Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Software > Operating Systems

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals
· Free Stuff
· Contests and Sweepstakes
· Black Friday 2013
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default FREE windows 8 bluray software.

Ok there has got to be some solution for a free windows 8 blu ray player. I tried to do the VLC solution but it crashes as soon as I try playing an encrypted disk.

I refuse to pay a dime to cyberlink since I just bought this bluray player and their OEM version will not support windows 8. Which is complete cramp because this like other programs are forcing you to buy a new software right off.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? And I know how to make mkv's and I do when needed, but this is for my HTPC that I want to have an easy plug and play solution for when someone other then me wants to use it.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
tommo123
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,102
Default

the free media center addon? you get the code from microsoft
tommo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Steltek
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,479
Default

Media center won't play bluray discs.

The issue isn't playing bluray discs, as both VLC Player and MPC will do that. The issue is rather decrypting bluray discs, which isn't free. The general cost difference between a retail bluray drive and a cheaper OEM bluray drive is the cost of the player software that comes with the retail drive.

The closest you'll probably come to a free solution is Passkey Lite from DVDfab. However, it is limited and may not work on all blurays:

http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm

If you are a serious movie buff, I recommend investing in a copy of Slysoft's AnyDVDHD product. It is well supported and decrypts the bluray discs so that other software (like VLC Player or MPC) can play them. They offer a 21 day free trial so you can see if it works for you.

Last edited by Steltek; 11-24-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Steltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

When I look at anydvd hd the price is always in pounds. Is there a way to see how much this costs for US dollars?

Also, this just decrypts the bluray? And you use another player to play it?
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 29,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
When I look at anydvd hd the price is always in pounds. Is there a way to see how much this costs for US dollars?

Also, this just decrypts the bluray? And you use another player to play it?
For price conversion, just use Google ("[price in pounds] in USD").

And yes, that just decrypts the Blu-Ray. It doesn't do playback.
__________________
ViRGE
Team Anandtech: Assimilating a computer near you!
GameStop - An upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Yea I am looking for a player, not a decrypter. Plus it costs as much to decrypt them as buy a player and MKV will strip it without needing to buy this.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
serpretetsky
Senior Member
 
serpretetsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 469
Default

i feel for you gaidin. We recently installed a blu ray drive for a customer (lg) and found that the software it came with (cyberlink) was too old for windows 8. Furthermore, the software updates cost $$. Weaksauce.
serpretetsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

There has got to be some free solution. Had VLC with the codec add work worked for anyone?
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: B̿̄ͬͮͦ͐̐̂̌̂͛̓̃̔̈́̓
Posts: 5,158
Default

You will not find a free encrypted bluray player because legitimate players have a per player licensing fee that they must pay.
Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Evander
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,132
Default

Not free, but $9.99 after rebate you can get Nero 12 Platinum which includes Blu-ray disc playback (and does a lot of other stuff besides that). Part of the rebate though is a competitive rebate. If you don't have that, you can go buy an old ass version of the eligible produces on ebay or something and use that for the rebate:
http://www.frys.com/product/7283963?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
On newegg, you can get PowerDVD Ultra 12 for $19.99 after rebate, but you said you don't want Cyberlink
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evander View Post
Not free, but $9.99 after rebate you can get Nero 12 Platinum which includes Blu-ray disc playback (and does a lot of other stuff besides that). Part of the rebate though is a competitive rebate. If you don't have that, you can go buy an old ass version of the eligible produces on ebay or something and use that for the rebate:
http://www.frys.com/product/7283963?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
On newegg, you can get PowerDVD Ultra 12 for $19.99 after rebate, but you said you don't want Cyberlink
Where do you see powerdvd 12 ultra for windows 8 available for $20? I'd buy it for that, the Nero options looks decent too, not sure how much I trust those rebates or exactly how they work.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
There has got to be some free solution. Had VLC with the codec add work worked for anyone?
No, there doesn't. There is no legal free solution because one has to pay licenses for the encryption and codecs used. The same is true for MP3s and DVDs, but most people just ignore that and use the free software available illegally without purchasing the required licenses.
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothinman View Post
No, there doesn't. There is no legal free solution because one has to pay licenses for the encryption and codecs used. The same is true for MP3s and DVDs, but most people just ignore that and use the free software available illegally without purchasing the required licenses.
You are wrong. You do not need to buy licensing for DVDs or MP3s... when you buy them you inherently get the license through ownership. I am trying very hard to find a legal and inexpensive way to play blurays on my HTPC. I will always use free software over paid, mainly because paid software is priced through the roof. I don't mind spending $20 bucks on a bluray software player, but even with the upgrade price, cyberlink wants over $60for this. Not to mention, they demand you upgrade ever year or so to their next product, again, ridiculous. I just want my HARDWARE that I bought for this reason to work and to work without having to pay yearly for it to work.

There are ALWAYS free options out there, and there are ALWAYS ways to make it work for both sides. The software industry and the bluray aspect of this has completely lost themselves.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Ferzerp
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: B̿̄ͬͮͦ͐̐̂̌̂͛̓̃̔̈́̓
Posts: 5,158
Default

We've told you what you're looking for doesn't exist.
Ferzerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 29,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
You are wrong. You do not need to buy licensing for DVDs or MP3s... when you buy them you inherently get the license through ownership. I am trying very hard to find a legal and inexpensive way to play blurays on my HTPC. I will always use free software over paid, mainly because paid software is priced through the roof. I don't mind spending $20 bucks on a bluray software player, but even with the upgrade price, cyberlink wants over $60for this. Not to mention, they demand you upgrade ever year or so to their next product, again, ridiculous. I just want my HARDWARE that I bought for this reason to work and to work without having to pay yearly for it to work.

There are ALWAYS free options out there, and there are ALWAYS ways to make it work for both sides. The software industry and the bluray aspect of this has completely lost themselves.
To be clear, Nothinman is not talking about a license for the media, but a license for the player. Blu-Ray players need to license both the necessary codecs (H.264, VC-1, DTS, etc) and the DRM systems (AACS, BD+). The latter cannot be freely (and simultaneously legally) implemented because it requires access to tightly controlled keys that are only available from the relevant licensing authority for a hefty price.

Distributing a free Blu-Ray player package capable of decrypting a Blu-Ray would get the software manufacturer sued so fast that it would be gone in a flash.
__________________
ViRGE
Team Anandtech: Assimilating a computer near you!
GameStop - An upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Zodiark1593
Senior Member
 
Zodiark1593's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 784
Default

Precisely the reason I never bothered with Blu Ray. Downright hostile for the consumer in my opinion. :/
Zodiark1593 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
You are wrong. You do not need to buy licensing for DVDs or MP3s... when you buy them you inherently get the license through ownership. I am trying very hard to find a legal and inexpensive way to play blurays on my HTPC. I will always use free software over paid, mainly because paid software is priced through the roof. I don't mind spending $20 bucks on a bluray software player, but even with the upgrade price, cyberlink wants over $60for this. Not to mention, they demand you upgrade ever year or so to their next product, again, ridiculous. I just want my HARDWARE that I bought for this reason to work and to work without having to pay yearly for it to work.

There are ALWAYS free options out there, and there are ALWAYS ways to make it work for both sides. The software industry and the bluray aspect of this has completely lost themselves.
No, you get a license for the content with the disc but not for any of the parts required to play the content. Licenses for that stuff is usually covered by the hardware and software manufacturers when you buy the drive and use the included software. But if that doesn't work for you then you need to buy software that either includes the licenses, and thus costs slightly more, or to buy the licenses yourself separate from the software.
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
lxskllr
Lifer
 
lxskllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 37,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark1593 View Post
Precisely the reason I never bothered with Blu Ray. Downright hostile for the consumer in my opinion. :/
Yup, same. I wouldn't "invest" in any media the requires proprietary software for me to use it. If I can get libre tools to break the restrictions, I /may/ purchase, but that puts me in a position of supporting practices I don't believe in. As it stands, I'll only buy DVD, or CD.
lxskllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Ok here's a new one as well.

I reinstalled my OEM powerdvd software version 9 and ran the advisor and it is saying my graphic driver for my intel 3000hd 9.17.10.2875 is incompatible. I know this graphics card can run blurays I know it works.

Is this cyberlink refusing to allow you to use old hardware now as well? All they have to do is put this driver version as being ok to run.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
abaez
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 7,146
Default

Seriously, slysoft anydvd. The price is well worth it and it gets updated frequently. You can play your blurays in ANY player you want, on any screen (since it removes HDCP requirements), and you can also make images and rip them very easily.

You can see the issues with [lousy] cyberlink and other software forcing you to upgrade. Just get Anydvd and you are done.

No profanity in the tech forums please
-ViRGE

Last edited by ViRGE; 11-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.
abaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Evander
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post
Where do you see powerdvd 12 ultra for windows 8 available for $20? I'd buy it for that, the Nero options looks decent too, not sure how much I trust those rebates or exactly how they work.
I did the Nero rebates for Nero 11 Platinum last year - worked fine. Just make a copy of everything in case there's a problem.

On Power DVD it looks like they raised the price to about $30 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832117020
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
gaidin43
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaez View Post
Seriously, slysoft anydvd. The price is well worth it and it gets updated frequently. You can play your blurays in ANY player you want, on any screen (since it removes HDCP requirements), and you can also make images and rip them very easily.

You can see the issues with [lousy] cyberlink and other software forcing you to upgrade. Just get Anydvd and you are done.
Anydvd is around $60 us correct? Again too expensive.

And yes looks like newegg raised it to around $30 after the rebate. Also the one with the rebate is not the windows 8 version?

Last edited by ViRGE; 11-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.
gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Evander
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,132
Default

Both Power DVD 12 and Nero 12 are advertised as being Win 8 compatible
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
ViRGE
Super Moderator
Elite Member
 
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 29,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaez View Post
Seriously, slysoft anydvd. The price is well worth it and it gets updated frequently. You can play your blurays in ANY player you want, on any screen (since it removes HDCP requirements), and you can also make images and rip them very easily.

You can see the issues with [lousy] cyberlink and other software forcing you to upgrade. Just get Anydvd and you are done.
The only problem with AnyDVD is that it's "legit" only if your definition of legitimate is extremely loose. It's a DRM circumvention device, so it's not legal in the US under the DMCA.
__________________
ViRGE
Team Anandtech: Assimilating a computer near you!
GameStop - An upscale specialized pawnshop that happens to sell new games on the side
Todd the Wraith: On Fruit Bowls - I hope they prove [to be] as delicious as the farmers who grew them
ViRGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Nothinman
Elite Member
 
Nothinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRGE View Post
The only problem with AnyDVD is that it's "legit" only if your definition of legitimate is extremely loose. It's a DRM circumvention device, so it's not legal in the US under the DMCA.
It doesn't require one be lose with their definition of legitimate. Unless I missed something it's considered fair-use for a person to "rip" their own discs for personal use. The DMCA attempts to curtail that, but AFAIK the MPAA and such haven't pushed that in court because they know fair-use would win out and they don't want that brought into the spotlight.

https://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php
__________________
http://www.debian.org
Nothinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.