· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Dave3000

Default 3930k vs 4770k in X-plane 10 and FSX

Right now I have an i7-3930k and would like to know if it would be a waste of money to buy a 4770k and a Z87 motherboard next month and get rid of my 3930k. The only 2 games I have that are mostly CPU bound are FSX and X-plane 10 and I'm wondering if an i7-4770k would give me more than a 15% performance increase in these two games? As to people who are going to say to overclock my 3930k, same thing can be said about a 4770k, plus my 3930k is not a good overclocker, it won't run stable at 4.5Ghz at 1.3v with medium LLC, even when cores temps are under 80C, and something weird happened (not a BSOD, crash, or error messages) even at 4.2GHz at 1.28v without LLC, so I'm not sure even if 4.2GHz at 1.28v without LLC is stable on my 3930k as it stress tested for many hours without crashing or error messages but for that one weird thing that happened, so now I'm running my 3930k at stock settings. So how would an i7 4770k at 3.7Ghz turbo 4 cores compare to an i7-3930k at 3.5Ghz turbo 6 cores in these 2 games? I keep CPU power saving features turned off in the BIOS for performance reasons therefore turbo limited to all core turbo bin clocks and most likely would do the same if I had the i7-4770k as well.
Dave3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
aigomorla
Cases & Cooling

Cliff's

Should i downgrade from a SB-E hexcore and jump on intels new FailWell?
(i am looking at cpu raw performance...)

Answer:
No...
If the program is cpu bound... it would require a 4770k to be a lot faster then 5ghz... to match your hexcore even at 4.0ghz...

i think ud be happier not getting a new platform, and picking up a tier1 video card like: HD7970 or 780GTX or a titan even....
And see bigger boosts / bonuses..

Anandtech Case and Cooling Moderator
Anandtech's Watercooling God err Mod.

Last edited by aigomorla; 06-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
BallaTheFeared
Diamond Member

Since you could make money going from 2011 to 1150 and gain performance I think unless you actually need your rig for programs that take advantage of 4+ cores it's a good move.

Also the i5 is the gaming chip, the i7 really has nothing on it despite the cost increase. Assuming your rig is dedicated to gaming and using 2 cards or less 1150 is the best choice currently and will easily outpace 2011 even with Ivy-E at a fraction of the cost in gaming.
BallaTheFeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
cytg111
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3000 View Post
Right now I have an i7-3930k and would like to know if it would be a waste of money to buy a 4770k and a Z87 motherboard next month and get rid of my 3930k. The only 2 games I have that are mostly CPU bound are FSX and X-plane 10 and I'm wondering if an i7-4770k would give me more than a 15% performance increase in these two games? As to people who are going to say to overclock my 3930k, same thing can be said about a 4770k, plus my 3930k is not a good overclocker, it won't run stable at 4.5Ghz at 1.3v with medium LLC, even when cores temps are under 80C, and something weird happened (not a BSOD, crash, or error messages) even at 4.2GHz at 1.28v without LLC, so I'm not sure even if 4.2GHz at 1.28v without LLC is stable on my 3930k as it stress tested for many hours without crashing or error messages but for that one weird thing that happened, so now I'm running my 3930k at stock settings. So how would an i7 4770k at 3.7Ghz turbo 4 cores compare to an i7-3930k at 3.5Ghz turbo 6 cores in these 2 games? I keep CPU power saving features turned off in the BIOS for performance reasons therefore turbo limited to all core turbo bin clocks and most likely would do the same if I had the i7-4770k as well.
depends .. if those two games are not tapping into the fifth and sixth core, then yes, i'd say you could be looking at 15%+. But this is a case where you need hard numbers, you need to get someone with a haswell and otherwise equal setup to bench it for you.
Are you not GPU bound ? If so, it doesnt really matter.