Go Back   AnandTech Forums > Hardware and Technology > CPUs and Overclocking

Forums
· Hardware and Technology
· CPUs and Overclocking
· Motherboards
· Video Cards and Graphics
· Memory and Storage
· Power Supplies
· Cases & Cooling
· SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs
· Networking
· Peripherals
· General Hardware
· Highly Technical
· Computer Help
· Home Theater PCs
· Consumer Electronics
· Digital and Video Cameras
· Mobile Devices & Gadgets
· Audio/Video & Home Theater
· Software
· Software for Windows
· All Things Apple
· *nix Software
· Operating Systems
· Programming
· PC Gaming
· Console Gaming
· Distributed Computing
· Security
· Social
· Off Topic
· Politics and News
· Discussion Club
· Love and Relationships
· The Garage
· Health and Fitness
· Home and Garden
· Merchandise and Shopping
· For Sale/Trade
· Hot Deals with Free Stuff/Contests
· Black Friday 2014
· Forum Issues
· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions
   

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
0___________0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 284
Default i2 3225 vs FX-6300

Going to purchase one of these two processors Saturday, not quite certain which to get yet, looking for advice. The system will be primarily for gaming (BF3, Skyrim, Crysis). I also run a Linux VM and make heavy use of the CryENGINE 3 (along with similar programs for modding games). In games it seems to me that once you crank settings up in most demanding titles, unless you have two GTX 690s, the CPU becomes a non-factor. AnandTech even has the FX winning in games (I think it was the 3220 though). Obviously the i3 enjoys a sizable advantage in anything single threaded, but my most demanding tasks are multithreaded, not as much in some games as others though, but will the difference even be noticeable to me?

If I went with the FX I'd like to OC, but the board is only a 4+1 phase MSI (970A-G46), is it safe? I know the G45 was prone to explosions, fires, blown capacitors, burning down neighborhoods, etc. but NewEgg has good reviews for the G46.
0___________0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
SlowSpyder
Diamond Member
 
SlowSpyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9,036
Default

If you don't care about power consumption, I'd go with the 6300, especially since you're willing to overclock.
__________________
Steve
FX 9370 / 7970 / ASRock 990FX Extreme 9
GO PACKERS!
SlowSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Jimzz
Diamond Member
 
Jimzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NoVA
Posts: 3,115
Default

If you already have a 970/AM3+ board then I would get the 6300k and put any extra money toward a good video card.

Overclock without increasing the voltage and you should be ok.

Looked the board up and it supports 125watt CPUs and the 6300k is a 95watt. So you should be ok overclocking.
Jimzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Yuriman
Platinum Member
 
Yuriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,900
Default

The FX-6300 has become my recommendation for a low-price, high performance chip below the 3570K. If you're planning to run stock there can be a debate, but the i3 doesn't compete in raw throughput because it doesn't overclock.

That's not to say there aren't places I'd recommend and i3 instead.
__________________
3570K @ 4.6GHz 1.29v | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Gigabyte HD7850 2GB @ 1125/1575 | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 1.25v | OCZ Agility 3 240GB | WD Green 1.5GB | BFG LS 680w | Skyhawk MSR-4610
Yuriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Centauri
Golden Member
 
Centauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,427
Default

The 6300 is a beast of a chip for the price.
__________________
AMD A10-7850K APU ~ Radeon R7 IGP/8GBs of Patriot Viper 3 1866
128GB Samsung 830 SSD/2x 4TB Seagate DM000s/Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H
Antec EA-380D/Fractal Design Core 1000/Windows 8.1 Pro/Netgear Nighthawk
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Termie
Diamond Member
 
Termie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,153
Default

This review of the 6300 should give you all the information you need: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...00-review.html

In games, it ties the 3220, but with overclocking will beat it. It wins in just about everything else as well.

