Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Social > Off Topic

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
preslove
Lifer
 
preslove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 15,786
Default Anybody ever buy Zenni Optical's 'Gradient Lens Tint'

Are they any good? I want to get some aviators and am thinking of Amber lenses on a gold frame.

Gradient Lens Tint :
Quote:
A lens tint will color and darken your lenses, for use as sunglasses. Gradient tints are darker at the top than at the bottom of the lens. They will have an 80% sunglass level tint at the top. If you wish to have a lighter tint, or a uniform color from top to bottom, please select from the Solid Tints.

This is a permanent tint on the lens, not to be confused with the Photochromic lens which changes shade according to the amount of sunlight.

All of our eyeglass lenses, tinted or clear, have full 100% UV protection built-in to protect the eyes from harmful sunrays.



Since the brightness and tint density displayed can vary on each monitor for the identical image, even on those hooked up to the same computer, the color examples displayed above may not be an exact match to the tint you will receive. Nevertheless, the color chart above should give you a good indication of how they will look.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by: binister
i find preslove guilty of being awesome
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
dr150
Diamond Member
 
dr150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Close to Coast
Posts: 5,727
Default

Zenni tints are acceptable. You shouldn't have an issue.
dr150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
CZroe
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Newnan, GA, USA
Posts: 14,227
Default

Are we talking about some kind of tinting film? If so, I want to make a tinted motorcycle face shield with triangular eyes to simulate Captain Falcon's glowing eyes on his shaded face. Would this stuff help?

Mirror tint eyes would probably do the trick as long as the tint was about the same level as the dark tint and it was cut with no overlap. I just need to find mirror tint with appropriate dark tint.
__________________
Me too. -Braindead AOLer
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,865
Default

I imagine one of those miami 1980's drug dealers wearing glasses like that.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
CA19100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 463
Default

Honestly, I tried Zenni once, and the product was absolute garbage. It's priced as cheap Chinese junk because that's exactly what it is. It seemed like a bargain, but it truly isn't.
CA19100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Howard
Lifer
 
Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 47,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA19100 View Post
Honestly, I tried Zenni once, and the product was absolute garbage. It's priced as cheap Chinese junk because that's exactly what it is. It seemed like a bargain, but it truly isn't.
Maybe it was just a bad item from their lineup. I've ordered from them multiple times and those products were used for years.
__________________
mugs, Crono for Elite

Kitchen stuff
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
mnewsham
Lifer
 
mnewsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Under the covers
Posts: 11,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA19100 View Post
Honestly, I tried Zenni once, and the product was absolute garbage. It's priced as cheap Chinese junk because that's exactly what it is. It seemed like a bargain, but it truly isn't.
3 1/2 years of using them and to be honest unless you have really bad eyes it is really good.

For the more expensive indexes I can understand wanting it done locally and such, but for me I can get cheap throw away glasses for ~$20-30 a pair and my transitions were maybe 100 bucks, compared to $150 for basic and $200+ for transitions locally.

I have 1 pair of transitions and 3 back up pairs that are just plain old no frills.
__________________
1920x1080, R7 260 1GB GDDR5, 16GB 2400Mhz DDR3, AMD A10-7850k @4.4Ghz, 480GB SSD, 2x240GB SSD, Windows 8.1
mnewsham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
shortylickens
No Lifer
 
shortylickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA19100 View Post
Honestly, I tried Zenni once, and the product was absolute garbage. It's priced as cheap Chinese junk because that's exactly what it is. It seemed like a bargain, but it truly isn't.
I found it to be the same quality as Lenscrafters at a small fraction of the price.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean L View Post
I'm getting sick of navigating this tech forum. Since when do nerds speak in parables and passive aggressive tones?

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
preslove
Lifer
 
preslove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 15,786
Default

I have a strong prescription, so the $35 1.67 High-Index lenses is pretty hard to beat.

I got two pair. A pair of these with dark grey gradient lenses: http://www.zennioptical.com/catalog/...rame/category/

And this pair: http://www.zennioptical.com/catalog/...rimless-frame/

$153 shipped for both. Given the high index frames, I'd be looking at probably triple the price at a local place. I got a cheap pair of half-rimless with my recent eye exam for $130 after tax., which was after they knocked $50 off as I told them I was considering online. Full rimless are more expensive, as are tinted lenses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by: binister
i find preslove guilty of being awesome
What is jesus's middle name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ns1 View Post
...I was in it for the mutton kebabs but found myself eating penis. It happens.
preslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
SpatiallyAware
Lifer
 
SpatiallyAware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 12,865
Default

Fwiw, those of you with strong prescriptions and getting high index lenses.. Look up chromatic aberration in high index lenses. I used to wear the high index stuff but have since gone back to simple plastic since my scrip is not that strong.

