· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
MadScientist
Golden Member

Default Comcast's 6 Strike Rule started this Wednesday

Comcast has implemented its 6 strike rule this Wednesday. Info on Comcast's website: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...pyrightalerts/

Arstechnica has a bit more info on it. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...rt-looks-like/

The question was asked on the Comcast forum if your internet service would be shut down after 6 strikes. A Comcast employee replied no.
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Custome...95521#U1595521
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i5-2500K @4.6 Ghz, 1.340V, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Corsair A70, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 @1.575V,Seasonic M12II 620W PSU, MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Samsung SH-S223B, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
diesbudt
Diamond Member

So basically do not copyright or steal.

Sounds basic enough
diesbudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Pardus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
Comcast has implemented its 6 strike rule this Wednesday. Info on Comcast's website: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...pyrightalerts/

Arstechnica has a bit more info on it. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...rt-looks-like/

The question was asked on the Comcast forum if your internet service would be shut down after 6 strikes. A Comcast employee replied no.
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Custome...95521#U1595521
the whole point of the 6 strikes thing is to set up evidence trails for lawsuits, if you can prove willful and repeated to a judge, its a slam dunk. this IP belonged to him. yes, he is a subscriber. yes, this traffic passed through our servers. riaa and mpaa will be going lawsuit crazy.

if they want to defeat piracy, give the people what they want........
movies > use netflix
games > use gamefly
music > use spotify
commercial apps > freeware alternatives for everything

torrents also open yourself up to viruses and malware among other things.

time warner is going to send the warning email to your default account, if you don't use that email account, you'll never see it. also, if you don't use the isp's dns/block ads, you'll never see the browser warning message.

hopefully streaming from netflix won't trigger a warning.

Last edited by Pardus; 03-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Printer Bandit
Lifer

is this retro active? do previous copyright notices act against you?
Printer Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo View Post
the whole point of the 6 strikes thing is to set up evidence trails for lawsuits, if you can prove willful and repeated to a judge, its a slam dunk. this IP belonged to him. yes, he is a subscriber. yes, this traffic passed through our servers. riaa and mpaa will be going lawsuit crazy.

Sorry IP =/= person.

Thats liek a idiot gun banner getting you life in jail as your gun matched the bullets left in a several dead bodys so since you owned the gun you go to jail for the deaths. No we can't prove you pulled the trigger or were there etc... but your gun = you by default.
Jimzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Don Vito Corleone
Elite

I have friends who routinely download Top Gear (UK) through Torrent, a practice the BBC seems to have tacitly permitted (they have even joked about it on the show). They do so only because this is the only way to get the full, unedited show. This is the only form of arguably illegal downloading they ever do. I wonder whether this Comcast crackdown would consider that violative conduct?

"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" - Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI
Don Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito Corleone View Post
I have friends who routinely download Top Gear (UK) through Torrent, a practice the BBC seems to have tacitly permitted (they have even joked about it on the show). They do so only because this is the only way to get the full, unedited show. This is the only form of arguably illegal downloading they ever do. I wonder whether this Comcast crackdown would consider that violative conduct?

I think comcast and other providers don't go looking they wait for HBO or others to tell them. So if the BBC does not care, or those that have rights over that show, then it will not count.

"Content companies routinely monitor online activity to see if their content is being improperly used or shared. If the company that owns the content observes activity indicating that it appears to have been uploaded or downloaded improperly, the content owner can note the IP address and Internet Service Provider (ISP) that issued that IP address to one of its subscribers."
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
techs
Lifer

IMHO the real issue we are going to see is a huge amount of phishing emails saying they are from Comcast. As soon as the copyright alerts make it to the general publics knowledge the fun and games will begin.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
SheHateMe
Diamond Member

Comcast will only catch idiot file sharers in their net. That's about it.
SheHateMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
IMHO the real issue we are going to see is a huge amount of phishing emails saying they are from Comcast. As soon as the copyright alerts make it to the general publics knowledge the fun and games will begin.
Realistically they are only concerned about the common file sharing, like torrents and direct connect and similar things. They will probably ignore emails with copyrighted pictures and that kind of nonsense.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
MadScientist
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techs View Post
The scammers will probably have no problem also duplicating the Comcast symbol.
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...opyright-alert
Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i5-2500K @4.6 Ghz, 1.340V, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Corsair A70, Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB, 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 @1.575V,Seasonic M12II 620W PSU, MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Samsung SH-S223B, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheHateMe View Post
Comcast will only catch idiot file sharers in their net. That's about it.