It amazes me that Intel continues to sell 5 or 6 quad models within a $20 price range, starting at $180. It could dominate AMD by dropping an i5 down to $150, but it simply refuses to price its lower-end quads sensibly.
__________________
Work: 3770K | Hyper 212+ | Asus Max V Gene | 290 Tri-X | 16GB | 830 256GB | TJ08B-E | x650 | U2713HM
Gaming: 4770K@4.5 | H100i | ASRock Z97 Ex4 | 780 Ti SLI | 16GB | MX100 512GB | 500R | EVGA G2 850W | Asus VG248QE
HTPC: 4690K@4.0 | CM S524 | ASRock Z97E | HD7870 | 8GB | 1TB SSHD | SG08 | CX500M | Samsung 55" 4K
Looking for holiday tech gifts? Check out The 2014 Holiday Buyer's Guide at The Tech Buyer's Guru!
Looking for Black Friday Deals? See TBG's Hot Deals Blog!
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
richierich1212
Platinum Member
 
richierich1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vallejo, CA (SF Bay Area)
Posts: 2,074
Default

FX-6300, especially since you mentioned VMs.
__________________
HEAT
richierich1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Arkaign
Lifer
 
Arkaign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,256
Default

Fx 6300!
__________________
Death is the answer.
Arkaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termie View Post
This review of the 6300 should give you all the information you need: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...00-review.html

In games, it ties the 3220, but with overclocking will beat it. It wins in just about everything else as well.

It amazes me that Intel continues to sell 5 or 6 quad models within a $20 price range, starting at $180. It could dominate AMD by dropping an i5 down to $150, but it simply refuses to price its lower-end quads sensibly.
Maybe they want to leave a niche for AMD, or feel compelled to by the need to have at least some competition. I do think that with their process lead, they could lower the price on the low end quad and bring out a mainstream hex core and would totally dominate AMD at every price point and still make money. But from a business standpoint what they are doing makes sense: they keep their margins high and allow AMD to stay around as a competitor to keep the regulators off their backs.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Durvelle27
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,102
Default

Fx-6300
Durvelle27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
NTMBK
Diamond Member
 
NTMBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,756
Default

Fx-6300
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I like my VRMs how I like my hookers, hot and Taiwanese.
NTMBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
nemesismk2
Diamond Member
 
nemesismk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,424
Default

Fx 6300
nemesismk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
inf64
Platinum Member
 
inf64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,075
Default

FX6300 is better choice for your needs,

BTW just to illustrate how much cheaper Vishera is in Europe (Germany), take a look at the prices of 8320(practically the same chip as 8350,just change the multiplier and voila 4/4.2Ghz "stock"):
FX-8320-152e
FX-8350-182e
3570K-208e
3770K-301e

The price difference is massive... 1 euro is 1.3 dollars. Boards are priced similarly. There is no 6300 on that website but I'd expect it to be ~20-30% cheaper than 8320.
__________________
ShintaiDK:"There will be no APU in PS4 and Xbox720."
ShintaiDK:"No quadchannel either.[in Kaveri]"
CHADBOGA:"Because he[OBR] is a great man."
inf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Insert_Nickname
Golden Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,946
Default

Well then, I'll join the choir: FX6300...
Insert_Nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Arkaign
Lifer
 
Arkaign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,256
Default

I'll amend my answer.

Yes, still get the 6300.

No, I don't recommend overclocking very far with that mobo. Check FS/FT, there are a steady number of people who had expensive AM3+ boards who waited for BD, were disappointed, and are willing to sell them for a loss. The 6300 still requires a good amount of power when overclocked, much more so than a Sandy or Ivy build. This doesn't mean it's not a good value for your uses though. I'd just use it at stock or near-stock until you have three things in place :

A great mobo
A very good cooler (water not necessary, but at least a well-rated tower heatpipe cooler w/120mm push/pull)
A good to great PSU (if you're combining with a decent GPU)

Get those together and bingo, recipe for great success. I would hate to recommend a cheapish mobo, only for you to have it fail within the year, it's a PITA. Ditto iffy PSU.

On a similar note, maybe you can bump up to the 8320? It's not an insane amount more, and actually sounds like a great fit for your uses.
__________________
Death is the answer.
Arkaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
frozentundra123456
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuriman View Post
The FX-6300 has become my recommendation for a low-price, high performance chip below the 3570K. If you're planning to run stock there can be a debate, but the i3 doesn't compete in raw throughput because it doesn't overclock.

That's not to say there aren't places I'd recommend and i3 instead.
If you look at that link for the gaming benchmarks, the i3 is still more than competitive with the 6300. So I would say it depends on the use. For me, the only thing I do that is CPU intensive is gaming, so I would go for the i3 for equal to slightly better performance in games, much better lightly threaded performance, and lower power consumption. I do not overclock either.

If your use will be heavily multithreaded, or you plan to overclock, then go for the 6300.

