Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Nightraptor1475

Default Interesting New Notebook from Asus/Review

So earlier this week I started a new position with a small law firm. They hadn't bought a computer for me yet so they told me to simply run down to Best Buy and pick out the one I wanted (within reason of course). My first thought of course was YUCK!! Best Buy?? But nonetheless I really did need a machine and needed it fast so I went down there to see what I could find. I needed a laptop with a decent size screen as it is going to be used as my primary machine to perform work on and some of the documents we work with can be rather unwieldy. Still I wanted something that was relatively thin and light. A must was a 1080p screen.

Ultimately I came across the Asus Q501la which I had never heard of and couldn't find any reviews of. Still since it was the right price ($750), fit the specs, and I wasn't paying for it I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I must say after using it for a few days I'm pretty impressed given the price. The thing is very Macbook Pro 15" like in footprint and thickness (.9" thick according to the site, but it seems thinner than that to me). It weighs a touch more at 5 pounds, but is still pretty light for a 15". It is built out of aluminum/magnesium on the cover and keyboard. The back is some kind of soft touch high end plastic. Finally the screen is edge to edge glass . This does lead to the bezel being somewhat glossy which can be annoying but given that it is continuous with the screen it looks much better than most glossy bezels I have seen.

Specs:

Core i5 - 4200U (New Haswell Processor and plenty of power for a business machine)
6 GB DDR-3 Memory (seriously? not a huge deal and enough for me, but what bean-counter thought of this?)
750 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM, wish it was a SSD, but forgivable at $750)
15.6" 1080p IPS TOUCHSCREEN!!! (this screen is gorgeous. I didn't need a touchscreen, but given that I had no choice but Windows 8 it is a very nice bonus)
Back-lit Keyboard
3 USB 3.0 ports, HDMI, Network, Combo Audio, SD Reader
802.11n wireless
4 Cell Battery
Store display indicated 4.5 hour battery life, but I've seen 6 doing general office work.

Things Asus got right
- Form factor is excellent for someone using this as a primary productivity machine that needs to be portable is well. Macbook Pro like balance
- Screen is GORGEOUS
- Performance meets most needs
- Back-lit keyboard and touchscreen for Windows 8 are nice touches
- Large Touch-pad actually works quite well which is something I've had issues with on Asus' before.
- Looks great, although the black aluminum case, and silver keys may not be for everyone

How to make it a 10 out of 10 machine
- Up memory to 8 GB
- Change processor to i5-4250U to get HD5000 graphics instead of HD4400
- Exchange HDD for 256GB SSD
- The keyboard isn't the best in the world to type on. Personally I'm not a fan of the new "island" key design, but it is everywhere so I have to live with it. Even then it could be better
- After these upgrades price for $999

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/15.6%22+...01la&cp=1&lp=1
Nightraptor1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
skriefal
Golden Member

I'd add two items to make it 10 out of 10:
- Drop the number pad, and center the keyboard and touchpad under the screen.
- Drop the island keyboard. Real keyboard please.

Still, looks not bad for $750. Hopefully we'll see more IPS-equipped laptops.
skriefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Nightraptor1475

Yeah I understand that a lot of people might not like the number pad. In my line of work it actually comes in handy and as a result for my needs I am OK with things being off center in order to gain the number pad. I think I mentioned that the keyboard was not great, I just haven't seen any recent keyboards without the island design. I too prefer the older design though.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I don't understand the hate for island/chiclet style keyboards. When implemented right, they are just as good as the older design. It wasn't like every laptop with the traditional style keycaps was the OMG BEST KEYBOARD EVAR!!!, there were plenty of bad eggs.
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
jaydee
Diamond Member

I don't see anywhere where it states the resolution? My main question is, can the HDMI port drive a 1440p monitor?

edit: It does look pretty solid, particularly if it is able to drive 1440p, though I would prefer DisplayPort over HDMI in either case. I also wonder if there is an msata slot somewhere in there?
Samsung 830 120GB running Win8 Pro

Last edited by jaydee; 07-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
marcplante

Yes, their screens are gorgeous. I still cling to the need for an optical drive, though, since I'll use it to watch DVDs on the road, etc.
marcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
skriefal
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
I don't understand the hate for island/chiclet style keyboards. When implemented right, they are just as good as the older design.
This is off topic, but I have to at least offer my thoughts...

The problem is with the "when implemented right" bit. Most that I've seen are implemented poorly, and seem to be designed to maximize appearance with little thought given to function. My # 1 complaint -- keycaps should not be flat.

Last edited by skriefal; 07-12-2013 at 08:58 PM.
skriefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
This is off topic, but I have to at least offer my thoughts...

