· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #176
Olikan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeNt View Post
Those are all wrongly attributed to a weak government and lack of regulation. All those problems are caused by very specific regulations as a result of cronyism.
please explain, i wanna hear the other side
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #177
zinfamous
No Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA View Post
Which is interesting because Government makes a ton of rules/laws that favor existing businesses, thus creating monopolies duopolies. That's what lobbiests do, they use government to make it harder for others to get into the game. A free market where government only regulates safety would eliminate that. that's not what happens now.
exactly. the reality is that all arguments are inherently true: free market is very good. free market is very bad. regulation is very good. regulation is very bad.

People that think in terms of black and white/absolutism really have no basis in reality. It's about leveraging the beneficial aspects of these concepts and minimizing those that serve to stymy the common good.
mentally he's such a klutz
his head is made of 50 butts
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #178
Olikan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
exactly. the reality is that all arguments are inherently true: free market is very good. free market is very bad. regulation is very good. regulation is very bad.

People that think in terms of black and white/absolutism really have no basis in reality. It's about leveraging the beneficial aspects of these concepts and minimizing those that serve to stymy the common good.
....free market works well in many places, but not at health industry

you can't have free market with patented drugs, hospitals become a monopoly in minor citys

no company will find a cure for rare diseases, simply because there is no demand for it... but we will have pretty good and cheap anti-flu and headache remedies

health industry shouldn't be controled by the government...it should be a state industry

Last edited by Olikan; 02-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Olikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #179
sm625
Diamond Member

There shouldnt even be an IRS. The reason the country is being bent over the table for this latest salvo is because they bent over for things like the IRS. And yes you can frickin fund a government without a gigantic bloated bureaucracy steadily feeding inside information to the highest frickin bidder. The IRS is a pen full of pigs rolling in crap. You replace that entire rotten edifice with a flat tax regimen that requires less than 10% of the staff to implement. All drug money and gang money gets taxed. Lobbying ends because the tax breaks end. It is the singular greatest thing this country could do to free itself from this mafia, but no one gives a damn. Pathetic. All you are are just frickin pathetic. If you want to blame anyone blame yourself, because you never did a DAMN thing to fix it. You chirp away like birds on a wire over this small time obama crap. But you never do a DAMN thing to really fix anything. Did you ever even vote for one person who was for abolishing the IRS? I doubt it.
AT forum member #1: Buy a 4790k

I am looking for a way to get 10 more fps in TF2.
AT forum member #2: Buy a 4790k
sm625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #180
momeNt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olikan View Post
please explain, i wanna hear the other side
Internet is regulated with service agencies getting monopolies from local government to use the public easements of utility poles and the like.

Healthcare is highly regulated with the HMO law with insurance and complicated licensing and pharmaceutical approvals.

Financial crisis is purely the cause of a highly regulated banking system controlled by a federal entity.

I guess the problem with these regulations is they didn't go far enough right? Instead of just giving for-profit ISPs monopolies on the easement the internet needs to be provided by the local government itself.

Healthcare isn't regulated enough maybe, HMO providing uniformity of insurance didn't go far enough, it created incentives for chasing profit not by differentiating coverage, but by wiggling and denying as much coverage as possible. Create more regulation and have oversight for insurance companies, or nationalize the healthcare.

Financial crisis could have been averted with more regulation. Regulate how much debt individuals could take out, regulate bank leverage, anything left unregulated should now be regulated and it will be fixed.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #181
Mxylplyx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcG View Post
Healthcare CAN be provided through a system of voluntary exchange (no pooling of public funds or regulations required), just like cheap, quality pencils can be produced through a system of voluntary exchange.
Only problem being if the price of pencil's gets too high I'll just go buy a pen. If the cost of healthcare gets too high I'll either die or spend myself into bankruptcy trying to get treated.
Mxylplyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #182
momeNt
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxylplyx View Post
Only problem being if the price of pencil's gets too high I'll just go buy a pen. If the cost of healthcare gets too high I'll either die or spend myself into bankruptcy trying to get treated.
We've done SO much to the market that we can't possibly derive what a free-exchange price would be. Can't even probably begin to have the discussion.

I mean, just to start, what level of education do you think is needed for someone to do a yearly checkup, check weights, blood tests, and then refer to a more specialized person if there is a problem. Do you think it requires 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and a 4 year residency to begin taking patients for yearly checkups? Probably not, but that's what we require.

If the barriers to entry in pencils were so high, and pens didn't exist, we would have ObamaPen, that's for sure.
momeNt is offline   Reply With Quote