· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Molestro

Default Failed to create the D3D9 Device! this can happen if the desktop is locked Exiting...

Hello all,

I'm having an issue when I try to launch games on my TV vs. my Monitor. The error I'm getting is:

"Failed to create the D3D9 Device! this can happen if the desktop is locked
Exiting..."

Only some games give me this error. I think I've isolated it to mainly UT3 Engine games.

They work fine on my monitor (BenQ 1080p@60Hz), but they give me the above error when I try to run them on my TV (Sony KDL-46W3000 Bravia 1080p@60Hz).

Here's another wrinkle: I had this set up working fine for years with an AMD Radeon 5870 running HDMI (40-ft) directly from my card to my Receiver (Onkyo TX-SR606). When I switched the output to my TV in CCC I would have to manually add 1080p@60Hz and overscan to scale the screen size but that was a one-time fix and everything would work fine after that. The reason I had to manually add 1080p@60Hz is unknown to me, but for some reason it was detecting 1080i@30Hz native even though the TV is supposed to support 1080p@60Hz native.

Last week, I bought an nVidia 670. When I switched the output to my TV, I had to manually add 1080p@60Hz (as it was detecting 1080i@30Hz native again) and the desktop displayed fine after that - no need to mess with overscan this time. But now when I try to run XCOM for example (an UT3 Engine game), I get that error from above and it crashes.

Games that don't crash seem to change resolution at launch as I notice the screen goes black for a few seconds as it would when I change resolutions (possibly back to the native 1080i@30Hz that was initially being detected - though I'm not sure).

After reading various forums and messing around myself for several hours I've tried the following:
-Launching the problem games in windowed mode - it works, but that's hardly a solution
-Launching the problem games @ the natively detected 1080i@30Hz - again, it works, but that's not ideal either...
-Changing the resolution values in the config files (resX=1920 resY=1080) was no use as they were already those values (this is a common solution brought up in many other steam forum posts, but it obviously doesn't apply to my case).

And before you suggest, yes I'm running the latest drivers and DirectX version in Win7 64-bit. I've even tried the latest beta drivers from nVidia, and I've run driver cleaner between installs (and cleared out all the old AMD drivers).

Has anyone else run into this issue, and is there a way to resolve it? I'm really banging my head against the wall the last few days. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Molestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

try a short (<6 foot) cable directly to your TV and see if it still happens.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Molestro

I will tonight, but I don't see how that's the problem when I had it working fine with the AMD Card for years...
Molestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molestro View Post
I will tonight, but I don't see how that's the problem when I had it working fine with the AMD Card for years...
#1 problem is you switched cards. All bets are off after that.

#2 problem is using long cables is always a recipe for disaster - if you look in the AV subforum, anyone that has HT Projectors mounted on the ceiling with long cable runs that mysteriously has problems all of a sudden crop up, first suggestion is to try a direct short cable - and a lot of times it fixes it. Long cable runs means signal quality issues.

#3 problem is you're using a passthrough via your receiver. Again, you switched cards, so there's absolutely no telling how/whether your setup will play nice with the passthrough.

On paper, it should all work. In practice, you have three things that historically cause headaches for AV setups. Take and test each thing one piece at a time.