 2, it's not as great -- Though the individual keys are larger than the individual keys on the Yoga 2 Pro.
-Small touchpad area, though all the usual gestures work fine, pinch to zoom/two finger scroll/two finger tap right click

Yoga 2 Pro:
Pros:
-Full Sized Keyboard - The keyboard, while still shallow (I'm comparing to a mechanical kb on desktop), is pretty good for an Ultrabook.
-Large Clickpad - All the gestures previously mentioned work as well on top of a few others other Synaptic implementions
-Screen Resolution: 3200x1800, enough said -- Though for me I had to increase it up to 150%, so the actual usable resolution may not be as high as that. At 100% it is TINY
-Different modes, Stand, Tent, Tablet, Laptop mode -- I find myself using Stand and Tent mode quite often
-Price - 1199 for i7-4500U, 8GB RAM, 256GB and 3200x1800 resolution -- really really great pricing.
-High PPI screen -- 276PPI

Cons:
-Form Factor - while it is small, I can't imagine myself replacing a tablet with it, while it can make due as a tablet for emergencies, it's awkward to use as a tablet.
-Weight - 3 pounds, gets to be heavy as tablet, you'll probably want a table around when you use this thing or use it in your lap.
-Build quality - Don't get me wrong, while plastic, this has a great build quality, no flex and no creaking on the plastic at all -- but when compared to Surface Pro 2, SP2 wins, but not by a huge margin. I would say you would be happy with the build quality on either
-Screen-Color accuracy - as I have previously mentioned, this screen is actually quite horrible in terms of color reproduction. Lenovo has promised a fix, but no ETA.
-Screen-Pentile arrangement - Compared to the SP2, I actually find that when I hold the screen up close (which I often do as a tablet, the text, because of the Pentile arrangement of RGBW, is slightly fuzzy)

I'm testing out the battery life so far, as it seems I think Surface Pro 2 might be pulling slightly ahead in terms of actual battery life. Might be something to do with the insane resolution that Yoga 2 Pro has to power that detracts from the battery life.

I am usually getting around 6-7 hours with Yoga 2 Pro

Right now I am getting around 2 hours used, with 75% remaining - estimation of another 7 hours or so -- on Power Saver power setting.

I will do some more battery test in the next few days to see.

Also, if people are concerned, using Surface Pro 2 on your lap is actually fairly decent. -- Not as great as a regular laptop, but it's usable.

Last edited by zerogear; 10-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
foghorn67
Lifer

Stylus, therefore Surface Pro 2 wins hands down for me.