Long story short, regular plastic has much better optical quality than any of the high index stuff. If you can deal with the thickness (especially for around the house glasses) I would go with plastic.
SpatiallyAware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
cheezmunky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 295
Default

I needed a new pair of glasses, and I'm pretty freakin' blind. Because of my extremely poor eyesight I've always dismissed these online companies and ordered from the eye doctor. I had some money from a previous job in an HSA account, so I didn't worry too much about price anyways. They ended up costing $97 for a frame and $278 for lenses. In the past they've always been around $200, but when they're pushing $400 for some plastic I find that to just be ridiculous.

I decided that it would be nice to have some prescription sunglasses for driving, so I looked into Zenni. I ended up getting a $15 plastic frame and paying another $60 for high index lenses, anti-reflective coating, 80% tint, etc. Overall cost: $80 shipped.

I ordered them Feb 2 and they arrived this week, on the 19th. I'm not sure what took so long to get them. USPS said they had the electronic info on the 12th but didn't process it into the facility until the 16th. Whether that was due to Zenni or USPS, who knows, but a little over two weeks didn't seem too bad for high prescription glasses, even if it was longer than their advertised shipping times.

The quality of the product is definitely worse than the glasses I ordered for $375. The frames creak and crack whenever I bend them unlike the more expensive pair. The lenses seem to be a different prescription than those from the optometrist as well. This could just be due to a slightly different viewing angle, however. It does change if I rotate the lenses a little; it just takes a few minutes to get used to switching between glasses. I haven't yet worn them for a prolonged period of time (always been <30 mins) to see if it causes any type of fatigue issues. I don't think it will; I can see everything just fine, only a little differently.

Overall, the quality was less. The prescription seemed a little different. I find it hard, however, to justify paying 4.5x as much at the eye doctor. This could change after wearing them an hour or more, but I don't think it will.

Back to the OP, haven't used the gradient tint, but I have used the 80% gray solid tint, and the quality is just fine.
__________________
Aburrr
cheezmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
mnewsham
Lifer
 
mnewsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Under the covers
Posts: 11,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezmunky View Post
I needed a new pair of glasses, and I'm pretty freakin' blind. Because of my extremely poor eyesight I've always dismissed these online companies and ordered from the eye doctor. I had some money from a previous job in an HSA account, so I didn't worry too much about price anyways. They ended up costing $97 for a frame and $278 for lenses. In the past they've always been around $200, but when they're pushing $400 for some plastic I find that to just be ridiculous.

I decided that it would be nice to have some prescription sunglasses for driving, so I looked into Zenni. I ended up getting a $15 plastic frame and paying another $60 for high index lenses, anti-reflective coating, 80% tint, etc. Overall cost: $80 shipped.

I ordered them Feb 2 and they arrived this week, on the 19th. I'm not sure what took so long to get them. USPS said they had the electronic info on the 12th but didn't process it into the facility until the 16th. Whether that was due to Zenni or USPS, who knows, but a little over two weeks didn't seem too bad for high prescription glasses, even if it was longer than their advertised shipping times.

The quality of the product is definitely worse than the glasses I ordered for $375. The frames creak and crack whenever I bend them unlike the more expensive pair. The lenses seem to be a different prescription than those from the optometrist as well. This could just be due to a slightly different viewing angle, however. It does change if I rotate the lenses a little; it just takes a few minutes to get used to switching between glasses. I haven't yet worn them for a prolonged period of time (always been <30 mins) to see if it causes any type of fatigue issues. I don't think it will; I can see everything just fine, only a little differently.

Overall, the quality was less. The prescription seemed a little different. I find it hard, however, to justify paying 4.5x as much at the eye doctor. This could change after wearing them an hour or more, but I don't think it will.

Back to the OP, haven't used the gradient tint, but I have used the 80% gray solid tint, and the quality is just fine.