Yep the big DL/UL's are using VPN/Proxy's... I hear.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
shortylickens
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzz View Post
Yep the big DL/UL's are using VPN/Proxy's... I hear.
Umm, your ISP is whats getting data to YOU. There is no way to hide from it, theres no way to work around it.
Unless maybe you share encrypted ZIPs and get the passwords at another time.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Jimzz
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortylickens View Post
Umm, your ISP is whats getting data to YOU. There is no way to hide from it, theres no way to work around it.
Unless maybe you share encrypted ZIPs and get the passwords at another time.

The ISP is not the one looking or reporting. Its still the content "owners" who are looking and then reporting to comcast, verzion, etc... and now they have the 6strike rule.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

They can all say what they want about how well this process works, but I see alot more of this happening:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthre...079&highlight=

And yes, it's still the content owners that are looking and reporting. Of course, that cost will be yet another thing taken out of the consumers pockets from both the content owners and the ISP. Someone has to get paid for the "service".

The best part of all this is the part where YOU have to pay $35 to appeal. It's guilty until proven innocent. Can't wait for all laws to be this way.

The World Needs a Reset Button.

Last edited by ImpulsE69; 03-01-2013 at 10:30 AM.
ImpulsE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
Wyndru
Diamond Member

I have a feeling there will be a lot of new "someone is illegally using my wireless" claims coming soon.
Wyndru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Newbian
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndru View Post
I have a feeling there will be a lot of new "someone is illegally using my wireless" claims coming soon.
Too bad it won't work as it's your responsibility they say.
Newbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

Yea, I can personally say that's exactly what they say. Of course, not sure how well that will fly with your grandma or grandpa getting accused of downloading the newest AAA game. I see alot of useless legal battles coming up. But the truth is it DOES happen, and with this new rule, will happen even more.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Wyndru
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbian View Post
Too bad it won't work as it's your responsibility they say.
Would that also be the case if it is their device? After my fios was installed, I immediately logged into the router and started mac address filtering, but if I had left it alone and someone cracked the password they gave me, wouldn't that be the ISP's fault?

IIRC, my mother-in law's ISP provided device was even set with WEP (by the ISP). I changed it to WPA2 to make it a little more secure.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
randomrogue
Diamond Member

I don't understand why you guys even use comcast. I never hear anything good about them.
randomrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Wyndru
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrogue View Post
I don't understand why you guys even use comcast. I never hear anything good about them.
I agree based on past issues with comcast, but regarding this...FIOS is doing this too (6 strike), and I'm sure TWC has something similar coming as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
Newbian
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndru View Post
Would that also be the case if it is their device? After my fios was installed, I immediately logged into the router and started mac address filtering, but if I had left it alone and someone cracked the password they gave me, wouldn't that be the ISP's fault?

IIRC, my mother-in law's ISP provided device was even set with WEP (by the ISP). I changed it to WPA2 to make it a little more secure.
Never stopped them from blaming the owner before.
Newbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
darkxshade
Lifer

I just struck out
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
ImpulsE69
Diamond Member

Quote:
This has nothing to do with comcast. All ISP's are enforcing this (at least a majority of them are). Not sure if they are all handling it the same.

**Edit, their info in the link for who is doing this is incorrect, unless it is based off who owns what backbones. As far as I know, my ISP is not owned by any of these groups.

Last edited by ImpulsE69; 03-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
Pardus
Banned

Quote:
Some areas only have one provider to choose from for internet.
Tell ISPs: No "Six Strikes" Plan -- Or We'll Take Our Business Elsewhere
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote