· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
nanaki333
Diamond Member

Default AMD Richland Gesture Control

Hey all!

I was reading about the gesture control but saw no reviews on it. I recently upgraded my A6 to a new A8 Richland to try it out, but to my surprise, the Desktop models don't support any of the new features AMD was touting. Is it really only mobile chips and I missed that somewhere?

EDIT: I ran the compatibility check AMD provides and the only thing available is the AMD App Zone. Gesture is grayed out along with everything else. I have the latest motherboard BIOS, since my board made me update before letting me use the new Richland APU.
Thermaltake Level 10 GT

Last edited by nanaki333; 06-27-2013 at 09:17 AM.
nanaki333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
sm625
Diamond Member

AMD Face Login is developed by Cyberlink. I'm not sure about the gesture control but it may be a safe assumption that they did that software too. You should contact them.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
nanaki333
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm625 View Post
AMD Face Login is developed by Cyberlink. I'm not sure about the gesture control but it may be a safe assumption that they did that software too. You should contact them.
there's a utility you can download to see if your system supports the software, then takes you to a page to download it. the parts for facial and gesture are grayed out though, as if i don't support them at all.
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Hitman928

I don't know for sure, but it was my understanding that the gesture software and facial recognition software was only going to be made available to OEM's as part of a "Richland package" so that they could incorporate the software into their offering. I don't think those features were ever meant to be made available to the end customer for download.
Hitman928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
fusion238
Banned

Did the comp check utility install a sys tray icon that you can enable/disable?

Is there an option to enable/disable AMD Gesture Control from loading at Windows start-up?

When AMD Gesture Control is running, there will be a system-tray icon visible. Right-click, and select, ‘Preferences.’ Check/Uncheck “Start with Windows” as desired.

1. AMD Gesture Control is designed to enable gesture recognition as a tool for controlling certain applications on your PC. Only available on upcoming AMD A10 and A8 APUs codenamed "Richland" and upcoming AMD A6 and A4 APUs codenamed "Temash.” Requires a web camera, and will only operate on PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system.

Supported Windows desktop apps include: Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader. Supported Windows Store apps include: Microsoft Photos, Microsoft Music, Microsoft Reader and Kindle. Performance may be degraded in low lighting or intensely-focused lighting environments.

fusion238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
nanaki333
Diamond Member

There is no icon anywhere. I can't even get the software to download because the compatibility checker says I do not meet the requirements.
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
nanaki333
Diamond Member

so i reinstalled drivers and plugged another webcam in and ran the amd compatibility check again... same thing. only the amd zone is available. i specifically bought this A8 for the gesture control. this is ridiculous.

http://www.amd.com/us/consumer/softw...e-control.aspx
Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
richierich1212
Platinum Member

seems like only notebook APUs are supported: http://www.amd.com/us/consumer/softw...x#get-software
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
VulgarDisplay
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion238 View Post
Did the comp check utility install a sys tray icon that you can enable/disable?

Is there an option to enable/disable AMD Gesture Control from loading at Windows start-up?

When AMD Gesture Control is running, there will be a system-tray icon visible. Right-click, and select, ‘Preferences.’ Check/Uncheck “Start with Windows” as desired.

1. AMD Gesture Control is designed to enable gesture recognition as a tool for controlling certain applications on your PC. Only available on upcoming AMD A10 and A8 APUs codenamed "Richland" and upcoming AMD A6 and A4 APUs codenamed "Temash.” Requires a web camera, and will only operate on PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system.

Supported Windows desktop apps include: Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader. Supported Windows Store apps include: Microsoft Photos, Microsoft Music, Microsoft Reader and Kindle. Performance may be degraded in low lighting or intensely-focused lighting environments.

Should this person disclose the fact that they work for amd because it is pretty obvious.

If you have a problem with the poster please open up a thread in Mod Discussions. But frankly I might be missing something here, because I don't see a problem with that post that would require anything to be done any differently.

-Thanks
ViRGE

Last edited by ViRGE; 06-30-2013 at 06:32 AM.
VulgarDisplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich1212 View Post
seems like only notebook APUs are supported: http://www.amd.com/us/consumer/softw...x#get-software
Seems like it would actually be more useful on a desktop since they don't have touchscreens. Could you use it as a kind of remote to control the metro interface? I hadn't really heard about this. It sounds kind of neat but I wonder how accurately it can read your movements.
frozentundra123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
nanaki333
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentundra123456 View Post
Seems like it would actually be more useful on a desktop since they don't have touchscreens. Could you use it as a kind of remote to control the metro interface? I hadn't really heard about this. It sounds kind of neat but I wonder how accurately it can read your movements.
yeah. makes no sense to make it work for only laptops. you're never very far away from the laptop, so why take your hands away from the keyboard/mouse to wave your hands? i was hoping to use this so i don't have to get up or reach my arm over to a remote. laziness and all

anyway, i dunno. i just know i'm upset about it.

if anybody has AMD gesture control working with their Richland, be it laptop or desktop, please let me know!
Thermaltake Level 10 GT