· Technical Forum Issues
· Personal Forum Issues
· Suggestion Box
· Moderator Resources
· Moderator Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
SSSnail
Lifer

Default What's the best 10-inch tablet for the money?

I've looked at the Sony Xperia

And the Samsung Note 10.1

Haven't tried out the Microsoft Surface yet, but probably will soon. What do you guys think is the best tablet for the money?

Alex Smith fan.

Traditional Chinese Herbs and Supplements
SSSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
NikolaeVarius
Lifer

Wait for Nexus 10 within the week
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
zerocool84
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaeVarius View Post
This
zerocool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Infrnl
Golden Member

What about the asus tablets?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
DLeRium
Lifer

iPad 4, then the Nexus 10.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
jpeyton
SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs

Nexus 10
jpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
s44
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrnl View Post
What about the asus tablets?
If you're interested in keyboard use (really, really long-life netbook), then definitely.

Otherwise that Nexus 10 looks killer.
s44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Nexus 10 by far.

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Ravynmagi
Platinum Member

In no particular order... iPad 4, ASUS TF700, Acer W510, Samsung ATIV Smart PC, and maybe Nexus 10 (looks a bit chunky and fugly so far though, but great specs).

I wouldn't bother with any Windows RT tablets, no matter how cool the Surface looks.

Windows: Dell XPS 12, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nokia Icon, Nokia Lumia 521
Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, LG G Pad 8.3, Nook HD+
iOS: iPad Mini with Retina, iPhone 5S
Ravynmagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
DLeRium
Lifer

I kinda find it funny when the iPad is instantly ruled out as a tablet option. This isn't even in the same league as iPhone vs Android. In terms of tablet, Android just isn't mature yet and Apple has a commanding lead. That can change, but until we get a unified tablet strategy from Google and Microsoft's Surface ACTUALLY takes off, I really don't see how going "non Apple" is a surefire strategy.
DLeRium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeRium View Post
I kinda find it funny when the iPad is instantly ruled out as a tablet option. This isn't even in the same league as iPhone vs Android. In terms of tablet, Android just isn't mature yet and Apple has a commanding lead. That can change, but until we get a unified tablet strategy from Google and Microsoft's Surface ACTUALLY takes off, I really don't see how going "non Apple" is a surefire strategy.
What's even funnier is multiple people recommending a tablet that hasn't even been announced yet. If using a tablet were only about staring at the SoC, then sure, the Nexus 10 would probably win but it's about so much more than that.

I'd actually wait until the new year when CES rolls around for product announcements. ASUS is ripe to announce a new tablet with the S4 Pro that should be a beast. The Nexus 10 also exists but at this point good hardware won't fix the lack of desire for developers to optimize apps for tablets, particularly the landscape form factor of 10" tablets. The Surface Pro will also be available at the end of February, and then there's the iPad 4 as well. Lots of good stuff.

Last edited by dagamer34; 10-28-2012 at 11:39 PM.
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
podspi
Golden Member

Are we talking what is the best 10-inch tablet, or what is the best value?

Hard to go wrong with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" bang-for-buck. The iPad Mini looks interesting but I wouldn't put it in the 10-inch class (and if you did, there is the Kindle Fire HD).

One positive for the Surface is the larger than 10", but it loses points for low-res. It didn't bother me much when I played with it in the store, but I didn't get much time for it.

Of course, if you want to do inking, the Samsung Note 10.1 is the only reasonable way to go

Personally I would get none. I have an original Kindle Fire which I put AOSP on (runs fantastic btw, do it if you have one and are on the fence), and I honestly don't use it too much. Every once in a while it is nice to have, but overall I think tablets just aren't there yet. I find myself either reaching for a more portable device (smart phone) or more powerful device (ultraportable or desktop machine if I'm nearby).
podspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
bassoprofundo
Golden Member

Best bang for the buck in a 10" right now has to be right here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...3rd-generation

$379 for the undisputed leader in tablets, retina display and all... Unless you need an "HD" Facetime camera or love paying $20-30 for new cables, there's no reason to pay a $120 premium for a "4" model. Same warranty, same immaculate condition...
bassoprofundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
Rick James Astley
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
What's even funnier is multiple people recommending a tablet that hasn't even been announced yet. If using a tablet were only about staring at the SoC, then sure, the Nexus 10 would probably win but it's about so much more than that.
We know everything about it and tt was planned to be announced in the next 12 hours. It's not just the SoC, 4.2 and the display matter a lot. In terms of leaping over it's predecessor, it does the most, steals the show from LG Nexus and arguably offers more of an upgrade over any other Android tablet than say, ipad 4 vs. ipad 3.

Yes, spec sheet does not make a device but this package would have been exciting even if it came through an OEM, fact that it's a Nexus device makes it even more appealing since it won't have issues associated with carrier/OEM devices.
Price is definitely a concern, I don't expect them to pull a xoom but I'm curious how much they will want for it. Assuming it launches at $500 I don't know how long it will take to drop to $400 but once it does go below that mark, it becomes great value.
That display res and (guaranteed) update to 5.0 make for great long term value and that SoC should put a great fight against obsolescence, even more so compared to others.

Quote:
Don't sit on my horse Mr. Scott!

Last edited by Rick James Astley; 10-29-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Rick James Astley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
OBLAMA2009
Diamond Member

lenovo has cheapo tablets, i saw one at best buy for $249, it was 9" and quad core. anybuddy gnow if its any good?
OBLAMA2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #16
finbarqs
Diamond Member

I'm waiting for surface pro for my photoshopping needs with an active pen
finbarqs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #17
xSauronx
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaeVarius View Post
this. i love my transformer infinity, which i think is tops for android tablets right now as far as 10" models go...but that thing should be another step up

Heatware |
xSauronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
DaveStall
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoprofundo View Post
Best bang for the buck in a 10" right now has to be right here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...3rd-generation

$379 for the undisputed leader in tablets, retina display and all... Unless you need an "HD" Facetime camera or love paying $20-30 for new cables, there's no reason to pay a $120 premium for a "4" model. Same warranty, same immaculate condition...
Agreed. I pulled the trigger on that exact deal last night. Too hard to pass up.
DaveStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStall View Post
Agreed. I pulled the trigger on that exact deal last night. Too hard to pass up.
They must be relabeling the regular iPad3 as refurb to clear the inventory because it still haven't sold out days after being on front page of Slickdeals. I'm passing on the deal as FaceTime is very important feature for us so HD front camera is a must. 2X GPU performance on 4 is nice as well.

It's my opinion both the iPad Mini and iPad 4 were in response and anticipation of Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Apple was clearly concerned about Nexus 7 given how they compared the Mini to the 7 and bashed 7 at their event. As for iPad 4, they could've easily waited til next year to update. Updating at 6 months is very un-Apple like and I think Nexus 10 played a role.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
DaveStall
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post
They must be relabeling the regular iPad3 as refurb to clear the inventory because it still haven't sold out days after being on front page of Slickdeals. I'm passing on the deal as FaceTime is very important feature for us so HD front camera is a must. 2X GPU performance on 4 is nice as well.

It's my opinion both the iPad Mini and iPad 4 were in response and anticipation of Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Apple was clearly concerned about Nexus 7 given how they compared the Mini to the 7 and bashed 7 at their event. As for iPad 4, they could've easily waited til next year to update. Updating at 6 months is very un-Apple like and I think Nexus 10 played a role.
Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the iPad 4 (or the new new iPad or whatever they are calling it) but I actually feel like my iPad 1 is still a more than acceptable device for the most part. I just never get to use it these days as my daughter is usually using it. I was actually going to go with a Surface or Android tablet this time around but $379 is just to good to not jump on for me.
DaveStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
zerogear
Diamond Member

I personally think now is the greatest time to break away from Apple (If you're thinking of doing so) considering all the changes to the devices that makes your accessories unusable. But at the moment iPad 3 is at a great price, I was thinking of getting iPad 4, but between iOS 6 crap maps, and new cable. Just no.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
MrX8503
Diamond Member

What will you be doing with this tablet? If you care anything about apps, the Android tablet app library is garbage. If you have an Android smartphone it's already just as usable as its tablet counterpart.

Something else that people don't mention is that Androids software keys in the footer takes up a significant amount of usable space.

I would say the iPad 4th gen currently is the best 10" available. The A6X is crazy powerful and it has real tablet apps.

As for windows, windows RT is a failure IMO. WinPro tablet might be a diff story, but I'd skip the first gen.
MrX8503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
ponyo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post
What will you be doing with this tablet? If you care anything about apps, the Android tablet app library is garbage. If you have an Android smartphone it's already just as usable as its tablet counterpart.

Something else that people don't mention is that Androids software keys in the footer takes up a significant amount of usable space.

I would say the iPad 4th gen currently is the best 10" available. The A6X is crazy powerful and it has real tablet apps.

As for windows, windows RT is a failure IMO. WinPro tablet might be a diff story, but I'd skip the first gen.
What tablet app do you use that you can't get on your phone? A6X might be powerful but Exynos 5 is likely better. And knowing OP, iPad is out of the question unless it's for someone else. So to answer the OP, Nexus 10 is the best tablet.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Puddle Jumper
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX8503 View Post

How many years has it been since you used an android device?

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #25
dagamer34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo View Post

I'd avoid the iPad 3, simply because the A5X was a weak Band-Aid for the kind of power it really needs to drive a retina display with that many pixels. From a performance standpoint, it behaves worse than an iPad 2 because the CPU is the same but needs to decode images 4x in size, and the GPU is barely adequate but is warm and uses quite a bit of power (still, the display uses most of the power).
dagamer34 is offline   Reply With Quote