Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Merchandise and Shopping > Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
leeland
Diamond Member

Default Sam's Club Membership 45$ with Bonus 20$ gift card and 19.84$ in food vouchers

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/628922

Title basically says it all...and if you get three other peeps to sign up you get yours free.

Seems like a good deal, basically 5 dollars when it is said and done.

I have my 'secret link' which I am not sure I can post (self promotion)...but if anyone actually is planning on getting this deal and would be willing to use my link I would love to try to get it for free...

If so and it is acceptable, PM me.

Thanks for looking!

Lee

Last edited by leeland; 03-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.
leeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
EliteRetard
Platinum Member

Just curious, does anybody have both a Costco and a Sams Club membership? Or has anybody ever been in both? Just wondering how they compare. Like is Sams more clothing or food oriented or perhaps more furniture or office supplies or anything like that? Or do they both offer a small (bulk) selection of everything?

I have a Costco and a Sams Club both nearby. Don't really know what they carry or how they compare. I have no problems buying in bulk if its actually worthwhile (as in I save enough to make back the membership cost). I normally shop very rarely and stock up on the best sales when I see them at the regular stores.
EliteRetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Jimzz
Platinum Member

Both are not to far apart overall.

I prefer Costco myself. Better support/warranty and also quality.
Jimzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
tfinch2
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteRetard View Post
Just curious, does anybody have both a Costco and a Sams Club membership? Or has anybody ever been in both? Just wondering how they compare. Like is Sams more clothing or food oriented or perhaps more furniture or office supplies or anything like that? Or do they both offer a small (bulk) selection of everything?

I have a Costco and a Sams Club both nearby. Don't really know what they carry or how they compare. I have no problems buying in bulk if its actually worthwhile (as in I save enough to make back the membership cost). I normally shop very rarely and stock up on the best sales when I see them at the regular stores.
I go to Sam's about once a month, and stick to the following items:

Diapers
Baby wipes
Dish washing liquid
Laundry detergent
Dog food

We usually browse the store when we go, and get a few odds and ends (baby clothes, couple of one-off food items, electronics).

I also exclusively get gas from Sam's as it is on my way to work.

I usually do not pay for membership as I try to catch deals like these. The last time I did the $100 GC "Gift of membership".

We used to have a Costco membership, but it is way to crowded when we are able to go (Weekends).
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Gustavus
Golden Member

To the person who asked if anyone had memberships at both Sam's Club and Costco. We do, because although they overlap in many areas, there are enough items whose quality or nature is distinct to one or the other to justify the multiple memberships. To give a few examples, Costco has the two coffees we use -- Kirtland (their brand) and San Francisco Bay French roast beans which alone would make us keep the Costco membership. They also have a number of household items -- toilet tissue, detergent, etc -- rated best buys by Consumer Reports. On the other hand, they are quite a bit more costly for tires, auto batteries etc than Sams Club. The bakery alone would be enough to make us keep the Sams Club membership -- their croissants are better than any other bakery in the city -- and their meat counter is the best we have found. On the other hand, Costco does very well in the fish department.

The bottom line is that every year we debate about whether to keep both memberships, but when we consider the items unique to each one that we use and depend on we always renew both memberships.

Oh, and we use the Sams Club pharmacy for all prescriptions.
Gustavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Xponential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavus View Post
To the person who asked if anyone had memberships at both Sam's Club and Costco. We do, because although they overlap in many areas, there are enough items whose quality or nature is distinct to one or the other to justify the multiple memberships. To give a few examples, Costco has the two coffees we use -- Kirtland (their brand) and San Francisco Bay French roast beans which alone would make us keep the Costco membership. They also have a number of household items -- toilet tissue, detergent, etc -- rated best buys by Consumer Reports. On the other hand, they are quite a bit more costly for tires, auto batteries etc than Sams Club. The bakery alone would be enough to make us keep the Sams Club membership -- their croissants are better than any other bakery in the city -- and their meat counter is the best we have found. On the other hand, Costco does very well in the fish department.

The bottom line is that every year we debate about whether to keep both memberships, but when we consider the items unique to each one that we use and depend on we always renew both memberships.

Oh, and we use the Sams Club pharmacy for all prescriptions.

