· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
JackBurton
Lifer

Default FYI, 4th Gen iPad LTE uses a micro-SIM vs nano-SIM found in the iPhone 5.

Ok, so I just received my 4G iPad LTE yesterday and went to the AT&T store to activate the cellular plan on the device. I didn't bring my iPad so the AT&T rep asked me what model iPad I had, and I said the 4th gen. He then handed me a nano-SIM card which I figured it would use the same SIM card as the iPhone 5. NOPE! The thing uses a standard SIM card. WTH? I thought Apple was moving to the nano-SIM cards? It's not really that big of a deal, but now I have to go to the AT&T store again to swap it out with the correct card.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along for anyone getting the new iPad.

Edit: New iPad uses micro-SIM not a standard SIM card. Thanks Eug for the correction.

Last edited by JackBurton; 11-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Eug
Lifer

The iPad doesn't use a standard SIM. It uses a micro-SIM.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
iOS: iPad 2 | iPhone 5s
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Android: Nexus 7 (2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The iPad doesn't use a standard SIM. It uses a micro-SIM.

Sorry, you're right. They handed me a nano-SIM (iPhone5 SIM card), and the one in my iPad was slightly larger, which is the micro-SIM, not the full size standard SIM card. I went ahead and changed the title with that correction.

That being said, I would think Apple would have moved to the nano-SIM for all their devices. What is the point of using different SIM cards?

Last edited by JackBurton; 11-20-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Eug
Lifer

Dunno, but maybe it's because micro-SIMs are everywhere, and there is no need for the tiny bit extra of space savings in the iPad. Perhaps doing this ensures there is enough supply of nano-SIMs for the iPhone 5.

If this is the case, it likely won't be an issue for the next round of iPads, and maybe those will get the nano-SIM.

Mind you, everyone else would prefer a next-gen SIM. Nokia and friends were pretty pissed that Apple forced the nano-SIM spec on the world, as it delays adoption of the next gen SIMs.

OS X: 27" iMac Core i7 870 | 13" MacBook Pro C2D 2.26 P8400 + SSD | 13" MacBook C2D 2.4 T8300 + SSD
Windows: X3400 Athlon II X3 435 | 11.6" 1810TZ Pentium SU4100 + SSD | Revo R3610 Atom 330 + SSD
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
runawayprisoner
Platinum Member

It's simple. Since the iPad 4 uses the same housing as the iPad 3, there's no reason for Apple to not re-use Micro-SIM reader boards and container trays from the iPad 3. It'd be silly to retool a working assembly just for a minor change in SIM size.

I think they'll move to Nano SIM once they change the design of the iPad again. Considering they've used the same design for 3 generations, I think we'll see one pretty soon...
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
TheStu
Mobile Devices & Gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayprisoner View Post
It's simple. Since the iPad 4 uses the same housing as the iPad 3, there's no reason for Apple to not re-use Micro-SIM reader boards and container trays from the iPad 3. It'd be silly to retool a working assembly just for a minor change in SIM size.

I think they'll move to Nano SIM once they change the design of the iPad again. Considering they've used the same design for 3 generations, I think we'll see one pretty soon...
Does anyone know if the iPad Mini is using a nano or micro SIM?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
DaveStall
Golden Member

Quote:

Is it really the same housing? Seems to me something must have changed to switch over to the new dock connector didn't it?

Last edited by DaveStall; 11-20-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStall View Post
Is it really the same housing? Seems to me something must have changed to switch over to the new dock connector didn't it?
Exactly. I thought the whole point of releasing the iPad 4 was to unify their products on a set standard. They updated the processor, they updated the connector, but then they left the SIM chip alone?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Eug
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStu View Post
Does anyone know if the iPad Mini is using a nano or micro SIM?
Nano-SIM

Go figure.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
JAG87
Diamond Member

Quote:

But they had to change the bottom of the chassis, so it's not as if they can just plug in the exact same same chassis as the iPad 3. It is somewhat retooled. I don't think it would have a made any difference to production cost if they changed the slot, tray and reader to nano SIM.... And since they are still producing iPad 2s, it's not like the old trays and readers would go to waste.... but whatever.

IMO, the next 9.7" iPad will probably look like a large iPad mini.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
JackBurton
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post
But they had to change the bottom of the chassis, so it's not as if they can just plug in the exact same same chassis as the iPad 3. It is somewhat retooled. I don't think it would have a made any difference to production cost if they changed the slot, tray and reader to nano SIM.... And since they are still producing iPad 2s, it's not like the old trays and readers would go to waste.... but whatever.

I love the new iPad, but quite honestly, I could probably go for a thinner 11" iPad.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
DaveStall
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post

Yeah, but they had no finacial incentive to change the SIM slot. The same cannot be said about the dock connector. Or maybe I am just being overly cynical ...
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
beechaviator

Default AT&T 4th Gen iPAD SIM Card (Micro)

I just purchased an iPAD 4th Generation from a friend. The iPAD is of course unlocked as he bought it from Apple directly. I wanted to activate it on the AT&T network and stopped by the AT&T store to obtain a new SIM card as my friend removed the old sim card. I was shocked to find that the AT&T store manager would not issue another SIM card unless I activated the iPAD in the store with one of their plans. This just sucks and I was treated like some type of crook as they told me AT&T has been having massive fraud with SIM cards. This store was in Wichita, KS as is an AT&T owned store on Maize Rd.

This just really pissed me off since I'm presently and At&T customer with my iPAD 1.

I went to another AT&T store and was told I could have a new SIM card for $25.00 since the store had to buy them - just another story.

Well then I went across the street to T-MOBILE and they issued me a new SIM card on their network and guess what...they are cheeper and have free international data in 100 countries! AND the SIM card was free!!!

I put the T-MOBILE SIM into my AT&T iPAD and Signed up for an account ... The iPAD reconfigured/reprovisioned and now I have T-MOBILE data service.

I plan to write to AT&T corporate office to complain, but for those who are having trouble AT&T give T-MOBILE a try as the iPAD is unlocked and you don't need to sign up for contracts.

There are several YouTube videos about changing data service on iPADs and tablets by changing the SIM cards. Don't let the cell service guys talk you into contracts or that a CDMA ipads only work on Verizon or Sprint. Check out the YouTube videos on the subject.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
Rakehellion
Diamond Member

Necro thread.
Closed Thread