· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
justinb386

Default Best linux distro for laptop with 2GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 with 2GB DDR2 memory?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop, and it runs very slow on Windows 7.

I thought that it might run much faster in linux, but would the latest linux distro's run very well on my old hardware, or would my laptop run just as slow in linux?

I know that upgrading the HD (which is just an old 80GB SATA HD) to an SSD would be the best way to improve performance, but I do not have the money for a good SSD, so I thought that formatting my HD and installing a good linux distro would be the best option for me at this time.

Thanks.
justinb386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
lxskllr
Lifer

Try Xubuntu. The default install is kind of ugly imo, but it pretties up nice. It has a Windows 9.x appearance.
lxskllr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
John Connor
Diamond Member

You can pick up a cheap Intel SSD on Ebay for 60 bucks.
John Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
cganesh75
Super Moderator
Elite Member
For Sale/Trade

I have a very similar laptop. I have been using Ubuntu 64. It's been fantastic... I would love to go back to Linux mint but the Broadcom bcm driver is PITA.

When you are right no one remembers, when you are wrong no one forgets. -- PurpleHippo a.k.a Jeff
cganesh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
BigToque
Lifer

I don't know if it would be too heavy, but I've been playing with quite a few different distros lately, and the one I've been enjoying the most is openSUSE. I was never really a fan of KDE (no reason, just some initial first impression), and now I'm finding that KDE is a really functional (and attractive) DE.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
jaydee
Diamond Member

I have had no problems switching from Win7 to Linux Mint 15 on an HP Pavillion DV9000 laptop, with the exact same CPU you mentioned. Ok, one problem, the PC will not come out of Hibernate mode, but I think that's common with AMD CPU's and linux. I did switch to an OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD when I did it. I'm sure you have find a used one for $50 if you look hard enough?
Samsung 830 120GB running Win8 Pro
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
justinb386

Yeah, well I had the latest version of lubuntu linux on the laptop, and it would not go in to hibernation mode when I closed the laptop. Not sure about it coming out of hibernation mode, because it would not even go in to hibernation mode. Maybe I need to manually do that every time. I really like how much faster windows 8 is, but I do not like the way it is set up (like when you open up skype, it has to use up the entire screen when you are using skype) I really hate that. I like the smaller skype screen that all other versions of windows give you. Lubuntu sure is really fast. The only thing I do not like about linux is that my logitech webcam gives really horrible picture quality when using it online, and linux is not even compatible on some chat sites that I like to visit. If only linux could work just as well as windows on providing the best quality drivers for web cams, and was compatible with most websites, then I would be happy using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I have had no problems switching from Win7 to Linux Mint 15 on an HP Pavillion DV9000 laptop, with the exact same CPU you mentioned. Ok, one problem, the PC will not come out of Hibernate mode, but I think that's common with AMD CPU's and linux. I did switch to an OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD when I did it. I'm sure you have find a used one for $50 if you look hard enough?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
bbhaag
Golden Member

I have a very similar Toshiba laptop but with a Turion RM-72 cpu and 3gig of ram. Right now I'm running www.peppermintos.com on it with really good results. Peppermint is a cloud based OS though so it comes with very little in the way of software programs, but you can always add them later as you need them either through the Software Manager or through PPA's if it isn't available through the SM.

As far as the software glitches go that you are experiencing. It might be one of those things that you have to learn to live with when dealing with a non Windows OS. Sure there is a learning curve and you will probably figure out a lot along the way, but Linux is not Windows and sometimes it performs a little differently.

FWIW I love my little Linux lappy and use it about 75% of the time vs my Windows desktop. I'm glad I stuck with it through the beginning fazes and learned how to work in a Linux environment.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Cerb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
I know that upgrading the HD (which is just an old 80GB SATA HD) to an SSD would be the best way to improve performance, but I do not have the money for a good SSD, so I thought that formatting my HD and installing a good linux distro would be the best option for me at this time.
What about a bad SSD? Honestly, a newer denser HDD would probably be a huge improvement, such as a 500GB 7mm (7mm just to be sure it's a really new 500GB), or a small/cheap SSD, such as a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB. Then, just do a fresh install, and disable Superfetch (no matter what MS apologists try to tell you, Windows does not have proper IO priority, like Linux or FreeBSD--it works for some people, but can get in the way a lot, too), and indexing of all but the start menu (speeds up regular file access, since it won't be updating the indices, nor trying to read them when browsing files--don't turn off indexing, just modify indexed locations in control panel).

<- 250GB or 320GB HDD, Win7, 1.7GHz Turion64 X2, 2GB RAM, runs fine
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
kommisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop, and it runs very slow on Windows 7.

I thought that it might run much faster in linux, but would the latest linux distro's run very well on my old hardware, or would my laptop run just as slow in linux?

Thanks.
I have a dv6000 with a Turion X2 and 1 GB of Ram and without a HD. I run slacko puppy 5.5 as a live multi-session DVD. The entire operating system is loaded into ram and is very fast even on this somewhat dated hardware. Check it out...

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm
kommisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
justinb386

Yeah, I had to do that a couple years ago with a laptop that I had with a defective sata hd connector (it would not read HD's for some reason), so I had to buy a $20 USB flash drive, and install linux on the flash drive. I ran this linux distro called Ubuntu netbook edition, and it was a super fast light weight distro, but I can't remember where I found that distro at, or which version it was (because I later found another ubuntu netbook edition distro that was not as fast as the one I had before). I lost the live cd that I had for the faster distro that I had before. It was lightning fast (maybe because it was made to be used for netbooks, and I was using it with an Core Duo T2400 CPU, and 1GB DDR2 Dell laptop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
I have a dv6000 with a Turion X2 and 1 GB of Ram and without a HD. I run slacko puppy 5.5 as a live multi-session DVD. The entire operating system is loaded into ram and is very fast even on this somewhat dated hardware. Check it out...

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm

Last edited by justinb386; 07-31-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Cerb
Elite Member

Any light/streamlined desktop distro will be fine, as long as it doesn't force sync USB mounting (why the occasional distro does, I'm not sure, TBH, but it happens, it's bad for speed, and supposedly can be bad for WA). If it doesn't automatically mount /tmp as tmpfs or ramfs, add that to fstab, and it'll be fine.

Mint w/ LXDE, Bodhi, and PCLOS I can vouch for as working fine off of current-gen 8GB and 16GB Sandisk Cruzers, which are far from the fastest USB sticks around.