Thanks for the well-written, detailed response. I've been wondering for a while how the two compared. I know my old roommate raved about Sam's meat department, their steaks were quite good.
Xponential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
ponyo
Lifer

Sam's is slightly cheaper for the same products and their products are geared more for small businesses and restaurants. I prefer Costco for their Kirkland brand and slightly higher quality items but you do pay a premium in both membership price and item cost.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
PottedMeat
Lifer

I've had both overlap for the last ~2 months.

Sams has cheaper pork and beef but Costco has far better seafood ( they have fresh bass which Sams never had )

They carry the same baking essentials (flour/sugar/yeast,etc.) but Costco seems to only carry double the amount - the price is the same per pound though.

Costco's food court has many more choices than Sams.
PottedMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
notposting
Platinum Member

Wife has worked for Costco for over ten years. I feel like a traitor lol...how to explain this in the morning...hmmm...
notposting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteRetard View Post

We had both for a while, but eventually dropped the Sam's club. I am sure it varies from store to store, but in my area, Costco is a much better shoping experience than Sam's overall. Cleaner, better organized store, more high quality merchandise. I would say for sure, Costco has nicer clothes and electronics, at least in my area. Food is good in both. My wife is a big fan of costco, but you have to shop carefully. Some things are a good deal, but others can be found cheaper in Walmart or Target.

Edit: Or you end up with a huge amount of some particular item that seems too good to pass up but that you can never possibly use.

Last edited by frozentundra123456; 03-04-2013 at 11:54 PM.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
stargazr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentundra123456 View Post
Edit: Or you end up with a huge amount of some particular item that seems too good to pass up but that you can never possibly use.
This is a good point for perishable items. The bakery is pretty good, but we usually can't use the larger amounts up before it goes stale.

I have a free Sam's membership (gf works there); I get meat & cheese etc from deli, spices, coffee, canned goods, chips, dog food and rawhide chewies.

Sometimes they have good deals on clothes. Gas is generally around at least $0.05/gal cheaper than area stations.

I'd like to have a Costco membership too, but can't really afford it right now.
stargazr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
mikeford
Diamond Member

Both stores I think are "ok" for people to come in and look around. I always ask, but have never been denied. For some big ticket items if they have what you want its worth the annual fee.

Sams used to have one day pass coupons floating around all the time, which was sufficient for what I was buying.

Walmart GC also used to be good at Sams, but I don't know if they now require membership.

Good to check with whatever company you work for as many have discount memberships .
mikeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
SunRey
Platinum Member

Thank You!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
hans007
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post
Both stores I think are "ok" for people to come in and look around. I always ask, but have never been denied. For some big ticket items if they have what you want its worth the annual fee.

Sams used to have one day pass coupons floating around all the time, which was sufficient for what I was buying.

Walmart GC also used to be good at Sams, but I don't know if they now require membership.

Good to check with whatever company you work for as many have discount memberships .
if you want to buy stuff at costco without a membership you can always just buy gift cards on their website.

they have to let you spend them so you dont need a costco membership. have to prepare ahead of time i guess.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Xtrem

My parents have both, Sams club does have great croissants but it doesn't seem to have a lot of people going there. Costco can get very crowded and checkout lines seem to be long
Xtrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
CrystalBay
Platinum Member

Costco has mostly better food products "Kirkland" , way longer lines, parking jams and jacked up their membership fee. So I go to Sam's now.

Stock MOTO X on 4.4.4

Go 9ers
CrystalBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #17
mikeford
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
if you want to buy stuff at costco without a membership you can always just buy gift cards on their website.

they have to let you spend them so you dont need a costco membership. have to prepare ahead of time i guess.
Looks like only members can buy them.

From Costco website.
You must be a Costco member to purchase or reload Costco Cash Cards. Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and online at Costco.com or on Costco.ca. Costco Cash balances may be used toward membership or merchandise.
mikeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
kmmatney
Diamond Member

I get a free Sam's club membership through work, but usually find it a waste of time everytime a go there. My work used to have CostCo memberships, and that was much better. If I had to pay for one, it would be CostCo - they just have better merchandise. I've found that the stuff we've bought from Sam's can be bought from our local SuperWalmart at a lower cost, and less hassle. Sam's Club isn't very crowded for a reason - it doesn't offer much for your membership. I'd be surprised if they are still in business in another 5 years.
Soyo Topaz 24" MVA LCD
Corsair TX650W PSU / Antec P182
256GB M4 SSD
kmmatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Rassi

Can this be used to extend a membership if you already have one?
Rassi is offline   Reply With Quote