· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Ns1
Lifer

Default Note 3 ETA?

I'm due for an upgrade next month. Pull the trigger on a Note 2, wait for iPhone5s, or wait for Note 3?

I hate the GS3 and I don't think I'll like the GS4 any better.

I'm currently on a 4s.
Ns1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Red Storm
Lifer

If you hate the S3/4, why would you like the Note 2? Is it just because of the size?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
s44
Diamond Member

ETA is about six months. I'd just get it.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
If you hate the S3/4, why would you like the Note 2? Is it just because of the size?
wacom style stylus implementation.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Red Storm
Lifer

Ah, makes sense. But how important is the stylus if you're also considering the 5s?

I'd imagine the Note 3 will come out in the fall.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
dougp
Diamond Member

What they said about the Note devices, we won't see one for another 8 months. Who's your provider? What about an HTC One?
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
AustinInDallas
Golden Member

Ive had every iphone at more or less launch day.

All current rumors point to an iphone 5s, with same screen and shape....
If this is true i will definitely be getting the note 3 when it comes out. Or if i cant wait that long a s4. I'm HUNGRY for a bigger screen and apple is so damn stubborn with making a bigger one.

edit: possibly look at the HTC one. Samsung: Is it too much to ask for forward facing speaker?
Antec Three Hundred Two

Heatware 0-0-0

Last edited by AustinInDallas; 04-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.
AustinInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
Ah, makes sense. But how important is the stylus if you're also considering the 5s?

I'd imagine the Note 3 will come out in the fall.
the stylus is the only thing that makes the note3 worthwhile to me. While the screen size is nice, I live and die off one handed operation. Soo if I can't get a stylus, then there is no reason for me to leave the apple ecosystem.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Ashenor
Golden Member

It's funny i have a official upgrade as of the 1st. I have upgraded 5 times since my last official one.

Just look on Craigslist for a Note 2, buy it and sell your 4s. It will cost you $200 probably overall after selling yours. Use that until the Note 3 or iPhone 5s comes out.

Had the iPhone 5 and sold it have the Note 2 and much prefer the size and overall day to day use of it.
Ashenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Midwayman
Platinum Member

If you hate the GS3, I doubt you'll love a note. I mean if you were "I like the GS3, but it could be better" the note might be for you. Pretty much everything you dislike about the GS3 will probably be the same or similar on the note. You don't use the stylus near as much as you think.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwayman View Post
If you hate the GS3, I doubt you'll love a note. I mean if you were "I like the GS3, but it could be better" the note might be for you. Pretty much everything you dislike about the GS3 will probably be the same or similar on the note. You don't use the stylus near as much as you think.
But when you do use it, it's great. Quick notes during a call, or at work (meetings) or school (lectures), sketching. It's also great for use during casual web browsing as you can cut and share photos from the web quickly.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
vi edit
Super Moderator

Stylus isn't going to push it over the edge functionality wise unless you think you'll absolutely use the crap out of it. I don't. But I wanted the screen size, the stylus was a perk that I use occassionaly.

If the S3/S4 are too big then a Note isn't going to change your opinion. You aren't using the stylus to text, make calls, navigate around screens, ect all things you are currently used to doing one handed. And I don't care about people that say you can do all of that one handed. Good for you if you can. But for most people the Note is a committment to 2 hands. You can organize and enable one handed mode to make some things easier, but it's still not the same as a true one hand sized device.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Ns1
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwayman View Post
My hands on experience with the GS3 led me to believe the GS3 was a sluggish POS, typical of the (old) android experience.

I've heard that the Note 2 is a beast (and the specs back that up), and can only assume the Note 3 even moreso. I would hope that by now android can use all this horsepower and make the experience smoother (butter?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post
You aren't using the stylus to text, make calls, navigate around screens, ect all things you are currently used to doing one handed. And I don't care about people that say you can do all of that one handed. Good for you if you can. But for most people the Note is a committment to 2 hands. You can organize and enable one handed mode to make some things easier, but it's still not the same as a true one hand sized device.
this is my primary concern.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Geekbabe
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Member

I adore my Note 2,this phone is a freaking beast! The battery life is terrific, the screen size is wonderful. If you need a phone now you should get one.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
vi edit
Super Moderator

The Note 2 is a very smooth device. Flipping between screens, scrolling, ect are all fast and smooth. There are quirks that I don't necessarily attribute to the hardware. It's either a function of touchwiz (samsung loader) or crappy app development for android.

Basically any app that is on both iOS and Android suck a lot more on Android. Slacker is terrible on Android. The fantasy sports apps are worse for yahoo and ESPN. Most music apps don't do lock screen controls. Lots of nagging messages asking about default apps (good and bad thing) and the wifi and cellular antennas are not as good as apple devices. Constantly get a bar or two less in many situations and the Note won't roam to the stronger access point like my iOS devices seemed to do better. Android also has a bigger issue with battery leaks (mentioned that in other threads too). My note burns 5% an hour in standby.

There's a lot I like that I simply can't get with iOS (or at least without Jailbreaking, if even then), but there's a lot that is frustrating too. I've said it in other threads but if Apple made a 5" phone I'd move back over to that side of the fence. App development, integration with things like BT profiles is better, and just basic reliability is better.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Ns1
Lifer

^^

thanks for the insight.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
dagamer34
Platinum Member

IFA 2013. Available in stores 1-1.5 months later. Eyxnos 5 Octa (all countries) at higher clocks. Full HD 1080p SAMOLED panel in 6" range. 2GB RAM.

Not that hard to predict.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
ChronoReverse
Golden Member

Make it 5.5" again and I'm probably sold.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Geekbabe
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi edit View Post
The Note 2 is a very smooth device. Flipping between screens, scrolling, ect are all fast and smooth. There are quirks that I don't necessarily attribute to the hardware. It's either a function of touchwiz (samsung loader) or crappy app development for android.

Basically any app that is on both iOS and Android suck a lot more on Android. Slacker is terrible on Android. The fantasy sports apps are worse for yahoo and ESPN. Most music apps don't do lock screen controls. Lots of nagging messages asking about default apps (good and bad thing) and the wifi and cellular antennas are not as good as apple devices. Constantly get a bar or two less in many situations and the Note won't roam to the stronger access point like my iOS devices seemed to do better. Android also has a bigger issue with battery leaks (mentioned that in other threads too). My note burns 5% an hour in standby.

There's a lot I like that I simply can't get with iOS (or at least without Jailbreaking, if even then), but there's a lot that is frustrating too. I've said it in other threads but if Apple made a 5" phone I'd move back over to that side of the fence. App development, integration with things like BT profiles is better, and just basic reliability is better.
It's funny how people with the exact same device can have totally different experiences isn't it? I have been noticing how much better my WiFi & cellular access is on my Note than it was on my G3 and it's a huge improvement over my Gnex. I was just at an event, in a situation where I would normally have difficulty with reception & the note never stumbled.

As far as battery goes, I get a full 10 hour day with heavy usage, if I'm just leaving the phone lying around on standby I've gone almost 3 days without a charge.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
NetGuySC
Golden Member

I'm waiting for the Note 3...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
dawheat
Golden Member

Make it 5.8 with minimal change in actual body size (a la S4), step up all the normal improvements, and I'm sold.
dawheat is offline   Reply With Quote