4.3 inches display with 480*800 resolution
1800 mAh battery
8.1 MP camera
1.6 MP front cam
Daniel Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
gmaster456
Golden Member

Another useless, redundant phone. I though HTC was working on consolidating their lineup? They should just use the HTC One S for the midrange market. Similar specs and I'm sure by now it would be the same price if not cheaper to make than a brand new phone.

gmaster456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Red Storm
Lifer

HTC needs to be banned from using the name Desire.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
WelshBloke
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
The original desire was a nice phone at the time.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
gmaster456
Golden Member

Quote:
The Desire phones of yesteryear use to actually be pretty good. And the Desire 600 looks good.

But I don't see the point of the 500.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Crono
Lifer

My opinion of this phone is dependent on pricing.
If it is free on contract or less than 300 dollars off contract, it is a new product that can fit into HTC's new lineup.

If it costs anything on contract, or if it is the same price as the One Mini off contract, then it becomes the one new HTC phone to ignore. With those specifications it really has to be priced to be at the upper low end/bottom of the mid range phones. This looks like a move by HTC to fill out it's product lineup after making the other requisite phone types in the current smartphone environment: its flagship (the One), it's midrange leader (One Mini), and phablet/big battery Note competitor (One Max).

The "One" branding isn't being pushed all the way down the line, it would seem. Which makes sense if HTC wants to avoid diluting it too much with potentially low budget phones. The Desire looks okay, though the accents remind me of Nike sneakers. But not necessarily in a bad way.

Last edited by Crono; 08-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Crono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
gmaster456
Golden Member

Picture of the 500

The HTC logo on the bottom is gone but they still keep the same button placement?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
GTRagnarok

Mother of bezels!
GTRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
ew915

Buy this phone if you are planning on never updating the os
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
DLeRium
Lifer

I think it's sad when phones like these with better specs than say the next best iPhone (4S) is considered pure trash. We talk about how "specs shouldn't matter" like with the Moto X, yet they matter so much with Android. It's disappointing that it must be this way.

It's true that I want a flagship phone and can accept nothing less, but why must we be this way about Android phones? And more importantly why do phones less than flagship status have to be trash? I'd like to see the platform become more efficient so that even specs like these won't be an issue.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
I think it's sad when phones like these with better specs than say the next best iPhone (4S) is considered pure trash. We talk about how "specs shouldn't matter" like with the Moto X, yet they matter so much with Android. It's disappointing that it must be this way.

It's true that I want a flagship phone and can accept nothing less, but why must we be this way about Android phones? And more importantly why do phones less than flagship status have to be trash? I'd like to see the platform become more efficient so that even specs like these won't be an issue.
Are you ignoring the obvious on purpose?

What's wrong with the Moto X? It's priced too high. This HTC phone has a god awful bezel with horrible button placement (there's not even a logo there as an excuse), pitiful battery size, pitiful resolution, etc. Unless HTC plans on selling this thing for $100 off contract, then it's DOA. We don't care about low end phones on a tech enthusiast forum. The same way we don't care about Celeron PCs when we've got way better products out there for good prices.

Last edited by Red Storm; 08-09-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Red Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Are you ignoring the obvious on purpose?

What's wrong with the Moto X? It's priced too high.
It's hard to talk about contract pricing because as I've expressed before, the whole contract pricing scheme doesn't allow differentiation in pricing. When your GS4 goes on sale frequently and same with HTC phones, it's hard to market non flagship phones. It's either $99 or $49 or FREE. There isn't the kind of dynamic range you get with non-contract pricing.

Quote:
This HTC phone has a god awful bezel with horrible button placement (there's not even a logo there as an excuse), pitiful battery size, pitiful resolution, etc. Unless HTC plans on selling this thing for $100 off contract, then it's DOA. We don't care about low end phones on a tech enthusiast forum. The same way we don't care about Celeron PCs when we've got way better products out there for good prices.
I'm not arguing this is a GREAT phone, but its a decent phone for many. It's a dual core processor thats faster than an iPhone 4S, meaning unless your UI sucks balls, it SHOULD be as fast. As for the button placement, I'm not a fan, but stop being so biased and at least gain some perspective. You could make the argument that HTC's trying to standardize the button layout on their phones. I'd be pissed if they went to a random 4 button layout like in Android 2.x phones for example because that would just be confusing.

Why does it have to be DOA if not $100 off contract? I guarantee you this will sell just fine worldwide. I know you guys don't give a damn about the HTC One Mini or GS4 Mini, but those phones sell for $400+ worldwide. And guess what? There's a market.

I wouldn't touch those phones, but just because I don't buy them or you don't buy them doesn't mean its a terrible product. There's a market for non $600 phones. So yeah, it does upset me when idiots on this forum just talk about how products suck because they're not suited for them. Not everyone buys high end for ALL products and services. Get used to it.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
Daniel Jones

Surfed few links with price of desire 500 and it is not getting clear, have to wait for its release. Some sites are showing it to be $333 while some are showing $398.

If the price is around $333 then this phone may bring some nice sales to Tiwanese firm else it will be another useless phone from hTC.
Daniel Jones is offline   Reply With Quote