· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Essence_of_War
Golden Member

Default Hulu, XBMC, and Roku

I currently have a Roku-set-top for my living room TV. It's mostly great! The one big issue that I have now, is that some Hulu content isn't available for Roku streaming.

I'm planning on cancelling my cable TV subscription, if hypothetically, I was running an HTPC based on say, XBMCbuntu, will I be able to access to all of the content on Hulu that's normally unavailable on Roku?
Win7 Ult 64-bit|i7-3770k @ 4.2 w/ CM 212 Hyper Evo|AsRock z77 Pro4|16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 |Samsung 840 250gb|Seagate Barracuda 2TB|Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT @ stock|Corsair TX650|Carbide 500R| u2412m|

Heatware
Essence_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
crashtestdummy
Platinum Member

There is a Hulu add-on for xbmc. It's unofficial, which means a few things:
  • It's not officially supported. In fact, Hulu would probably prefer that it not work at all.
  • It works not by a proprietary API but by using the Flash video from the website.
  • As a result, it can access anything on Hulu that you can get on a browser. That also means that you don't need a Hulu+ subscription to get current TV shows.
There are also add-ons for Amazon, PBS, and other broadcast and basic cable stations that works the same way. I will warn you that Netflix doesn't work well on XBMC if you have windows, and not at all if you have Linux. It has to do with the fact that Netflix uses Silverlight instead of Flash
crashtestdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Unheard
Diamond Member

FWIW, take a look @ a Raspberry PI running Xbian. Thats what I'm using ATM and it works wonders.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Face2Face
Diamond Member

You could install Plex and install the Hulu channel within Plex. It's a little clunky and temper-mental, but you may be able to get the shows that you are wanting?

Last edited by Face2Face; 04-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Face2Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
TSDible
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2Face View Post
You could install Plex and install the Hulu channel within Plex. It's a little clunky and temperamental, but you may be able to get the shows that you are wanting?
This is what I do on my HTPC. It is a bit clunky... but I still find it better than the Hulu Desktop application.

Heat
TSDible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post
I currently have a Roku-set-top for my living room TV. It's mostly great! The one big issue that I have now, is that some Hulu content isn't available for Roku streaming.

I'm planning on cancelling my cable TV subscription, if hypothetically, I was running an HTPC based on say, XBMCbuntu, will I be able to access to all of the content on Hulu that's normally unavailable on Roku?
I'm going to be cancelling cable next month and going this route too. Is there a list of whats not available with the Roku? What platform gives 100% access?

Last edited by Kneedragger; 04-16-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Kneedragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Face2Face
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger View Post
I'm going to be cancelling cable next month and going this route too. Is there there a list of whats not available with the Roku? What platform gives 100% access?
Not sure about a list?

I cancelled cable and now use OTA for the free stuff - (Fox,CBS,NBC,ABC,CW and etc...)
I also have Hulu+, which includes all of the OTA stations but has them on demand (Kind of like a DVR with commercials)
I have Netflix (Kids use that the most)
Then I use PLEX for all of my content - If you use USENET,Torrent or rip your movies - this is a great program.
You can also watch Plex content on your Roku, Smart phone, iPad and even share your content with other people.

I have thought about building an HTPC, but I like the flexibility I have now. I also built a Media server specifically for Plex use.

Last edited by Face2Face; 04-16-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Face2Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
piasabird
Lifer

I watch a lot of stuff on Crunchyroll, Vikki, and Dramafever because I am into Korean shows with subtitles. I stream it over the Internet with a PC (htpc without a tuner). I also have OTA content via an antenna. I cant afford to waste money on cable or satelite.

With the money you waste on cable you can afford to buy a PC every year or two plus all the DVDs you can watch.

Last edited by piasabird; 04-16-2013 at 10:15 AM.
piasabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2Face View Post
Not sure about a list?

I cancelled cable and now use OTA for the free stuff - (Fox,CBS,NBC,ABC,CW and etc...)
I also have Hulu+, which includes all of the OTA stations but has them on demand (Kind of like a DVR with commercials)
I have Netflix (Kids use that the most)
Then I use PLEX for all of my content - If you use USENET,Torrent or rip your movies - this is a great program.
You can also watch Plex content on your Roku, Smart phone, iPad and even share your content with other people.

I have thought about building an HTPC, but I like the flexibility I have now. I also built a Media server specifically for Plex use.
Thanks for the info. I use Xbmc so I don't think I will be trying Plex but the OTA service Hulu offers makes me happy.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
TSDible
Golden Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I use Xbmc so I don't think I will be trying Plex but the OTA service Hulu offers makes me happy.
I use the plex server, not the application. I use the plexbmc plugin to access it.

so for instance... CBS is NOT available on Hulu+. But I can watch full episodes using plex and xbmc.

I'm fairly new to the HTPC thing, so I'm still trying out a bunch of different setups.

Heat
TSDible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Essence_of_War
Golden Member

Quote:
I'm going to be cancelling cable next month and going this route too. Is there a list of whats not available with the Roku? What platform gives 100% access?
I don't know if there is a list, but I do know that web browser is the only reliable way to get all of it.
Win7 Ult 64-bit|i7-3770k @ 4.2 w/ CM 212 Hyper Evo|AsRock z77 Pro4|16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 |Samsung 840 250gb|Seagate Barracuda 2TB|Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT @ stock|Corsair TX650|Carbide 500R| u2412m|

Heatware
Essence_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote