· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Muse
Lifer

Default If I reset my router...what happens?

It's a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with 6 year old firmware:

DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std

Been acting very badly. While I'm deciding on another firmware and finding out exactly how to flash it, I'd like to try a reset.

Now, I believe there's more than one way I can reset it.

1. I can just maybe press the reset button
2. I can hold down the reset button for 30 seconds
3. I can do a "hard reset":
- -
As described by redhawk at dd-wrt forums:
Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):

The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:

With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)

This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Do not use configuration restore if you change firmware builds (different svn build numbers).
- -

If I do any of these will I be able to access the router using my current UN and PW?

Will the router still function (i.e. my wireless and wired computers have access to my LAN and the internet)?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Engineer
Elite Member

Generally, holding for 30 seconds is a hard reset. I have never saw a router that did not reset to defaults by holding the reset button for 30 seconds. You will have to reconfigure all of the settings if you do this (may involve hard setting your IP address of your PC so you can get in - not sure of default IP address and login information for DD-WRT though).

As for access to the internet, if cable, maybe since the router should default to DHCP on. If it's DSL, then no as you would need the DSL login information to get the internet connection back. Wireless will not work until you set your security and SSID information, etc.

Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue...Go Big Blue!!!

"Opportunities look a lot like work" - Ashton Kutcher

Last edited by Engineer; 12-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
If I do any of these will I be able to access the router using my current UN and PW?
No, the user and password will be reset to default dd-wrt values. (root/admin)

Quote:
Will the router still function (i.e. my wireless and wired computers have access to my LAN and the internet)?
Also no. You will have to reconfigure the router. If you use the same SSID, encryption, DHCP settings, and password, the wireless clients should connect automatically without additional configuration on their end.
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff
SWAT Screening Virus Environmental Terrorist Dock
AnonymouseUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseUser View Post
Also no.
Wired connections may work depending on service provider and default DHCP settings of DD-WRT (which I don't remember because it's been a long time).

Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Wired connections may work depending on service provider and default DHCP settings of DD-WRT (which I don't remember because it's been a long time).
It's been a while since I started fresh with DD-WRT as well, but I am pretty sure DHCP is enabled by default. If not, configure your gateway as, and log in to, 192.168.1.1.
Pressure Cooker Grid Power Smart Body scanner Electric ISIS Ammonium nitrate Brown Out
Bridge Organized crime National security State Liberation Security Breach Threat Standoff
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
Generally, holding for 30 seconds is a hard reset. I have never saw a router that did not reset to defaults by holding the reset button for 30 seconds. You will have to reconfigure all of the settings if you do this (may involve hard setting your IP address of your PC so you can get in - not sure of default IP address and login information for DD-WRT though).

As for access to the internet, if cable, maybe since the router should default to DHCP on. If it's DSL, then no as you would need the DSL login information to get the internet connection back. Wireless will not work until you set your security and SSID information, etc.
Hmm. Thanks, well, I'm on DSL. I think I will call my provider, they are very hands on and friendly. They may know actually what I will need to do and walk me through it. They may not. There are many guys there and I always seem to get someone else so MMMV! Anyway, all of them have something on the ball, so worth a try for sure. I get the impression they are by and large really young guys, so not a lot of experience, but they're pretty geeky. They may not know dd-wrt from beans, though.

I have lots of information stored in my data tables, including, probably much of the unknown info you refer to, e.g. the default IP address for dd-wrt. Normally I have that on my LAN, but I copied it over to the local machine because the LAN will probably be down.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Muse
Lifer

Quote:
No, the user and password will be reset to default dd-wrt values. (root/admin)

Also no. You will have to reconfigure the router. If you use the same SSID, encryption, DHCP settings, and password, the wireless clients should connect automatically without additional configuration on their end.
I did the reset and am online, at least with my wired PC, haven't tried the others.

I don't know what kind if any of encryption is set now. Where in the dd-wrt configuration do I set encryption?

My SSID, I never changed, it's the default, which is dd-wrt. Is that a bad idea?
Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
I did the reset and am online, at least with my wired PC, haven't tried the others.

I don't know what kind if any of encryption is set now. Where in the dd-wrt configuration do I set encryption?
I'm not sure what the answer is but if you did a full, hard reset, I would think that your DSL information would have been wiped from the router (I am making an assumption here that all DSL providers need a login/password or something similar to connect to the DSL service). I would try the wireless to see if it is working.....if it is, the router has not been fully reset.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wireless > Wireless Security (use WPA2 for better security)

Quote:
My SSID, I never changed, it's the default, which is dd-wrt. Is that a bad idea?
While there is nothing wrong with using the default SSID, you could cause confusion if a neighbor also uses a DD-WRT router with default SSID.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Engineer
Elite Member

Quote:
While there is nothing wrong with using the default SSID, you could cause confusion if a neighbor also uses a DD-WRT router with default SSID.
Hey, I might try this. Set up multi-SSID's on my home routers and set them to the neighbor's SSIDs just to mess with their mind!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Muse
Lifer

Hmm, got it working. Found this site: How-to Setup a secure Wireless Network, dd-wrt

Set it up differently than it was before. Same network password but using WPA2 pre-shared Key Mixed. Seems to work OK.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
AnonymouseUser
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hey, I might try this. Set up multi-SSID's on my home routers and set them to the neighbor's SSIDs just to mess with their mind!
If you can also get their password, you could play with their traffic and really throw them for a loop!