· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
MrX8503
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
On an iPad it isn't very good. It's hideous.

On an Android tablet, it's not bad.
Its rare that an iPad app is blown up.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
vshah
Lifer

in my opinion the android home screen is itself a killer tablet app - any information your heart desires at a glance. The iPad home screen is just a blown up iPhone home screen

i think the N7 and N10 are starting to result in devs taking android tabs more seriously.
NYTimes just released an updated tablet app which looks great.

really though, you can't go wrong with either - both are excellent tablets.
XBL: the4ner85
vshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
People keep saying tablet apps tablet apps, but at the end of the day, most of the phone apps scales up fine to tablet on Android.

Also, for tablets, what do you guys use that you need so many tablet apps? On my iPad, I only use 5, and the equivalents on Android works fine

1. Safari
2. Email
3. Dropbox
4. StreamToMe (for Video)
5. iBook for PDFs
Thats incredibly easy to amswer. If I had an iPad I would tack on,

Flipboard
Yelp
Netflix
Facebook
LinkedIn
Some messaging app
Some sports app
A couple flight related apps
A lot more games

So yes you are very non app centric and so it's not surprising that you just don't get why a large app library is important.

Anyone feeling defensive about the lack of apps can rest assured. Just like phones the tablets will eventually catch up. However I'm not going to waste my money to wait. I say buy things when they're ready and right now android isn't ready.

I don't even know half the apps here:
http://gizmodo.com/5747915/the-best-ipad-apps

But it's all there and for anyone with time, you can scroll down, see if something interests you and then give it a try.
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by TuxDave; 12-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
dagamer34
Platinum Member

I don't see any evidence of Android developers taking Android tablets seriously. However I am seeing far more Windows 8 tablet apps being pushed out like ESPN, NASCAR, Dropbox, Cnet, etc... Just to name a few.

My biggest problem is that Google still isn't doing the simplest of things to encourage tablet app development, where as Microsoft is going full steam ahead with workshops, free design consultations, development contests with prizes and active evangelists in the community. The laissez faire approach Google has will eventually fail them.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #30
dguy6789
Diamond Member

Nexus 10 gets my vote. The screen alone seals the deal. All the other perks are just added bonuses.
dguy6789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #31
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguy6789 View Post
Nexus 10 gets my vote. The screen alone seals the deal. All the other perks are just added bonuses.
I don't have one, so I'm only mentioning other users/reviewers comments. But what I hear of the screen is probably one of the things that excluded the Nexus 10. It's really sharp with it's 300 PPI, but people say the colors aren't as good. Sadly Google or it's partners have done little to no calibration of the Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 screens, so I'm not surprised that they are saying the same of the Nexus 10 now too. It's not a deal breaker in itself, but a disappointing thing to hear.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
corkyg
Peripherals

Nexus 10 has micro-USB port. That's a huge plus!

In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.... Emile Zola
corkyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
DLeRium
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
I don't have one, so I'm only mentioning other users/reviewers comments. But what I hear of the screen is probably one of the things that excluded the Nexus 10. It's really sharp with it's 300 PPI, but people say the colors aren't as good. Sadly Google or it's partners have done little to no calibration of the Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 screens, so I'm not surprised that they are saying the same of the Nexus 10 now too. It's not a deal breaker in itself, but a disappointing thing to hear.
I would look into seeing if the kernel has some ability to tune colors. Possibly no seeing the Exynos 4 devices really didn't get much.

It's quite disappointing Google drops the ball with display calibration. Even piss poor displays from Galaxy S1 era when calibrated can look absolutely gorgeous.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
zerogear
Diamond Member

Did exynos 4 sources ever get released? I'm think that exynos 5 might be slightly better since its on a nexus device.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
cheezy321
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
On an iPad it isn't very good. It's hideous.

On an Android tablet, it's not bad.
The definition of hideous.

ESPN Scorecenter on android tablet:

ESPN scorecenter on iPad:

HUGE difference.

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
cheezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #36
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy321 View Post

HUGE difference.
And for the sake of completeness, ESPN for Windows 8:

Honestly, I think it's the best version of all 3.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
DLeRium
Lifer

I think the fact is something that we've been looking at on a 3.7" screen (remember these apps were there since the Droid 1 days) isn't the same as looking at it on a 7" or 10" screen. It deserves a better interface at high res.

Let's not forget mobile apps were developed for small screens because the desktop version doesn't make sense. A tablet can almost use a desktop version, although it would still benefit from a more optimized touch edition.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
zerogear
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezy321 View Post

HUGE difference.
Also, he wasn't talking about phone apps scaled up (which is what you saw, the ESPN app is a scaled up phone app). A fair comparison would be

And everything gets pixelated when scaled up.

So yes, Android is a lot better when it's scaling up phone apps. Obviously a tablet optimized app will still look much better.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
dagamer34
Platinum Member

How often do you see people running iPhone only versions of apps on their iPad? In fact, the only one I have installed is SpeedTest.net, I actively shun everything else that has no iPad equivalent. Apple does the same too, I mean, they could run apps on the iPad 2/iPad mini at iPhone 4/4S resolutions but choose not to in order to encourage developers to write iPad specific versions of apps. The entirely separate iPad listing in the store helps as well.