Bottom line for me though, if I was starting from scratch without a mb, I would go the extra for a 3570K in preference to either of those. Yes it costs more, but as part of a 600 to 1000 dollar system, and if you use it for several years, the extra cost is minimal.
frozentundra123456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
0___________0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
I'll amend my answer.

Yes, still get the 6300.

No, I don't recommend overclocking very far with that mobo. Check FS/FT, there are a steady number of people who had expensive AM3+ boards who waited for BD, were disappointed, and are willing to sell them for a loss. The 6300 still requires a good amount of power when overclocked, much more so than a Sandy or Ivy build. This doesn't mean it's not a good value for your uses though. I'd just use it at stock or near-stock until you have three things in place :

A great mobo
A very good cooler (water not necessary, but at least a well-rated tower heatpipe cooler w/120mm push/pull)
A good to great PSU (if you're combining with a decent GPU)

Get those together and bingo, recipe for great success. I would hate to recommend a cheapish mobo, only for you to have it fail within the year, it's a PITA. Ditto iffy PSU.

On a similar note, maybe you can bump up to the 8320? It's not an insane amount more, and actually sounds like a great fit for your uses.
The G46 is only $25, only way I could get the 6300 into my budget. 83XX is out of my price range, 8120 is only $10 more though, is the single threaded performance loss significant enough that I'd want PD? From what I've seen clock for clock PD is only like 4% faster BD.

I figure the 6300 at 4.0ghz or the 8120 at 3.5ghz is relatively safe, I have decent cooling and PSU.
0___________0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
inf64
Platinum Member
 
inf64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,075
Default

PD is ~14% faster in games than BD. Go with the better core,3 modules is more than enough.Once you OC it to ~4Ghz on stock vcore you will match or exceed the performance of 8120 in MTed workloads .
__________________
ShintaiDK:"There will be no APU in PS4 and Xbox720."
ShintaiDK:"No quadchannel either.[in Kaveri]"
CHADBOGA:"Because he[OBR] is a great man."
inf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
Rvenger
VC&G Moderator
 
Rvenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,253
Default

FX-6300 gets my vote. Nice performance for the price.
__________________
i7-5820k - ASRock X99 Extreme 3 - 16gb Crucial DDR4 2133 - Nvidia Reference GTX 970- 2 x 240gb PNY Optima SSDs in Raid 0 - 3tb Seagate 7200.14 HDD - Rosewill HIVE 850 Modular PSU - Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Rvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
AtenRa
Diamond Member
 
AtenRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0___________0 View Post
Going to purchase one of these two processors Saturday, not quite certain which to get yet, looking for advice. The system will be primarily for gaming (BF3, Skyrim, Crysis). I also run a Linux VM and make heavy use of the CryENGINE 3 (along with similar programs for modding games). In games it seems to me that once you crank settings up in most demanding titles, unless you have two GTX 690s, the CPU becomes a non-factor. AnandTech even has the FX winning in games (I think it was the 3220 though). Obviously the i3 enjoys a sizable advantage in anything single threaded, but my most demanding tasks are multithreaded, not as much in some games as others though, but will the difference even be noticeable to me?

If I went with the FX I'd like to OC, but the board is only a 4+1 phase MSI (970A-G46), is it safe? I know the G45 was prone to explosions, fires, blown capacitors, burning down neighborhoods, etc. but NewEgg has good reviews for the G46.
When you OC the FX6300 it is faster than Core i3 even in Skyrim.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...00-review.html

AtenRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #21
Arkaign
Lifer
 
Arkaign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19,256
Default

To be fair. 4.8+Ghz is a downright terrible idea there with those CPUs. Super heat and power thirsty at those settings.

4.2-4.3 is more manageable. Just like 4.2-4.4 is best for Ivy unless you really like pushing things.
__________________
Death is the answer.
Arkaign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #22
AtenRa
Diamond Member
 
AtenRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
To be fair. 4.8+Ghz is a downright terrible idea there with those CPUs. Super heat and power thirsty at those settings.

