· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
ruhtraeel

Default i7 4770k/3960x vs FX 9370/9590

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker.

So Haswell just came out from Intel, and AMD will soon release their 9590/9370 to the public.

Just wondering, do you guys see AMD's processors winning/losing against Intel's i7's?

I think if (big if) AMD truly can extract a noticeable performance difference from their new processors, it may be a viable alternative.

I personally see the 9370 being a decent alternative to the 4770k if it gives similar performance but with more cores given it's price tag. I think the 9590 will really need to justify it's price as well. It seems like AMD is trying to finally enter the enthusiast market after being in the i5 and below market for the past 2 generations.

I did see the kitguru review, but that one seemed incredibly bias, and if the performance is as such, considering it can hold decently against super high OC'ed Haswell chips, it seems like the performance is solid.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 07-16-2013 at 05:16 PM.
ruhtraeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
zlejedi

There's nothing interesting to see. You can check any of OC reviews for FX series and see performance of 5Ghz Pilediver.

i7 3930k will demolish both of them when overclocked
i7 4770k will still rule gaming and will be close in 8 threaded stuff

And don't get me started on 220W TDP chip being decent alternative to anything apart from heater for Greenland gamers.

I already had a "pleasure" of running rig with overclocked X6 and GTX470 during hot summer.
zlejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

There is already a thread on this.
frozentundra123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
NTMBK
Diamond Member

At that price, it's not worth considering. At, say, the price of a 4770k it could be a decent choice for some people- but higher than a 3930k? Fuhgeddaboudit.
NTMBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
ruhtraeel

I would personally say that regular consumers don't really have any incentive to buy any of the above (like the person above me said); I think both are meant for enthusiast groups only.

It seems a bit sad to me that neither company has really had major improvements throughout the past couple of generations. IIRC the last generation that had a really big performance jump was the Nehalem to Sandy Bridge gen (I have an i5 2500k). But after that, Intel cheaped out on using solder, making Ivy Bridge less overclockable, and then Haswell has even higher temperatures with the Voltage regulation being done on the chip, added to the fact that they still haven't gone back to using solder. Every generation after Sandy Bridge has gotten marginal (5-15%) improvements from what I see. With i5 2500k's going for around 160-180, they still seem like a legitimate choice over anything else released after.

AMD on the other hand also failed pretty hard with their Bulldozer architecture, being outperformed by even their last gen phenoms. The Piledriver update seemed to help quite a bit, but choices such as the now sub-$100 Phenom II X4 965 BE still seem to outweigh a lot of their newer options.

I hope Intel and AMD can go back to the times where each generation was an obvious improvement over the next, giving no incentive to buy older gen products. For example, if I were to upgrade, I would upgrade to an i7 2700k, because there is no incentive for me to go to Ivy Bridge or Haswell due to temperature and overclocking issues (Maybe the 3930k or 3960x due to having more cores).

Apparently the 4960X/4930K are using solder again instead of paste, helping the temperatures. I could really only think of those two being incentive to upgrade from the last two generations.

Last edited by ruhtraeel; 07-16-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Idontcare
Administrator
Elite Member

Welcome to the forums (as a non-lurker now) ruhtraeel!
Idontcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
ruhtraeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Welcome to the forums (as a non-lurker now) ruhtraeel!
Thank you for the welcome. I don't want to explicitly hate on others, but I sort of got fed up with another certain overly advertised site (*cough*TOMS*cough*) for giving pretty biased opinions and not being as informative I would like.

It seems like this community is better informed and can give valuable insights, help and opinions on things.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
ShintaiDK
Diamond Member

4770, its a no brainer.
ShintaiDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
escrow4

I'd say 3930K, I have a suspicion it will end up like the i7 920, freakishly long lifespan. Sandy to Haswell is a jump, but for gaming, its meh (currently, who knows next year with next gen ports).
escrow4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4770k, 9370, 9590, amd, intel