The problem is with the "when implemented right" bit. Most that I've seen are implemented poorly, and seem to be designed to maximize appearance with little thought given to function. My # 1 complaint -- keycaps should not be flat.
Ok, but like I said, it's not like everyone and their brother was doing the old keyboards right either. The trackpad, keyboard, and monitor are all things that need to be implemented right, and some do it better and some do it worse. And it has ALWAYS been that way.
TheStu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Nightraptor1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I don't see anywhere where it states the resolution? My main question is, can the HDMI port drive a 1440p monitor?

edit: It does look pretty solid, particularly if it is able to drive 1440p, though I would prefer DisplayPort over HDMI in either case. I also wonder if there is an msata slot somewhere in there?
I'm not sure where the resolution is stated on the Best Buy website. I can tell you for a fact that it is a 1080p IPS screen. As far as the HDMI port I don't have access to a screen with that high of resolution to test it out. It is the latest Haswell processor so in theory at least it should support it.

As to a mSATA slot I did try to open it, but it seemed a bit difficult to get the panel off after taking out the screws. Given that it is a work machine I didn't want to dig as much as I would if it were my own machine so I can't answer that question. We will have to wait till someone else decides to tear one a part.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
GusSmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightraptor1475 View Post
I'm not sure where the resolution is stated on the Best Buy website. I can tell you for a fact that it is a 1080p IPS screen.
You can? Link to the specs somewhere? Because Best Buy just says "HD", which for Best Buy is code for 1366 x 768. I've not been able to find a single thing about this laptop other than pages shilling for it with no hard information. Every other Asus laptop I've found in this size range has been 1366 x 768.
GusSmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
Nightraptor1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusSmed View Post
You can? Link to the specs somewhere? Because Best Buy just says "HD", which for Best Buy is code for 1366 x 768. I've not been able to find a single thing about this laptop other than pages shilling for it with no hard information. Every other Asus laptop I've found in this size range has been 1366 x 768.
I can confirm on a couple of fronts. First off generally IPS displays are not 768p and the Best Buy site clearly states that it is an IPS display. Secondly I actually own the laptop and am typing on it right now. A quick check of the settings confirms that it is 1080p. Thirdly comparing it to the 768p laptop I have sitting on my desk is like comparing a cheap boombox to a high end 7.1 channel surround sound system.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
royo

This touch screen obsession is lame.
royo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
GusSmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightraptor1475 View Post
I can confirm on a couple of fronts.
I stopped in at Best Buy today because I wanted to decide how I felt about caving in at getting a 15" instead of a 14" laptop, and I saw the Q501la there. In-store, the card says 1920 x 1080, which is information missing from the web site. It's pretty nice looking.

I was primarily there to look the Asus Q550LF, which like the Q501LA appears to be Best Buy only. Like the Q501LF, it's 1920 x 1080, but it sports a GeForce GT 745M.

I ended up ordering a HP Envy 15t Touchsmart Quad, because it was about the same price, and traded the optical drive for a much better processor (quad core I7-4700MQ, about 3x the performance). The HP has an mSata slot, which I intend to fill with a 256 GB SSD.
GusSmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Alpina

Any ideas will this model will be available in other countries or shops? Price is really nice for this
Alpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Binarycow
Golden Member

I bought this laptop about 10 days ago after reading it here in this post. Loved the screen, loved it! the design was also pretty good and it did not flex easily compared to comparable models.

I ended up returning it the next day after finding out how slow the Qualcomm Atheros wireless chip set used by this model was. My setup is about 30 ft away from the wireless router, there is a sheet-rock wall in between and I constant got connected at about 500 Kbps which was way too slow compared to what my other two laptops could get from the same spot.

Fast-forward to about 5 days ago. My B-Day is this month so BB sent me a 10% off coupon. Went back and picked up this laptop again since the price was simply too good with the 10% off deal.

Ordered this USB wireless mini-adaptor from newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704140
Got it yesterday and it improved my connection speed greatly. Totally worth losing a USB port. That thing is also pretty tiny, which isa great plus.

in summary:

positive:

Amazing screen with practically unlimited viewing angle
fast CPU and decent GPU
running very cool
very quiet, much quieter than my other laptops/netbook
great build
large HD, fast enough for what I need
no brick-size power adopter
not too heavy (5.5 lbs)
not too much crapware installed
battery lasts reasonably long.

negative:

weak built-in wireless adapter
keyboard could be better built
Windows 8 (I'm pretty comfortable with it but still think it's a huge POS). On the plus side, this OS seems pretty frugal when it comes to eating up the available RAM.
crappy Asus software
battery is not easily accessible
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
KentState
Diamond Member

This looks like a good laptop to replace my wife's 6 year old HP. Being a tax-free holiday, I will try to get it this weekend. BTW, is it possible to swap the HDD for SDD if I have one laying around?
KentState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Quantos

Hi all. I'll add my thoughts to this topic as I acquired a Q501LA this weekend. Overall, I'd say this laptop is incredible value. I got it at 699$ USD and added a 250GB Samsung EVO at 170$ CAD. Overall it's about 900$.

I'm saying it's very good value because I simply couldn't find a laptop that I could buy at roughly the same price for the same specs and quality. Most other laptops seem to keep the damn 1366x768 screens up above 1000$.

