Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
brainhulk
Diamond Member
 
brainhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,488
Default how high do you guys think gas will rise if we strike Syria?

Should I start hoarding gas?
brainhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Fritzo
Lifer
 
Fritzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 36,542
Default

Eh...there will probably be a spike, then it'll drop again in a week. Syria has not exported any oil since late 2011, when international sanctions came into force.
__________________
Also, from now on, I shall refer to you as "Peaches."
Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
techs
Lifer
 
techs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 28,426
Default

It depends on how much Franks Hot Sauce you put on the wings.
__________________
Imagine a really good sig is here.
techs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
TechBoyJK
Lifer
 
TechBoyJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13,374
Default

Just go down and kill the spider!
__________________
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
You're being difficult. You have not provided us with the information we need to troubleshoot the problem. You have not given us errors, you're vague about where the problem is, you are not answering the questions we ask. In short, you DON'T KNOW HOW TO THINK. Give back that piece of paper you think makes your intelligent, apologize, destroy your computer and go live in the woods kid.
TechBoyJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Spungo
Golden Member
 
Spungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,603
Default

It might also cause gold to go up. Gold generally goes up when someone does something retarded or when the market is going down.
__________________
Sep 19, 2013, I predicted these would make money:
Pan Am Silver, PAAS, $11.80; Apple, AAPL, $472.30; IAMGOLD, IAG, $5.79; ARMOUR Residential, ARR, $4.21; Potash Corp, POT, $32.08; control group: S&P500 ETF, SPY, $172.81
Dec update: Silver and gold are way down, but I'm still bullish. I think I was wrong about the others. We're near the peak of a huge bond and real estate bubble. Stay away from bonds, REITs, home builders, and banks.
Spungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
waggy
No Lifer
 
waggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 63,838
Default

duh.

of course they will go up because of it. why waste a good "reason" to raise the price of gas?
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Jaskalas
Lifer
 
Jaskalas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 17,980
Default

Depends if other nations get involved and retaliate. A regional war, although unprecedented, is not out of the question. Iran has vowed a response. This could ignite a fire from Egypt to Pakistan, if the actors involved want to play their part.

Our involvement is merely for the US President to save face and back up his red line with force. Why would others not feel equally obligated having sworn a response?
__________________
"Governor Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that Al-Qaeda is a threat.
Because a few months ago when you were asked ‘What’s the biggest geopolitical threat facing America?’ you said Russia!
Not Al-Qaeda, you said Russia and the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back
because... you know... the Cold War has been over for 20 years."

-President Obama, 2012 debate.
Jaskalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Jesus may be sacrificed for our sins again if gas prices go up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
FalseChristian
Diamond Member
 
FalseChristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oshawa, ON, CA
Posts: 3,305
Default

Off topic, but what is the difference killing people with either a bullet, bomb or poison gas?

'Oh, Assad's only killing people with bullets and bombs. That's OK. What?!? Poison gas?!? Time to strike!"

Absolute bull-shit.
__________________
Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (45x100) 1.350v-Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 (BIOS 3402)-16GB Kingston VR DDR3-1333Mhz @ 1600MHz 1.65v-2 EVGA GTX 760 2GB (1212/7600) ACX-750w Cooler Master GXII-RealTek on-board sound-Intel Onboard 1Gb Ethernet-Rogers Cable Internet 6.6MB/second-2TB Seagate 7200 SATA 6 HD-3TB SeaGate USB 3.0 EHD-22" Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW 1680x1050 67Htz-Windows 7 HP 64-bit SP1
FalseChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
dank69
Lifer
 
dank69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corner of FORECLOSURE and BÅNKRUPTCY ST.
Posts: 12,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseChristian View Post
Off topic, but what is the difference killing people with either a bullet, bomb or poison gas?

'Oh, Assad's only killing people with bullets and bombs. That's OK. What?!? Poison gas?!? Time to strike!"

Absolute bull-shit.
Has to do with the cruelty factor acknowledged by basically every country and civilization on the planet.
__________________
Nemesis 1: Above your age please. The climate is in fact warmer now . Maybe this erection will cool things down mother earth shes hot.

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Train
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseChristian View Post
Off topic, but what is the difference killing people with either a bullet, bomb or poison gas?

'Oh, Assad's only killing people with bullets and bombs. That's OK. What?!? Poison gas?!? Time to strike!"

Absolute bull-shit.
Ya, I always thought the arbitrary "laws of war" the international community uses only serves as a convenient excuse to use whenever you want to justify something.

I think the phrase "There's no rules in love and war" is more appropriate.
__________________
.
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
Train
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank69 View Post
Has to do with the cruelty factor acknowledged by basically every country and civilization on the planet.
Death is cruel.

When I was in Iraq a dude I knew got shot in the neck twice. He choked and gagged violently for over an hour before finally dying. And it wasn't for a lack of medical attention, he basically was shot right down the street from a fully staffed surgical center. I just don't buy it that some gas or poison is "more cruel"
__________________
.
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
NFS4
No Lifer
 
NFS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 72,540
Default

What I want to know is,

Syrian government gasses 1,000 people: Imminent U.S. attack
Genocide in Africa kills hundreds of thousands over the past decade or so: ???
__________________
"I'm going to count to three, there will not be a four."
NFS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
dank69
Lifer
 
dank69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corner of FORECLOSURE and BÅNKRUPTCY ST.
Posts: 12,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
Death is cruel.