4.2-4.3 is more manageable. Just like 4.2-4.4 is best for Ivy unless you really like pushing things.
I will agree that i wouldn't run the FX6300 at 4.8+GHz for 24/7 but at 4.6GHz it will be fine.
AtenRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
Meghan54
Diamond Member
 
Meghan54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rollin' Rollin' Rollin', keep them doggies rollin'
Posts: 5,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtenRa View Post
When you OC the FX6300 it is faster than Core i3 even in Skyrim.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...00-review.html



First, taking an OC of 4.8GHz or more to "slam" an i3 3225 is just troubling. Look at what Skymtl had to do to hit it.....an expensive as hell cpu cooler, one of the best performing 990 motherboards on the market, and even at stock speeds the 6300 used 49W more than the i3 3225 setup. Of course, no power consumption figures were presented for that 4.8GHz OC.....don't want the AMD chip to look even worse on that front, do we? (Anandtech's review did give two power consumption figures: the 4300 OC'd to 5GHz and the 8350 OC'd to 4.8GHz. The 4300 OC power consumption increased by 50W. So, the 6300 OC'd has to have at least a 50W increase in power consumption when OC'd to similar levels.)

Second, whether intentional or not, Skymtl biased the test by using one of the best performing AMD motherboards on the market, the Asus 990FX Sabertooth. The i3 3225 was saddled with an Intel Z77 board, and while the Intel board is great and all, Intel boards are optimized for stability first and foremost, throughput performance is an afterthought. Intel boards may be stable as granite, but as for performance, they provide the basement floor compared to other boards of the same chipset.

Honestly, didn't it strike you as odd that the previous gen. equivalent Intel cpu to the IvB i3 3225, the included Sandy Bridge i3 2120 which was mounted on a Gigabyte Z68 UD3H motherboard, scored higher on that particular bench than the faster 3225? If anything, both should have scored the same, given they're both clocked at the same speed. But given IvB's routine 5% IPC increase over equivalent SB cpus, the 3225 should have squeezed out an fps increase over the 2120.....but it ended up slower and that can be attributed to using the Intel motherboard vs. something "faster", like maybe an Asus Max. Gene V, which is priced the same as the Sabertooth 990FX board.

And Skymtl knows that as well given his knowledge. So, intentional or not, that bench's playing field wasn't exactly level.

I'd even hazard a guess that the i3 3225's performance could have been at least the same, if not slightly better, with a much cheaper Z77 board like the AsRock Extreme4. Certainly wouldn't have been worse.


But going back to the OP.....he clearly cannot afford a $185 motherboard, something it's going to take to get those great OC's. So, his OC will be much less given his financial constraints and his performance from the 6300 will definitely drop backward towards the i3 3225's performance. But then you have to add in the extra cost for the AMD system to achieve the OC....a not so cheap heatsink, something you don't have to spend $$ on for the i3 3225 system, and a slightly beefier power supply to handle the potential 80-100W increase power draw of the 6300 when OC'd.

And those are just the up front costs. You also have to account for the increased cost of elect. over time running the 6300 OC'd vs. the 3225.
__________________
Heat
Ebay
"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."
-Christopher Dawson
Meghan54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
AtenRa
Diamond Member
 
AtenRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Athens Greece
Posts: 6,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan54 View Post
First, taking an OC of 4.8GHz or more to "slam" an i3 3225 is just troubling.
That only happens in Skyrim, in general the FX6300 is faster than Core i3 at default clocks and destroys the Core i3 when OCed.

You know whats more troubling ?? At the same price you could have almost double the performance of the Core i3 and yet people defending it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan54 View Post
Look at what Skymtl had to do to hit it.....an expensive as hell cpu cooler, one of the best performing 990 motherboards on the market
You dont need to OC that high for the FX6300 to be faster than the Core i3, you can OC easily to 4GHz with default voltage using any AM3+ motherboard and the stock HeatSink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan54 View Post
and even at stock speeds the 6300 used 49W more than the i3 3225 setup.
You neglect to mention that FX6300 is ~24% faster than the Core i3 in Wprime, so using more power isnt terrible as you would like to make it.

AtenRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
Yuriman
Platinum Member
 
Yuriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,900
Default

Perhaps the OP can get a 2nd-hand i5 or i7 in the classifieds? Maybe even a Nehalam-based chip. There's an i7 920 combo with motherboard + RAM going for $250 in classifieds right now, which is about what you'd expect to spend in just an i3 or FX + board, and it's without a doubt much faster.
__________________
3570K @ 4.6GHz 1.29v | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Gigabyte HD7850 2GB @ 1125/1575 | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 1.25v | OCZ Agility 3 240GB | WD Green 1.5GB | BFG LS 680w | Skyhawk MSR-4610
Yuriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.