Zenni ships from China IIRC so it will take 2-4 weeks for shipping. Also make sure you had your PD (pupillary distance) measured correctly.
__________________
1920x1080, R7 260 1GB GDDR5, 16GB 2400Mhz DDR3, AMD A10-7850k @4.4Ghz, 480GB SSD, 2x240GB SSD, Windows 8.1
mnewsham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
cheezmunky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewsham View Post
Zenni ships from China IIRC so it will take 2-4 weeks for shipping. Also make sure you had your PD (pupillary distance) measured correctly.
Good idea. I had the PD measured by my optometrist, but I'll try on the measuring guide that came with the glasses and see what it shows.
__________________
Aburrr
cheezmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
CA19100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Maybe it was just a bad item from their lineup. I've ordered from them multiple times and those products were used for years.
They were simple single-vision glasses. The first pair gave me an instant headache; so bad that I couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes. I had my eye doctor look at them, and he said the optical centers of the lenses weren't anywhere close to where they should be. I had Zenni re-make them under warranty, and the new pair was just as bad. I just threw them in a drawer and considered it a lesson learned.

The frames were fine, but they have absolutely no idea what they're doing with optics.
CA19100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
mnewsham
Lifer
 
mnewsham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Under the covers
Posts: 11,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA19100 View Post
They were simple single-vision glasses. The first pair gave me an instant headache; so bad that I couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes. I had my eye doctor look at them, and he said the optical centers of the lenses weren't anywhere close to where they should be. I had Zenni re-make them under warranty, and the new pair was just as bad. I just threw them in a drawer and considered it a lesson learned.

The frames were fine, but they have absolutely no idea what they're doing with optics.
I call BS unless you entered your information incorrectly, one wrong misclick is all it takes to screw it up.

Everything I have had has been just fine for my eyes, I have had 7-8 pair from them now.
__________________
1920x1080, R7 260 1GB GDDR5, 16GB 2400Mhz DDR3, AMD A10-7850k @4.4Ghz, 480GB SSD, 2x240GB SSD, Windows 8.1
mnewsham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
CA19100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewsham View Post
I call BS unless you entered your information incorrectly, one wrong misclick is all it takes to screw it up.
No mis-clicks, I assure you. It wasn't just that the pupillary distance was wrong -- they weren't even lined up. The optical center of one lens was about a centimeter above the other, and neither was aligned with my eye horizontally. The left lens center was above and to the right of the eye, and the right lens was below and to the left. Totally unusable.

Glad you've had good luck; I'm just relaying that I've had the exact opposite experience. After two completely unusable pairs, I won't be trying them again.
CA19100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
shortylickens
No Lifer
 
shortylickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 54,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA19100 View Post
No mis-clicks, I assure you. It wasn't just that the pupillary distance was wrong -- they weren't even lined up. The optical center of one lens was about a centimeter above the other, and neither was aligned with my eye horizontally. The left lens center was above and to the right of the eye, and the right lens was below and to the left. Totally unusable.

Glad you've had good luck; I'm just relaying that I've had the exact opposite experience. After two completely unusable pairs, I won't be trying them again.
I've had a total of about 1 dozen pairs, all good.
Several basic sets, a few colored sets, one goggle, and one shooting glasses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean L View Post
I'm getting sick of navigating this tech forum. Since when do nerds speak in parables and passive aggressive tones?

Say what your observation is or move on... I keep saying it and I'll say it again. These posts add absolutely no value besides a +1 to your post count.
shortylickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
MaxineCurtis
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Default Zenni Glasses

I have just received my glasses from Zenni Optical, we ordered them on the 4th April, and they arrived today 15th April at 8a.m. All I can say is that I am absolutely over the moon with them, exactly what I ordered and wanted, they are Multifocal, also Transitional, the Service from Zenni Optical is amazing, and the service is excellent as well. This is the first time I have bought my glasses online, as I was abit worried about the perscription, but they also get you to send the original prescription via email, just to verify you havent made a mistake.We live in Queensland and I will definately be using and Telling my friends about Zenni Optical...
MaxineCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
DCal430
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,699
Default

The one thing that sucks with them is they do NOT offer prescription sun glasses, the transition ones, do NOT work in a car,so they are useless for driving. I ended up paying $200 for prescription Rayban sunglasses at Costco.
__________________
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
-Abraham Lincoln
DCal430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.