Google isn't going to start getting better tablet apps until it starts promoting them at the same level as phone apps. The most basic thing is a ranking based on sales, such that any app at the top of such a list is guaranteed to have increased sales just based on visibility alone.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Google isn't going to start getting better tablet apps until it starts promoting them at the same level as phone apps. The most basic thing is a ranking based on sales, such that any app at the top of such a list is guaranteed to have increased sales just based on visibility alone.
Google has done this, they have a featured tablet apps section. I agree that little things like this will encourage more devs to optimize their apps as it's a good form of advertising for them. Another issue is you don't automatically know if an app from the market is tablet optimized. There's no little notifier of any kind, so it's hard to tell exactly how many tablet-optimized apps there are.

And I should add that only 10 inch and above sized tablets need real optimization (not always, but most of the time). The smaller tablets like the N7 work perfectly fine even with a phone optimized app because it isn't that much bigger than a phone.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #41
zerogear
Diamond Member

Quote:
How often do you see people running iPhone only versions of apps on their iPad? In fact, the only one I have installed is SpeedTest.net, I actively shun everything else that has no iPad equivalent. Apple does the same too, I mean, they could run apps on the iPad 2/iPad mini at iPhone 4/4S resolutions but choose not to in order to encourage developers to write iPad specific versions of apps. The entirely separate iPad listing in the store helps as well.

I definitely agree with this, but I was just stating that in terms of scaling non-native apps, Android is superior.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #42
cheezy321
Diamond Member

Quote:

The only phone app I run on my iPad is wells fargo. All of the other ones have a tablet optimized version, which is great.

The biggest problem with America is not faceless corporate forces; the biggest problem with America is people who blame faceless corporate forces instead of accepting accountability for their own lives. - Chuck Klosterman
cheezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #43
pm
Super Moderator
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I have an iPad and an Asus Transformer (Android) and in the past generally I preferred to use the iPad. But about two weeks ago my genius children misplaced my iPad and no one has seen it since so now I've been only using my Transformer.

So after about three weeks of only using my Asus Transformer, I've come to the conclusion that I really like both of them just fine. I used to prefer the iPad more for apps and otherwise, but now I have been fine on the Transformer and I don't really miss the iPad all that much. The only two things that the iPad does better is I like a 4:3 aspect ratio more than 16:9 for reading, and the iPad has noticeably better battery life. But from a usability perspective, I consider them both about equivalent. All the apps that I need are available on both, everything works like it's supposed to, and I really have no complaints with the Transformer or Android. I don't follow sports, but I read the Economist and the Economist app for Android is pretty much identical to the iOS version, and all of the other apps that I like to use frequently also work just as well.

If all things were equal, I'd recommend the iPad, but with the price difference being what it is, I think I'd recommend either one.
pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #44
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogear View Post
I definitely agree with this, but I was just stating that in terms of scaling non-native apps, Android is superior.
I think that's the main reason for lack of Android tablet apps. Android's superior ability to handle different resolution and scale non-native apps is the reason why we don't see more tablet only apps. With iOS it's necessary because of the poor scaling. With Android, it doesn't look that bad so the sense of urgency isn't there. So Android scaling strength is turning out to be its weakness and iOS weakness is turning out to be its strength due to necessity. It's ironic how it has worked out. So it's true in this case necessity is mother of invention.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #45
s44
Diamond Member

Why the heck would you want to run a score tracker fullscreen?

Widget.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #46
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post
Why the heck would you want to run a score tracker fullscreen?

Widget.
Or even better, Google Now.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
Yuriman
Platinum Member

After reading OP my first thought was to recommend the iPad. However, I've recently been playing with Multi-window on my S2 and it's pretty awesome, read that it's going to be pushed to the Galaxy Tab with Jelly Bean (if it hasn't already). I don't know if anyone has ported it out of Touchwiz, but it's one of those make-or-break features now that I've tried it.
3570K @ 4.6GHz 1.29v | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Gigabyte HD7850 2GB @ 1125/1575 | Swiftech WC Loop | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 1.25v | OCZ Agility 3 240GB | WD Green 1.5GB | BFG LS 680w | Skyhawk MSR-4610
Yuriman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #48
Red Storm
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuriman View Post
After reading OP my first thought was to recommend the iPad. However, I've recently been playing with Multi-window on my S2 and it's pretty awesome, read that it's going to be pushed to the Galaxy Tab with Jelly Bean (if it hasn't already). I don't know if anyone has ported it out of Touchwiz, but it's one of those make-or-break features now that I've tried it.
Can you explain how this works? Or I guess I could Google it...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #49
ew915

Nobody mentioned but the movies in wide-screen does look quite awful in the iPad just like the torrent movies you download
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #50
TuxDave
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew915 View Post
Nobody mentioned but the movies in wide-screen does look quite awful in the iPad just like the torrent movies you download
Sorry but please explain (in dumb terms) how it looks just like torrent movies you download?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuriman View Post
I remember some advice on Android which was "buy on what you get now and not what you may potentially get in the future". So outside of porting it to tablets, you would have to get someone to port it outside of Touchwiz (to get it to the N10). So that's two steps away "in the future"
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TuxDave is offline   Reply With Quote