· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
x26

Default iphone 5--16mb or 32mb--Which should I get??

Hi;

iphone 5--16mb or 32mb--Which should I get??

I have iphone 4 with 16mb and it's more than enough but may want to start taking video's with new iphone 5--

I know video takes lots of space--is there some way to readily transfer video to my PC or Cloud/Skydrive so I don't have to spend extra $100.00 for a miserable 16mb more??(apple really rheems you on storage cost)

Thanks in Advance!!
x26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Pedroc1999

sorry to point this out but do you mean 32 GIGABYTES?
Pedroc1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
dougp
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Hi;

iphone 5--16mb or 32mb--Which should I get??

I have iphone 4 with 16mb and it's more than enough but may want to start taking video's with new iphone 5--

I know video takes lots of space--is there some way to readily transfer video to my PC or Cloud/Skydrive so I don't have to spend extra $100.00 for a miserable 16mb more??(apple really rheems you on storage cost)

Thanks in Advance!!

Regardless if it's 16mb or 32mb, you'll definently need some cloud storage.
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
pm
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I use dropbox to transfer photos and videos. Dropbox for iOS is not as seamless as under Android (or Windows) in that you have to have click the Dropbox app on iOS to start the transfer but it does work well enough.

Still the question about 16GB vs. 32GB is mostly about how much annoyance there will be sitting at 16GB. To me, I only spend money when I have to, not when I think I might maybe need to in the future. So if I'm constantly hitting the 16GB limit on my phone and I have to do weird things to shuffle more space, then I'd spend the money for 32GB, but I don't think that I would do it unless I already had a problem that I'd been dealing with.

I mean worst-case, you get 16GB and you have to move videos off to take more videoes... and you need to judge how long the videos are (and thus how large) and how annoying that would have to be and how often it would happen. But for me - and since you are asking for advice, I'll give you my opinion - I would get the 16GB and then wait for the problem to happen and then deal with the problem by shuffling things around and then if it's super annoying then next upgrade get the 32GB.
pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
x26

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm View Post
I use dropbox to transfer photos and videos. Dropbox for iOS is not as seamless as under Android (or Windows) in that you have to have click the Dropbox app on iOS to start the transfer but it does work well enough.

Still the question about 16GB vs. 32GB is mostly about how much annoyance there will be sitting at 16GB. To me, I only spend money when I have to, not when I think I might maybe need to in the future. So if I'm constantly hitting the 16GB limit on my phone and I have to do weird things to shuffle more space, then I'd spend the money for 32GB, but I don't think that I would do it unless I already had a problem that I'd been dealing with.

I mean worst-case, you get 16GB and you have to move videos off to take more videoes... and you need to judge how long the videos are (and thus how large) and how annoying that would have to be and how often it would happen. But for me - and since you are asking for advice, I'll give you my opinion - I would get the 16GB and then wait for the problem to happen and then deal with the problem by shuffling things around and then if it's super annoying then next upgrade get the 32GB.
Thanks for the Reasonable and easily understood advice.

I have only used 4.0 GB on my Iphone 4--but I haven't put any video on it yet and I keep the majority of my music off the iphone.

I sthere an Easy way to offload Video from the Iphome 5 to my PC or icloud/Sydrive??

Thanks again
Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
boomhower
Diamond Member

1080P video will eat storage space up fast, just going to depend on how much you are going to shoot before transfering off.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
dagamer34
Platinum Member

16GB. It's a bad idea to buy more than you need with storage on a phone, learn to figure out what you might actually use (Do you need to have that 1.5GB game which you rarely play on your phone? Is that worth $100?)

I got the 32GB iPhone 5 after having a 64GB iPhone 4S (32GB wasn't available at the time) and never used more than 16GB. 16GB is the sweet spot.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
pm
Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Thanks for the Reasonable and easily understood advice.

I have only used 4.0 GB on my Iphone 4--but I haven't put any video on it yet and I keep the majority of my music off the iphone.

I sthere an Easy way to offload Video from the Iphome 5 to my PC or icloud/Sydrive??

Thanks again
There is a Skydrive app - and although I've never used it, I've heard it works fine, and you can upload and then move the file or mark it not to sync and delete it from the phone. And the Dropbox app also does this. And, there's also the whole iCloud thing - although as you mention it gets expensive after you reach the limit.

I use Dropbox and I'm happy enough - although as I said, I have to say that this is one app that is hands-down way better on Android.

Last edited by pm; 01-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
lothar
Diamond Member

Going from 16GB to 32GB is certainly not worth the $100 price premium.
If the difference was only $50, then it would be more reasonable and make sense....But it's not.

I'd stick with 16GB.
lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
bearxor
Diamond Member

The outrageous price Apple is seemingly able to charge for more memory boggles my mind. It should be $50 per gap tops. Not $100. It's just tragic.

Unfortunately, I know a lot of people that continue to buy the 64GB versions because they think they need to get "the best".
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
x26

Smile Thanks for All the Help!!

Thanks for All the Help!!

I got the 16 gb 5 !! (1 for me and 1 for wifeyPooh)

I'm glad to have you folks to talk me down--from Overspending.

Aside: I have a Phobia("Condition") where oftentimes I'm afraid(anxious) of not having enough of something; ie., Memory, CPU power, HorsePower, and on and on Ad Nauseum. lol!!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
m3ta1head

get the one with the geebees!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Oyeve
Lifer

I got the iphone5 with 32gb knowing I would eat through it quickly. Fortunately the job paid for it. He'll, need for speed most wanted alone is nearly 3gbs!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Rottie
Diamond Member

I have an iPhone 4s with 16GB and I think 16GB is enough because I took a lot of 1080p video all the time, it never run out because I noticed I only took less than 10 minutes video. It was enough for youtube download over 3G. So if you plan to take more than 10 minutes video then you can buy 32GB iPhone.
32GB Space Grey WIFI + Cellular
Rottie is offline   Reply With Quote