I must say, I was skeptical of the purpose of a touch screen on a laptop beforehand, but after roaming Windows 8 a little bit, I find I use it more than I thought I would. Numerous tasks are in fact simplified by the use of touch and I'm starting to understand why Microsoft is pushing them so hard.

As others have said, the screen provides very good picture quality and viewing angles.

The one point others have mentioned is the weak built-in wireless chip. I must say I haven't experienced this so far. Also, I'm seeing in a post below that the chip used was a Qualcomm Atheros? If I recall correctly, I saw an Intel chip when I opened the computer to replace the HDD.

Speaking of HDD, the process to swap for the SSD was pretty simple: I simply unscrewed the bottom cover, pried open a corner of the cover and followed around in order to remove it completely. From there, swapping the HDD for the SSD is very simple: 4 screws hold the HDD in place. It is standard laptop size, of course, so a standard 7mm SSD fits perfectly.

I don't have figures for battery life or performance yet; I only just had time to install yesterday, but I'll update this post with relevant information as it becomes available to me!

Lancool PC-K7 | Gentle Typhoons Cooling | ASUS P8Z77 | Intel 2700k | Noctua NH-D14 w/ PWM Noctua Fans | Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US | Seasonic SS-660XP2 |120GB OCZ Agility 3 | 1TB & 2TB WD Caviar Blacks | MSI GTX670 PE | 2x ASUS VH242H | Mionix Naos 5000 | Beyerdynamic MX300

Quantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
celamantia

I have one of these laptops; I have been pretty happy with it so far.

Near as I can tell, it is almost identical to an ASUS N541LA with a different wireless chipset. In fact, if you go to download docs for the Q501LA, it downloads the manual for the N541LA.

The wireless card is ASUS part number AW-NB126H and appears to hold both the WiFi and Bluetooth functions. It looks like a half-length Mini PCI Express card, so it is probably upgradeable to a better WiFi.

There is an empty slot on the motherboard labelled SSD; it also looks like a Mini-PCI Express slot. I wonder if the N541LA has something in this slot.

Chris
celamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
celamantia

Motherboard

WiFi card

SSD slot

RAM

Battery

Chris
Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
celamantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcplante View Post
Yes, their screens are gorgeous. I still cling to the need for an optical drive, though, since I'll use it to watch DVDs on the road, etc.
The lack of an optical drive was the only thing that kept me from jumping at this the moment I saw it... I went back and forth between this and a similar Dell (for $100 more) that had the optical, but the 1920x1080 screen over the Dell's 1366x768, plus the backlit keyboard, won me over. I went ahead and bought an external LG drive at Best Buy but it feels so much slower than an internal unit.

The touchpad being offcenter is one of the things I dislike; I still haven't adapted and will probably eventually solve it with a Bluetooth mouse when I travel. When I am sitting down at home for serious work, I hook it up to my external monitor, keyboard and mouse anyway (also not a fan of chiclet keys but almost impossible to get anything else these days).

Chris
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
marcplante

just crack the case and plug in an SSD. It shouldn't void the warranty...YMMV Check with retailer, but it generally doesn't
marcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
celamantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarycow View Post
I ended up returning it the next day after finding out how slow the Qualcomm Atheros wireless chip set used by this model was. My setup is about 30 ft away from the wireless router, there is a sheet-rock wall in between and I constant got connected at about 500 Kbps which was way too slow compared to what my other two laptops could get from the same spot.
I just ordered an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 WIFI Bluetooth BT Mini PCI-E Card from eBay ($10 shipped!), we'll see if it works in place of the Atheros. Theoretically, with that change the laptop should support Intel wireless display.

Chris
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #23
Binarycow
Golden Member

I had to take my first unit back because of a defective keyboard. Bestbuy traded me for another unit, this one has the Intel wireless chipset in it. Wireless connection now is much better.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
RossMAN
Grand Nagus

Unless I can find a 10% off coupon, I think I'll pass on this laptop due to:
1) Call me old fashioned but I prefer black colored keys instead of that gray or whatever it is.
2) Possible Wifi issues.

Otherwise this looks like a great deal on a solid laptop.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
stoicblitzer

hey guys thanks for posting these pictures! the pics and discussion convinced me to buy one. i gotta say that i really love it. the hardware/finish and screen are amazing. no visible fan slots is really awesome. the finish is a fingerprint magnet though. without a clean install, it's decently fast. getting ready to do a clean install of 8.1 to see how fast it can be with the 5400rpm HDD before i shell out for an SSD.

i wanted to mention that mine came with the Intel 7260 dual band WiFi. Maybe I got a newer date of manufacture than previous poster? its been rock solid although I haven't tested range cuz my house is small, but it hasn't been dropping connection.

Is that "SSD slot" pictured above an mSATA slot? i've never used one before. can you confirm what i'm thinking about this? Option A) replace HDD with 2.5" SSD to reduce weight/power slightly, b) keep HDD and format OS partition + add mSSD w/ OS to mSATA slot so I can have more storage, C) add mSSD w/ OS to mSATA slot and remove HDD to reduce weight/power. am i correct?
stoicblitzer is offline   Reply With Quote