When I was in Iraq a dude I knew got shot in the neck twice. He choked and gagged violently for over an hour before finally dying. And it wasn't for a lack of medical attention, he basically was shot right down the street from a fully staffed surgical center. I just don't buy it that some gas or poison is "more cruel"
It's okay if you don't buy it. Most of humanity does and that's all that matters.
__________________
Nemesis 1: Above your age please. The climate is in fact warmer now . Maybe this erection will cool things down mother earth shes hot.

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,557
Default

How are we going to pay for this war when US is broke and is about to hit another debt ceiling?

It's no longer (and never has been) about what we should do, but about what we can afford.

When will our government start thinking this way?
Vdubchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Vdubchaos
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS4 View Post
What I want to know is,

Syrian government gasses 1,000 people: Imminent U.S. attack
Genocide in Africa kills hundreds of thousands over the past decade or so: ???
There is clearly money to be made in Syria

Corps use US government as force to get more money....at the tax payer expense.
Vdubchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
diesbudt
Diamond Member
 
diesbudt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdubchaos View Post
How are we going to pay for this war when US is broke and is about to hit another debt ceiling?

It's no longer (and never has been) about what we should do, but about what we can afford.

When will our government start thinking this way?
Great idea.

1) Nuke Syria to oblivion
2) Take land for ourselves
3) clean up land
4) Sell land to highest bidder
5) Pay off some of the debt
6) Threaten to do it again to another country if our debts are not whiped out of the kindness of their hearts.
7) With no more debt spend money and time to habitate and Conquer Mars.
8) Move America to mars
9) Nuke earth into pieces
10) Enjoy an American galatic Empire!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
If there was a train of logic, yours derailed about 7 stations back and you just hopped onto the tracks and started running down them in place of the train.
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
mmntech
Lifer
 
mmntech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 13,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseChristian View Post
Off topic, but what is the difference killing people with either a bullet, bomb or poison gas?

'Oh, Assad's only killing people with bullets and bombs. That's OK. What?!? Poison gas?!? Time to strike!"

Absolute bull-shit.
American economy is still in the toilet, NSA scandal, Obamacare isn't going over well, and people are beginning to seriously question Obama's presidential record. That's why now is the time to strike. Though I read yesterday that only 9% of Americans approve of attacking Syria.
__________________
Callout portion of post removed, which left only "I'll be showing my girlfriend my massive penis..." Since that is obviously some kind of typo I deleted it as well. - allisolm

Boycott SiriusXM
mmntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
dank69
Lifer
 
dank69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corner of FORECLOSURE and BÅNKRUPTCY ST.
Posts: 12,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmntech View Post
American economy is still in the toilet, NSA scandal, Obamacare isn't going over well, and people are beginning to seriously question Obama's presidential record. That's why now is the time to strike. Though I read yesterday that only 9% of Americans approve of attacking Syria.
People have been seriously questioning Obama's presidential record since before he took office.
__________________
Nemesis 1: Above your age please. The climate is in fact warmer now . Maybe this erection will cool things down mother earth shes hot.

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
SP33Demon
Lifer
 
SP33Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In Your Frontal Lobe
Posts: 22,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesbudt View Post
Great idea.

1) Nuke Syria to oblivion
2) Take land for ourselves
3) clean up land
4) Sell land to highest bidder
5) Pay off some of the debt
6) Threaten to do it again to another country if our debts are not whiped out of the kindness of their hearts.
7) With no more debt spend money and time to habitate and Conquer Mars.
8) Move America to mars
9) Nuke earth into pieces
10) Enjoy an American galatic Empire!
You forgot building the Starship Enterprise. For shame.
__________________
ATH&F Member of 2X Bodyweight Squat and Deadlift Clubs
-----------
R.I.P. Acemcmac
SP33Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
MontyAC
Diamond Member
 
MontyAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,046
Default

The oil companies probably will milk this as long as they can.
MontyAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
Train
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank69 View Post
It's okay if you don't buy it. Most of humanity does and that's all that matters.
Most of humanity is following what someone told them.

Can "most of humanity" address my statement with something other than majority makes right?
__________________
.
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
dank69
Lifer
 
dank69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corner of FORECLOSURE and BÅNKRUPTCY ST.
Posts: 12,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
Most of humanity is following what someone told them.

Can "most of humanity" address my statement with something other than majority makes right?
The internet can answer your question like it answers most questions.
__________________
Nemesis 1: Above your age please. The climate is in fact warmer now . Maybe this erection will cool things down mother earth shes hot.

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
Train
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 12,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank69 View Post
The internet can answer your question like it answers most questions.
Funny as there are several responses there agreeing with me. But the highest voted answer repeats the same BS. I guess you'll just hide behind that?
__________________
.
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
dank69
Lifer
 
dank69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corner of FORECLOSURE and BÅNKRUPTCY ST.
Posts: 12,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
Funny as there are several responses there agreeing with me. But the highest voted answer repeats the same BS. I guess you'll just hide behind that?
How about you tell us why you think this specific part is wrong:
Quote:
Where as if u release a gas into an area, A. the wind can shift and ur own soldiers can suffer the effects
__________________
Nemesis 1: Above your age please. The climate is in fact warmer now . Maybe this erection will cool things down mother earth shes hot.

pcgeek11: IMO: Being gay is not a minority. It is a genetic defect

Idontcare: dank69 is hereby permabanned.
dank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.